Team Associated RC10 Worlds build

Talk about your short course trucks, stadium trucks, buggies, and other off-road vehicles here.
Want to see your truck featured on the home page? Enter our monthly contest in the general discussion section!
Forum rules
Want to see your truck featured on the home page? Enter our monthly contest in the general discussion section!
Sixtys Guy
Approved Member

Re: Team Associated RC10 Worlds build

Post by Sixtys Guy » Sat Sep 17, 2016 4:55 am

I'm using the 17.5T Turnigy brushless motor, but not the outlaw version. It isn't too bad.... I've changed to a G-Force 17.5T motor now which has a little more zip, but not that much more than the Turnigy. I wonder how much better the Outlaw version is.

Zac_F85
Approved Member

Post by Zac_F85 » Sun Sep 18, 2016 5:32 pm

That's good to hear! I ordered the rest of the parts today! Got a combined $29 off everything from Amain. Still waiting on the decal set from MCI Racing as well..

Here is all what's coming-
RPM nylon blue 4-40 nuts
AE Blue aluminum counter sunk washers
AE 8-32 blue aluminum nuts
Avid triad "stock" clutch set (B4)
Avid aluminum standard top shaft (B4) - another one to replace the one I have that I cut to much off of (has slop on the bearing)
JC Centro wings
JC gold Dirt Webs rear tires
Kimbrough 201 saver
ProTek RC 4-40 x 1/4" Titanium Flat Head Hex Screw - chassis to motor plate w/ Blue counter sunk washers
ProTek RC 4-40 x 5/16" Titanium Flat Head Hex Screw - rear bearing carrier w/ blue counter sunk washers
ProTek RC 4-40 x 7/8" Titanium Cap Head Hex Screw - new longer upper shock screws
ProTek RC 8-32 x 1/2" Titanium Flat Head Hex Screw - arm mounts, bulk head
ProTek RC 8-32 x 1/4" Titanium Flat Head Hex Screw - chassis
ProTek RC 3x6mm Titanium Button Head Hex Screws - servo arm to servo
ProTek RC 3x8mm Titanium Cap Head Hex Screw - motor screws

Separate order -
Team Associated Aluminum #4 Washers (20)
Lunsford .215" Short Broached Titanium Ball Studs (2)
Lunsford .250" Medium Broached Titanium Ball Studs (2)
Lunsford Associated SC10 Titanium Ball Stud Kit (14) (someone bought the B4 buggy kit so had to get the SC10 2wd kit which is the same)

Ebay -
AE 9911 cvd bones from Power Hobby
Team Blue Groove RC10 Stealth body (has a B4 cockpit with RC10 sides, comes with a wing, and a under tray as well)
2 RC10's, 2 Losi's, 2 B4.1 Worlds, TLT-1 Grave Digger,

Zac_F85
Approved Member

Post by Zac_F85 » Sat Sep 24, 2016 7:39 pm

Well I got a lot done, got the CVD issue figured out, got the rest of the parts orders except the body, and not only got it to a roller, but got it running last night. refined it today a little. Had to switch to B4 rear wheels to meet ROAR rules.

Weighed it twice now - just did this morning and was 1,538 grams with 5 pieces of 1/4oz lead, and my Worlds body and interior.

Changed a few things this morning since the last update and last night -

Tried both 9760 and 9911 CVD bone's and both did not work -
Cut down the battery strap to fit the ESC behind the battery
Fully mounted/wired the electronics
Machined down a new aluminum top shaft
Modified the Worlds kit rear axles
Modified a pair of B4.1 CVD bones to work
Shaved down the gear cover by the upper link to clear the RPM rod end
Cut down 2 long titanium cap head screws for the gear cover
Used cut ends of bolts for new battery strap studs
Cut and mounted a wing
Hollow set screw in the pinion
Added spacers to the steering servo link ball stud (rack side) and flipped the servo end ball stud around to the other side of the arm

Waiting for the body, and still need to glue the tires which I'm not looking forward to..

Zac_F85
Approved Member

Post by Zac_F85 » Sat Sep 24, 2016 7:41 pm

Zac_F85
Approved Member

Post by Zac_F85 » Sat Sep 24, 2016 7:42 pm

Sixtys Guy
Approved Member

Post by Sixtys Guy » Sat Sep 24, 2016 8:31 pm

Looks great Zac! Looking forward to seeing the race results!

Zac_F85
Approved Member

Post by Zac_F85 » Sat Sep 24, 2016 10:06 pm

Sixtys Guy wrote:Looks great Zac! Looking forward to seeing the race results!
510 Raceway starts up the indoor winter series sometime in November so hopefully I can get a solid day in on the track before racing..

Zac_F85
Approved Member

Post by Zac_F85 » Sun Sep 25, 2016 2:34 pm

I looked just now and there is enough room to move the inner camber ball stud up on the tower, I will likely go that route if the steering hitting becomes a problem at full droop.. I'm going to take it out and break it in on my road here today since it's dry out.

Small update -
Took a AE blue anodized 4-40 nyloc nut, and drilled and tapped it for 5-40 threads - to replace the steel nut it had on the end of the slipper clutch
Glued the tires up last night
Added a 3mm aluminum spacer and a 7/8" long titanium bolt to the bottom of the rear shocks to align them better
Added nitro fuel line to the bottoms of all the shocks to act as travel limiters
Got a final weigh in - it's heavyish!

So I think the new body with a decent paint job, personal transponder will do the trick to get it above weight, and only have to add weight for tuning purposes!

Weight was taken with a lighter B4.1 body, was 1,496 grams, and 2 1/4oz adhesive backed lead weights got it up to 1,508 grams! So will likely not add an interior ahaha

Zac_F85
Approved Member

Post by Zac_F85 » Sun Sep 25, 2016 6:23 pm

Test drive was a failure. I think the Orange RX receiver is junk, I found out the hard way that as soon as you get more 3ft from the buggy the radio no longer works.. YIKES almost lost my fresh electronics to a pond! SO so much for a transponder.. going to buy a new Spectrum receiver and a large suit case to make a travel box out of!

Zac_F85
Approved Member

Post by Zac_F85 » Mon Oct 03, 2016 12:26 am

Reply 1-
I messed with setting already though, put it in blinky mode, and turned the punch down a little, which I might turn back up haha

I stayed up last night and got the TBG Stealth body trimmed, it doesn't fit real well, especially with the big bores.. I'll post pics tonight as I'll probably paint it in some retro fashion

Reply 2-
Well got the new receiver installed, and bound. turns out the antenna in my DX3 was broken, I proceeded to break it more when I took it apart. Soldered the antenna back on to board, and fired it up.. it's F'd only worked til about 40ft away and was VERY glitchy and would not bind well. Brakes also did not work.. luckily I got it for free.. might send it to Spektrum and see if they will refurb it for me..

I grabbed my DX2E and that bound right up and works great.. sad news.. it is half as fast as it should be and was faster 5 minutes before I bound the DX2.. Not sure what to do really. I reset the ESC, but I think I might have hurt the motor. Gearing is 30/76 so it should book pretty good. I'm 90% I could run faster than it is..

Going to let it cool down and try again in an hour or so..

Reply 3-
Well bound the new receiver and found out it was the transmitter, broken antenna.. broke down and found a newer DX3C transmitter, so I can have up to 20 cars on 1 transmitter which I don't think the other DX3 could do so that will be AWESOME! So far going to have 3 RC10's and 2 Losi's on it haha with plans for 1 more RC10..

So ya ordered a 34t pinion for it as well to try to get more wheel speed out of it, was testing it on a dead battery but fully charged wasn't much difference.. also swapped to the 72t spur gear with a little gain.. tried to program the ESC to the DX2 and it wouldn't do it so I'm going to wait til the new transmitter shows up this week..