Aristocraft-Hitec Dolphin

Talk about your short course trucks, stadium trucks, buggies, and even on-road cars here.
Want to see your truck featured on the home page? Enter our monthly contest in the general discussion section!
Forum rules
Want to see your truck featured on the home page? Enter our monthly contest in the general discussion section!
SFC K
Site Admin
First real R/C car: Clod Buster!

Aristocraft-Hitec Dolphin

Post by SFC K » Sat Nov 08, 2014 9:01 pm

I picked this thing up today off of Craigslist for 10 bucks. It was posted on there for over 12 days so I decide for the 10 spot why not.

Once I got it home, it really looked interesting enough and has some old radio/ESC gear from Aristacraft and came with a nice looking Challenger-260 2 channel radio. Its 4WD and is chain driven. It has some shocks similar to the AYK ones and super soft tires. On the side of the chassis is says it was made in Korea. The guy I bought it from said he had this when he was a kid and has not been used much at all. I learned that it is made by Aristocraft-Hitec and called the Dolphin over on RC10talk.

After doing some reading on these they made three versions (Thanks to Lowgear for the info!):

Koala: 2wd, plastic friction shocks, white rims, shared the same body with the Dolphin.

Kangaroo: 2wd, nice aluminum oil filled shocks, yellow rims, had its own unique body.

Dolphin: 4wd, nice aluminum oil filled shocks, grey rims, shared the same body with the Koala.

I plan on cleaning this up and parking it on the shelf. It's in really great shape and is just one of those odd finds, and want to preserve it. :wink:

Jeff

Sixtys Guy
First real R/C car: Jet Hopper!

Re: Aristocraft-Hitec Dolphin

Post by Sixtys Guy » Sat Nov 08, 2014 9:24 pm

That's cool. I remember seeing pics of them in the 80's in the RCCA mags. There was a fourth version.... A monster truck - the Wildebeest. If you google it you should find some pics. If I remember correctly some parts were compatible with Tamiya models.

SFC K
Site Admin

Post by SFC K » Wed Nov 12, 2014 11:44 pm

I started tearing this apart last night getting it ready for a bath. I took the wheels off and noticed the lack of axle pins. I find it hard to believe this is an efficient way to get the power to the ground. No bearings in the hubs either so their has to be some serious drag in the drive train too.

I did pull all the electronics out for ease of cleaning but the motor was a pain in the butt. One screw was very stubborn to break loose but once it was free I was able to twist the motor with pinion right out. This is going to be as far as I go for the tear down even though I am itching to see more.

Should I replace the front and rear bushings with bearings or just leave it all original? Over all it is very clean with a few scrapes on the bumper mount and the tires are worn just a bit.

\Image
Jeff

DarkSammy
Approved
First real R/C car: OFNA Dominator

Post by DarkSammy » Thu Nov 13, 2014 3:06 am

This is so cool! Takes me right back to my Jet Hopper as an 8 year old. Good times
TTR Centurion LTD, TTR Tremor, TTR Ripper Pro, Gorillamaxx G4, Gorillamaxx G1, Centralemaxx Ph@ntom, DUH Engineering Titan.

SFC K
Site Admin

Post by SFC K » Fri Nov 14, 2014 11:42 pm

I finished cleaning it up and put it back together today and decide to just to leave the bushings.

I was going to use one of my batteries but they all have Deans, and this comes with the yucky Tamiya connector. The stick pack that came with it was dead. I charged it for a bit and tried again and the buggy was racing full speed (good thing I had it on a stand :shock: ) and died after about 15 seconds. I think the battery will need a bit more juice. :(

Anyway, this is how it turned out. Still waiting for the battery to charge so I can test the electronics.

Jeff

SFC K
Site Admin

Post by SFC K » Fri Nov 14, 2014 11:44 pm

DarkSammy wrote:This is so cool! Takes me right back to my Jet Hopper as an 8 year old. Good times
Thanks! I never even heard of these when I was kid or the Jet Hopper. I will have to look that one up.
Jeff

andymac0035
Site Admin
First real R/C car: grasshopper

Post by andymac0035 » Sat Nov 15, 2014 5:40 am

Swap the connector and put a lipo through it! :explosion:

rex21
Approved
First real R/C car: Kyosho Big Boss

Post by rex21 » Sat Nov 15, 2014 12:01 pm

Looks great Jeff!

Nice work on the clean up, do you want to shine up an RC10T now? Still have not gotten around to it from this spring. :(

SFC K
Site Admin

Post by SFC K » Sat Nov 15, 2014 2:50 pm

andymac0035 wrote:Swap the connector and put a lipo through it! :explosion:
I think it would :explosion: just from plugging it in... :lol:
rex21 wrote:Looks great Jeff!

Nice work on the clean up, do you want to shine up an RC10T now? Still have not gotten around to it from this spring. :(
Thanks! You better get cleaning. It only took me a couple of days off and on to clean this up. :wink: I have a 10T that needs to be cleaned up as well. #-o
Jeff

Diamond Dave
First real R/C car: Losi Jr-T (1989), Losi Jrx2 (1990)
FS Racing King Kong
AlumaClod
Losi Ten-T X 2
Traxxas Slash
TA MGT 8.0, TA TC4, TT01 Drift
SCX-10 Hybrid
Tamiya CR-01, Porsche 959
Evader ST, XTM X-cellerator
Speedwerks Turmoil EBuggy
ProBoats ThunderCat
Six Heli's, Champ plane