The "pick-a-buggy" thread

Talk about your short course trucks, stadium trucks, buggies, and even on-road cars here.
Want to see your truck featured on the home page? Enter our monthly contest in the general discussion section!
Forum rules
Want to see your truck featured on the home page? Enter our monthly contest in the general discussion section!
andymac0035
Site Admin
First real R/C car: grasshopper

The "pick-a-buggy" thread

Post by andymac0035 » Mon Oct 20, 2014 5:00 pm

Percymon is going to be like.... #-o ...... :roll: .... when he see's this.... as we have chatted endlessly on the subject. :lol:

Short version:
I want to get into the 2WD buggy class.
I want to have fun.
We race on an indoor clay track.
I currently have a budget of $300, but that may change as overtime at work happens.

Buggies I like for various reasons (more to be explained in long version later)

Team Durango 210 V2
Tamiya TRF201
Tamiya DT-03
Traxxas Bandit

Buggy's not listed are either buggy's I don't know about..... or more likely.... don't want to deal with.

**********************************************************************************

LONG VERSION...... LOL

I sold a bunch of stuff yesterday. My stock slash and rustler are gone, (rustler got torn down completely..... swapped some parts with my LCG slash.... and got re-built as a stock slash from my spare parts). It was just too good a deal to not do, and give me a chance to start fresh.

As I mentioned above, I want to get into the 2WD buggy class here at my local track, which is an indoor clay surface track. It is getting cold now, and while it is heated, it's still not warm in there.... so overly fragile buggy's will not be making me happy, as it's hard to have fun racing when your buggy is sitting in the pits busted....

Important note #1
I have tires, servo, and radio already, and a buddy of mine has a SV2/5700 combo I can get for $50.

Important note #2
Except for the bandit, the buggy's listed below are all kits.

Important note #3
I have indeed been looking at used, but listing various buggy's that come and go off of R/C tech is hard to keep up with.

Buggy's I like for various reasons, listed from what I feel is most competitive, to least competitive.

Team Durango 210 V2 $275 (less after discounts from tower hobbies)
It's new, it's all metric, and I've driven one, and I liked it.
It's also expensive and just barely within my current budget.
I have never built a ball diff before, this is an unknown and that is an issue for me.

Tamiya TRF201 $183
To me this looks like a metric version of the AE B4 and I like the way the B4 drives.
It's Tamiya so you know instructions and quality will be top-notch.
I admit, I have a soft spot for tamiya... this is Clodtalk after all.
No actual experience with this buggy though, but it got props from percymon, so that counts for something.
The ball diff ..... as mentioned above is an issue, as it's an unknown to me.

Tamiya Neo fighter DT-03 I forget list price, but it's $120 after my tower discount.
I have liked the looks of this buggy from day-one and it is what started my conversation with percy about buggy's.
It's cheap and comes with a a motor, esc that does both brushed and sensored brushless.
^^^ That saves some coin right off the bat.
It comes with tires too, but those would probably be useless on our track, but I have tires so not a big deal.
It uses a (rather large) gear diff and looks very simple and easy to build.
It's an entry level buggy though, so racing it will be an uphill battle, but the buy-in does offset that.

Traxxas Bandit prices vary from different options.
I can get the VXL version as a roller for $150, or the XL-5 version RTR for $175
Having electronics (XL-5) is nice, but the servo is slow and the VXL roller comes with adjustable camber links and hex hardware.
The XL-5 radio has no adjustments other than steering trim... so the radio is no advantage over the roller VXL.
Regardless of version, the fact that it's a traxxas means parts-support galore.
I also have many traxxas spare parts on hand, so that's a potential money saver as well.
I doubt any buggy is more durable than the traxxas bandit.
I also doubt any buggy is as heavy......
It's also only allowed at a club-level, as it's longer and wider (up front) than ROAR rules allow.

Buggies not listed on purpose... I will NOT buy these, but have indeed looked into them.

LOSI 22.... did not like and battery size/fitment is an issue.
AE B5 ..... did like, but battery fitment... I'm not buying special sized batteries.
AE B4 ... do like the way this drives a lot.... will not ... absolutely NOT deal with imperial hardware and/or bearings.
Kyosho.... out of my price range

Thoughts ????? :?:

percymon
Approved
First real R/C car: Missed out on RC as a kid, now at the wrong side of forty I'm more than making up !

Re: The "pick-a-buggy" thread

Post by percymon » Mon Oct 20, 2014 5:56 pm

#-o #-o #-o

You know my thoughts Andy..

DT-03 - entry level, cheap but could be fun (or frustrating) trying to get this competitive

TRF201 - nice kit but Tamiya seem to be half a model behind the leaders; they keep bringing out upgrade kits but only just keep up with AE etc and these upgrades don't come cheap.

Durango - great chassis, mid or rear motor layout gives you options out the box. Well balanced racer that mat drop in price soon as the V2 has been around a few months now. Don't dismiss a used V1 at half the outlay

I know u hate the imperial hardware but with AE you'd be near the leaders straight out the box. Local cheap parts supply is a bonus if you don't want to hold a load if spares .

The anguish continues ;)

SFC K
Site Admin
First real R/C car: Clod Buster!

Post by SFC K » Mon Oct 20, 2014 8:44 pm

I have no clue on which buggy to pick other than the AE brand is the ticket. Proof is in the wins. Get over the hardware Andy and move on. :shock:

:mrgreen:
Jeff

andymac0035
Site Admin

Post by andymac0035 » Mon Oct 20, 2014 9:45 pm

SFC K wrote:I have no clue on which buggy to pick other than the AE brand is the ticket. Proof is in the wins. Get over the hardware Andy and move on.
[-( [-( [-( [-( [-( [-( [-( [-( [-(

Nope, I recently dealt with an SC10...... got it running and it reminded me very loud and clear just how much I dislike AE.

I would have considered the B5 if not for the special battery requirements.

I kinda' wanted to post my questions on out sister-site... but seeing how it's RC10talk..... I kinda; thought that might be a bad idea....

JKRacing37
Approved
First real R/C car: Tamiya Lunchbox

Post by JKRacing37 » Tue Oct 21, 2014 11:42 am

andymac0035 wrote:
Short version:
I want to get into the 2WD buggy class.
I want to have fun.
We race on an indoor clay track.
I currently have a budget of $300, but that may change as overtime at work happens.

Buggies I like for various reasons (more to be explained in long version later)

Team Durango 210 V2
Tamiya TRF201
Tamiya DT-03
Traxxas Bandit
None. I wouldn't buy any of them. Here is why:

I owned a Durango 210. Sweet buggy, suspect reliability. Ate rear shock towers due to design flaw. I hate to say this but far too much adjustability. It's very easy to get lose in the set up of it and start chasing adjustments that you need not chase. Wheel hex size is a serious PITA. There are other odds and ends parts for the 210 that should be upgraded for reliability. I'd have to dig into my email to remember which ones. I remember the ball ends need upgrade to prevent them from popping off and the stock links seem to be made from butter. For the price it should be a much better buggy than it is.

The TRF201 wouldn't be bad but is getting long in the tooth. I might worry about it being disco'd.

I don't consider the DT-03 to be a racing buggy. Same goes for the Bandit. I know you like being different so I doubt that will sway you from either one but I've seen the Bandit in action at the local track and in buggy class it's like showing up to a gunfight with a baseball bat.

Racing buggy is a different beast than SCT though. A bad buggy will sour you on the whole thing. Set up is super critical with buggy. With SCT there is a pretty big window where you can get away with a set up being off. With buggy that window tightens up considerably. They handle so much quicker that is your set up is off things can get out of hand in a hurry.

Also they are fragile, especially compared to a SCT. Nothing used to piss me off more than a SCT driver deciding buggy looked cool and jumping in the class without adjusting his driving style. Bumping and banging in buggy class is a surefire recipe to get parts broken and tick off anyone you're on the track with. I used to race Team C buggies and they were really good EXCEPT for the front kick up plate. Team C went through 4 different material changes and redesigns trying to toughen them up. I wanted to be different than the rest, but the eventual reliability issues chased me from the class.

Anyone that asks about buggy, Losi or AE is the only way to go IMO. Take a long look at the B4. For less than $30 you can get a couple of allen drivers that will cover the buggy and a pack of screws from hex head for spares. the B4 isn't the hot ticket and you can pick up used examples DIRT CHEAP.

Good luck with the decision! Buggy class is fun but can be extremely frustrating if you start with the wrong equipment.

andymac0035
Site Admin

Post by andymac0035 » Tue Oct 21, 2014 11:11 pm

I'm not really a fan of the whole bumping+banging thing... and 2WD SCT (mod) here has the least of that. I've been driving in stadium truck for a while too, so open wheels are not a problem for me to adjust to.

I've driven several buggy's during practice now and I know I want to get one.

As for the B4..... that IS getting disco'd. ;)
I may have to give the TRF201 some more thought, but I don't see it going away unless tamiya has it's replacement, and I don't think they do.

I was considering adding the sand viper (DT-02) to my list, but that I fear might indeed be in danger of getting disco'd with the DT-03 out now.

I do not like AE... I do not like LOSI..... I cannot explain it... but I just do not like , want, or feel any interest towards either.

If something happenned and all that was left in the world was those 2... I suppose I would have to go B5 and deal with the battery requirements..... but right now I don't have to and I don't want to.

I do however, despite how stubborn I'm sure I'm sounding.... very much appreciate the input John. :)

Zac_F85
Approved
First real R/C car: Tamiya Lunchbox and Playtron Doberman

Post by Zac_F85 » Wed Oct 22, 2014 12:59 am

TRF201 will not happen for $300 unless it's very used- the kit is $350 then you need - radio, servo, ESC, motor, and tires and if class racing it - you'll need a 13.5/17.5 brushless setup (Tekin RS Gen2 spec setup is $250 - Novak 17.5T setup is $175)

I plan to go Team Associated - cheap and made in America - and factory backed - My coworker that races AE broke a couple arms during racing and a AE spokes person replaced the arms so he could keep racing for free... and he is not sponsored by them.. just a regular kid

RC104.2 or RC104.1 Worlds kit (modern buggy chassis w/ classic style RC10 body)

EDIT - the AE Worlds kit is on sale $120 off total at RPP hobby which I plan to get as it comes with every AE hop up

RC10B4.2 $250 shipped and $20 off.. - buy a decent 2S Lipo for $50-$70
http://www3.omnimodels.com/cgi-bin/woi0 ... CD93**&P=7
2 RC10's, 2 Losi's, 2 B4.1 Worlds, TLT-1 Grave Digger,

andymac0035
Site Admin

Post by andymac0035 » Wed Oct 22, 2014 6:30 am

Zac_F85 wrote:TRF201 will not happen for $300 unless it's very used- the kit is $350
You are mistaken.... there is more than one TRF201 kit offered.
This one is $183 shipped from Tamiya USA
http://www.tamiyausa.com/product/item.p ... t-id=42167

percymon
Approved
First real R/C car: Missed out on RC as a kid, now at the wrong side of forty I'm more than making up !

Post by percymon » Wed Oct 22, 2014 9:39 am

Dt-02 wonlt be disco'd for a long time - too many race series in Japan based around it currently. Its another entry level club racer / first buggy type chassis - it can be made better and in stock classes it can compete. Oil shocks, ball diff + universals, front shock tower cross brace and better tyres are the minimum mods required. You can flip the front arms left/right to gain ca 10mm wheelbase which helps.

DT-03 is a narrow chassis tub, so not as easy as DT-02 to keep weight low down. It is longer wheelbase from the off though.

As stated neither are exactly mid range club racers, and if you are in with a bunch od reasonable drivers with B4s then you are going to be off the pace most of the time. I think it'll be more frustrating trying to get one competitive than fun.

You know there are used Losi's / B4s and TRF201s around for reasonable money - the B4 (despite your intolerance of imperial hardware) is by far the easiest buggy to run (ease of drive, parts availability etc)

Don;t dismiss the TRF201 but buy one at the right price with an extended chassis.

Zac_F85
Approved
First real R/C car: Tamiya Lunchbox and Playtron Doberman

Post by Zac_F85 » Wed Oct 22, 2014 10:52 pm

andymac0035 wrote:
Zac_F85 wrote:TRF201 will not happen for $300 unless it's very used- the kit is $350
You are mistaken.... there is more than one TRF201 kit offered.
This one is $183 shipped from Tamiya USA
http://www.tamiyausa.com/product/item.p ... t-id=42167
Touche' ! They got some in and realized they can't sell them for $500+ when everyone else sells them for $340 (tries to) LOL I bought my 201 at their last sale - nice kit but would not get another - I just got the Worlds RC10 kit for $120 off and free shipping at RPP hobby and plan on getting a RC104.2 RS RTR here later this winter..

I'm converted LOL I'm not much into Tamiya anymore besides Clods/TXT's, and on road chassis like the TA-05. It's hard to beat a RTR brushless vehicle for sub $300 shipped (minus a battery)

Andy let me know if you're interested I'm looking to sell my DT-02 Sand Viper - they come with all the basic goodies (bearings, oil shocks, dog bones) - it's a good runner and is RTR and I already made a front shock tower brace as percy mentioned haha
2 RC10's, 2 Losi's, 2 B4.1 Worlds, TLT-1 Grave Digger,

JKRacing37
Approved
First real R/C car: Tamiya Lunchbox

Post by JKRacing37 » Thu Oct 23, 2014 2:31 pm

andymac0035 wrote:I'm not really a fan of the whole bumping+banging thing... and 2WD SCT (mod) here has the least of that. I've been driving in stadium truck for a while too, so open wheels are not a problem for me to adjust to.
2wd SCT was the worst for banging at my old track. And I wasn't worried about you adjusting...I was referring to others jumping in with the "rubbin is racin" mentality.
andymac0035 wrote:As for the B4..... that IS getting disco'd. ;)
Yep but parts will be around for a LONG time. Tamiya isn't so keen on that - let's not forget the whole "the Clod is disco'd good luck getting tires" debacle not too long ago. Shoot - I have a friend that races a T3 and he still gets parts pretty easily for that!
andymac0035 wrote:I may have to give the TRF201 some more thought, but I don't see it going away unless tamiya has it's replacement, and I don't think they do.
Tell that to 801xt owners...LOL!
andymac0035 wrote:I was considering adding the sand viper (DT-02) to my list, but that I fear might indeed be in danger of getting disco'd with the DT-03 out now.
If you were going to go either of those routes I'd steer you towards the Bandit.
andymac0035 wrote:I do not like AE... I do not like LOSI..... I cannot explain it... but I just do not like , want, or feel any interest towards either.

If something happenned and all that was left in the world was those 2... I suppose I would have to go B5 and deal with the battery requirements..... but right now I don't have to and I don't want to.
A $32 battery is holding you back from buying a true racing buggy instead of an updated Tamiya Grasshopper?

http://www.valuehobby.com/power-systems ... horty.html

andymac0035
Site Admin

Post by andymac0035 » Thu Oct 23, 2014 11:43 pm

JKRacing37 wrote:
andymac0035 wrote:I was considering adding the sand viper (DT-02) to my list, but that I fear might indeed be in danger of getting disco'd with the DT-03 out now.
If you were going to go either of those routes I'd steer you towards the Bandit.
Really?...... You would suggest a bandit over a DT-03?
That's interesting

Ironically I just spotted a nice DT-03 with lots of hop-ups on it.

The grasshopper analagy is a bad one, as I loved mine and have fond memories.
However.... I get where your going with that.

I will say though that trying to get me to want an AE is like trying to get a guy that likes Ford Mustangs to want a Chevy Corvette.

As for that battery thing, you know as well as I do that I would need more than one pack. I did think about it (B5) but it did not help (at the time) that when I went to look for batts to fit it that shorties were out of stock where I was looking.

There's a nice looking durango 210 (V1) I could get right now, and it's pretty much the only thing stopping me from pulling the trigger on the hopped up DT-03.

Irio - esos
Approved
First real R/C car: 1997ish model RC10T
Black annodized chassis, Gold shocks, the works~

Post by Irio - esos » Fri Oct 24, 2014 4:32 pm

Have you considered 3Racing? I havn't run their buggy but I did have one of their on road cars and was fairly impressed by it. Look up the 3racing Cactus like the one here

http://www.ebay.com/itm/like/201186806043?lpid=82

It looks like a AE/Losi clone but it will have metric hardware.

Also I've run AE for years and for each vehicles generation its generally well refined.

Irio - esos
Approved
First real R/C car: 1997ish model RC10T
Black annodized chassis, Gold shocks, the works~

Post by Irio - esos » Fri Oct 24, 2014 4:33 pm

Oh also they offer it in a mid engine version but dont see it listed.

andymac0035
Site Admin

Post by andymac0035 » Fri Oct 24, 2014 9:44 pm

It showed the mid-engine in the related items below when I viewed the link.
Interesting..... how is parts-availability though?