turning a Traxxas Slash into a on road racer

Talk about your short course trucks, stadium trucks, buggies, and other off-road vehicles here.
Want to see your truck featured on the home page? Enter our monthly contest in the general discussion section!
Forum rules
Want to see your truck featured on the home page? Enter our monthly contest in the general discussion section!
Zac_F85
Approved Member

Re: turning a Traxxas Slash into a on road racer

Post by Zac_F85 » Thu Oct 30, 2014 1:25 am

SFC K wrote:Maybe look for some longer front axles so you could double them up.
I'm not sure of any that would work LOL I suppose any 5mm diameter one would?
2 RC10's, 2 Losi's, 2 B4.1 Worlds, TLT-1 Grave Digger,

SFC K
Administrator

Post by SFC K » Thu Oct 30, 2014 1:41 am

I wonder if these would help? I did a quick search on Tower as well for the stub axles and Traxxas uses the same one for the slash, stampede, and rustler. 32mm are the longest I could find.

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wt ... LXSGZ9&P=Z
Jeff

Zac_F85
Approved Member

Post by Zac_F85 » Thu Oct 30, 2014 2:30 am

SFC K wrote:I wonder if these would help? I did a quick search on Tower as well for the stub axles and Traxxas uses the same one for the slash, stampede, and rustler. 32mm are the longest I could find.

The link shows rear up rights or are they for the front?
Anyone know if there is a Emaxx outer axle the same diameter as the Slash one's?

That is one of the problems I have - using the small hub pin with the larger Emaxx hubs..

SFC K
Administrator

Post by SFC K » Thu Oct 30, 2014 2:48 am

Zac_F85 wrote:
SFC K wrote:I wonder if these would help? I did a quick search on Tower as well for the stub axles and Traxxas uses the same one for the slash, stampede, and rustler. 32mm are the longest I could find.

The link shows rear up rights or are they for the front?
Anyone know if there is a Emaxx outer axle the same diameter as the Slash one's?

That is one of the problems I have - using the small hub pin with the larger Emaxx hubs..
You know what, those are for the rears. :roll:
Jeff

andymac0035
Administrator

Post by andymac0035 » Thu Oct 30, 2014 6:07 am

The (2WD) pro-trac front arms are indeed what you want.
They bolt right up.

Zac_F85
Approved Member

Post by Zac_F85 » Thu Oct 30, 2014 11:38 pm

andymac0035 wrote:The (2WD) pro-trac front arms are indeed what you want.
They bolt right up.
So they're wider? I clicked on the SFC's link to the Pro-line site and found the 2wd arms but no info on them :(

SFC K
Administrator

Post by SFC K » Thu Oct 30, 2014 11:58 pm

Zac_F85 wrote:
andymac0035 wrote:The (2WD) pro-trac front arms are indeed what you want.
They bolt right up.
So they're wider? I clicked on the SFC's link to the Pro-line site and found the 2wd arms but no info on them :(
"The Protrac kit does a few things. It is much more than just some extra width. The Protrac kit adds 11mm to “each” front arms, for a total of 26mm increased arm length on the front, and 3mm rear arm length for the back."

http://traxxas.com/forums/showthread.ph ... ive-Thread
Jeff

Zac_F85
Approved Member

Post by Zac_F85 » Fri Oct 31, 2014 12:46 am

Perfect! 22mm total sounds good to me! haha I will be buying the arms, some wider turnbuckles, and the shorter rear arms Andy posted about for sure..

Anyone know how much shorter the Bandit arms are? I found a thread from 2010 on RCSC.com that said 3/16" or so - I narrowed mine just over a 1/2"

Zac_F85
Approved Member

Post by Zac_F85 » Sun Nov 02, 2014 9:57 pm

Maiden voyage was a success! goes pretty good - I broke the 12T in - in water and had a basically fresh charged 5000 20C 2S on it - tires started smoking during the burn out haha launches real good with hot tires - it will pull wheelies so I'll be really thinking of a wheelie bar system here

I plan on semi locking the dif I think as well as going brushless and 3S power.. and it needs the LCG chassis as well it dives hard on braking and the back end comes around on it..

Anyone know of softer springs? The rears are a little hard and it seems to nose over and lose traction off the launch..

Zac_F85
Approved Member

Post by Zac_F85 » Mon Nov 03, 2014 12:04 am

Welp made the final order for this car! (til a final brushless system is ordered)

- Tamiya TA04 ball end connectors (replacing the one's I added)
- Traxxas 2wd LCG kit
- Traxxas -20% rear springs
- Traxxas Tmaxx 105mm turnbuckles
- STRC 14mm Slash hubs
- HPI 83mm turnbuckles
- Pro-line Protrac front arms
- Armma 35.5mm threaded hinge pins (going to clamp rear uprights)
- Trinity 4500mah 50C 3S lipo

Going to install my AE 3300kv brushless setup here

Zac_F85
Approved Member

Post by Zac_F85 » Fri Nov 07, 2014 12:29 am

Hey guys sorry for the hiatus! I went to Fargo (3 hour round trip) yesterday after work.. bought my cousins Jato 3.3 for $200 pretty much complete - I'll start a thread on that this weekend! Going to tear it down, clean, and reassemble it. Then post it for sale!

Yes the Demon body might be a tad smaller I think plus the funny car tires are 0 backspace - the stock Slash tires didn't fit when the whole thing was stock OOTB. So there was no way this was going to work with out cutting the arms..

Anyway on to the Slash! - Got my omnimodels parts order yesterday! installed most everything last night (up til 12am LOL). I need to get a new ESC/motor combo though as 1. the AE systems wires are to short 2. the throttle is backwards from what it's supposed to be. I also lost an "E" clip from the front left arm king pin (anyone got an extra I can buy)

here is the new setup -

Chassis -
Traxxas LCG kit

Front -
Pro-line Protrac front arms
camber links are the old stock rear links (direct fit)
tie rods are traxxas Slash ends and HPI M4x83mm links (need 3mm or so trimmed off total) as they bottm out and have a tad to much toe-in but it's tolerable to me
stock LCG kit springs w/ 1 upper spring cup flipped and 1 small preload spacer
Still need to figure out a hex system for the front so the wheels are easier to get on/off

Rear -
stock lower arms (ends cut off to nitro shock mounts/ 16-18mm) - 1/8" drill bit used in nitro shock mount (through both tabs)
Arrma pnAR330144 hinge pins through uprights
Tamiya shock pistons used as spacers for rear uprights (moved wheelbase forward)
Tamiya 28mm turnbuckle/ rod ends/ 5mm ball studs - a 34mm or so link and 19mm ball ends would be better as these barely work
drive shafts cut over 1/2" (trim as needed)
STRC Slash 14mm hubs
Slash Orange -20% springs no preload
0 camber

PICS! I'll be painting the body this weekend pending I like the Purple I got for it..

Zac_F85
Approved Member

Post by Zac_F85 » Sat Nov 08, 2014 6:41 pm

The wheelie bar I made has a spring action just like a 1:1 car so if it lifts the front tires the wheelie bar will not slap the ground - undloading the rear tires. I will look into that wheelie bar though.. If I get more power in it I will probably change to 32p gears.. this should be good for now..

PICS!

TEASER! It's not done yet, still needs a cleaning and detailing on the outside, as well as make the stock Demon decals that go down the side of the car - looks Blue but is in fact Tamiya Purple - looks SICK I think!

SFC K
Administrator

Post by SFC K » Sat Nov 08, 2014 8:17 pm

The wheelie bar looks great and so does the paint job! Hurry and get it finished. Snow is coming on Monday. :mrgreen:
Jeff

Zac_F85
Approved Member

Post by Zac_F85 » Sat Nov 08, 2014 8:21 pm

SFC K wrote:The wheelie bar looks great and so does the paint job! Hurry and get it finished. Snow is coming on Monday. :mrgreen:
I want to run it before night fall today lol - I just got a lead on a android speedometer app I have to download then it should be ready for a good test hit

I haven't even charged the battery - it's right out of the box lol so we'll see how long it lasts... I'll try to post some video as well!

SFC K
Administrator

Post by SFC K » Sat Nov 08, 2014 8:26 pm

Zac_F85 wrote:
SFC K wrote:The wheelie bar looks great and so does the paint job! Hurry and get it finished. Snow is coming on Monday. :mrgreen:
I want to run it before night fall today lol - I just got a lead on a android speedometer app I have to download then it should be ready for a good test hit

I haven't even charged the battery - it's right out of the box lol so we'll see how long it lasts... I'll try to post some video as well!
LOL :popcorn: If it is a lipo, you might want to give is some juice prior to running it. :wink:
Jeff