turning a Traxxas Slash into a on road racer

Talk about your short course trucks, stadium trucks, buggies, and other off-road vehicles here.
Want to see your truck featured on the home page? Enter our monthly contest in the general discussion section!
Forum rules
Want to see your truck featured on the home page? Enter our monthly contest in the general discussion section!
Zac_F85
Approved Member

turning a Traxxas Slash into a on road racer

Post by Zac_F85 » Mon Oct 20, 2014 1:23 am

Hey guys - I bought Parma's new Muscle 71 SCT body - it actually is a 1971 Dodge Demon - which I own the 1:1 version - so I want to build a Traxxas Slash to bash on road with - like the real car I will not be building this to handle like a true on road car..

My plan is a drag car basically - will not be very true to the planned build of the real car I have but it will be sweet for sure..

- So first on the list -

Parma body - got - will be painted Plum Crazy Purple or close to that and have scale detailing
Traxxas 2wd slash - no battery kit ($209.99)
Traxxas Tmaxx 14mm hubs
Traxxas funny car glued rear wheels/tires (take 14mm hubs)
Traxxas 76t spur
Robinson racing 31t pinion (have a 27t as well as a few others)
AKA 2wd 2.2" front dish wheels (white - will be cut up into a 5 spoke design and painted Silver)
Pro-line Bar Code front tires
RJ Speed interior

I plan on trying it with the XL5/12T first but plans are probably gonna be putting the Team Associated brushless setup out of my SC10RS in it (XP700/3300kv)- then just share the battery with that and this. Probably tune the suspension for on road duty as well.

What speeds do you guys think it will hit? I'd be happy with 30mph with the XL5/12T and 45mph with the brushless setup

The body on a Traxxas Slash

The real car (my actual car)
2 RC10's, 2 Losi's, 2 B4.1 Worlds, TLT-1 Grave Digger,

andymac0035
Administrator

Re: turning a Traxxas Slash into a on road racer

Post by andymac0035 » Mon Oct 20, 2014 2:56 am

go with 83T spur and 31t pinion (and get a 19T for normal driving)
get castle mamba max pro with a 3800kv motor
get battery expansion kit
get 3-cell lipo.
buy 2 pairs of traxxas anaconda wheels+tires for the REAR of a electric rustler

all that will have you pushing the areo limits of that body

Zac_F85
Approved Member

Post by Zac_F85 » Tue Oct 21, 2014 12:47 am

andymac0035 wrote:go with 83T spur and 31t pinion (and get a 19T for normal driving)
get castle mamba max pro with a 3800kv motor
get battery expansion kit
get 3-cell lipo.
buy 2 pairs of traxxas anaconda wheels+tires for the REAR of a electric rustler

all that will have you pushing the areo limits of that body
LOL I'll get the spur... I don't need to spend $500 on a Slash that isn't gonna see dirt or a track..

I am only going to try the brushless setup cause I have it sitting doing nothing..

andymac0035
Administrator

Post by andymac0035 » Tue Oct 21, 2014 1:05 am

Well it will be a smoking dead brushless system that will continue to do nothing if you try and do drag-style speed runs with it all geared up.

SFC K
Administrator

Post by SFC K » Tue Oct 21, 2014 1:08 am

I like where your going with this Zac. I'm really interested in how it will look once you get those wheels mounted, and you are going to make some spoke wheels from dish wheels? :popcorn:
Jeff

Zac_F85
Approved Member

Post by Zac_F85 » Tue Oct 21, 2014 10:47 pm

SFC K wrote:I like where your going with this Zac. I'm really interested in how it will look once you get those wheels mounted, and you are going to make some spoke wheels from dish wheels? :popcorn:
Andy - We'll see about the gearing I just bought it to try it as I've only ever had stock geared brushed Slash's (only went up in pinion to a 23t pinion on the last one)

YA! I can't wait to see those wheels/tires - I love those funny car's but can't justify $1,000 on 2 RC's right now especially that can barely go in a straight line

I was looking at Google pics and seen they're basically flat on the hub side (no backspace) and they're 2" wide so I may have to get out the hobby saw and jig - and cut a 1/2" or more out of the rear arms/ drive shafts - should be ok doing that as the suspension is getting lowered and tuned up for on road duties - I plan on taking the front bumper off as well - not sure if I'll keep it to the point being able to switch it from on road to off road or not - depends on the FC slicks...

Stuff is coming from NV UPS so won't be here til Monday (I was hoping Thursday/Friday so I could mess with it a little this weekend)

I did get the body trimmed out but waiting on the chassis to mount it before going further

Zac_F85
Approved Member

Post by Zac_F85 » Wed Oct 29, 2014 12:46 am

And POW! Got it basically done! I won't lie it was hard to start cutting up a brand new RC (hasn't been driven yet) LOL but it was worth it as it will look great I think once done..

I bought Tmaxx 14mm hubs to replace the 12mm Slash one's (funny car wheels use the same hub). I mounted up the front and rear wheels/tires and tossed the body on - the funny car tires are 13mm wider offset than the Slash tires SO I brain stormed for about an hour on how to narrow the rear - My Dad suggested to put it in the "sway bar mount" (I'm guessing that's what it is)

Sadly a lot of the mods are semi permanent - cutting of a few things - and such. I haven't run it yet and am going to try it with the XL5/12T only going up in pinion to a 24t it the setup proves good I may buy a Castle 3S setup for it and design up a scale functioning wheelie bar for it. Only modding to the front was cutting the coil springs 3 coils each rear shocks are stock just took the preload clips out. Let me know what you guys think?

On to the pics!

Here is how I narrowed it - drilled "sway bar mount" tab w/ 1/8" drill bit all the way through and made a divet in the other tab for the pin to lock into - - Had Tamiya TA05 turnbuckles and some Clod ball studs left over and they worked great for shorter upper links! You can see the outer part I cut off the lower arm - it also lowered it quite a bit which is a bonus! also moved the rear blocks forward as well a good 5mm I'd say..

Last one of the body mounted and the final ride height - going to add the Muscle Machines blower to the hood as well!

SFC K
Administrator

Post by SFC K » Wed Oct 29, 2014 1:09 am

That looks pretty cool! Your dad led you down the right path for narrowing the rear. Stance looks perfect.
Jeff

Zac_F85
Approved Member

Post by Zac_F85 » Wed Oct 29, 2014 1:16 am

SFC K wrote:That looks pretty cool! Your dad led you down the right path for narrowing the rear. Stance looks perfect.
Ha ya! I'm going to mount the blower tonight and plan out an interior then start getting it ready for paint. Going to be Plum crazy Purple I think LOL

I love this car for sure! the XO-1 tires are rock hard however! Hopefully it don't get traction issues to bad.

andymac0035
Administrator

Post by andymac0035 » Wed Oct 29, 2014 5:54 am

This is looking pretty good.
FYI:
Arms for the traxxas bandit are shorter. :wink:

Zac_F85
Approved Member

Post by Zac_F85 » Thu Oct 30, 2014 12:40 am

andymac0035 wrote:This is looking pretty good.
FYI:
Arms for the traxxas bandit are shorter. :wink:
Thanks! good to know
- you know of any longer front arms? - The front could get at least 10mm wider on each side..

It goes really good - the new style XL5/12t is faster for sure than the predecessors - spins like crazy indoors so will have to heat the tires for sure before getting on it outdoors.

So here is a over view of what I did to make up for bad pics-

Front -
Cut 3 coils from stock springs (shoulda only done 2 - was building with out the weight of a battery in it oops) so will have to preload up to lift the front back up with a battery in it
Moved shocks to outer hole in lower arms
Drilled and cut front body mounts down (around 1/4" tall)
took SCT front bumper off

Rear -
Moved shocks to outer hole in lower arms - took large preload spacers out
Drilled the inner ("sway bar tab" I'm calling it) w/ a 1/8" drill bit and made a 1/16"- 1/8" divet w/ the bit in the other tab
Cut the stock lower arm up right mount off at the "sway bar" tab
Cut all 4 parts of the drive shafts 1/2" or so (do not cut them while they're together DUH)
Made new upper links from spare parts I had sitting around (can get the link length for anyone looking to try this)
Lowered body mounts all the way down
Took SCT rear bumper off

SFC K
Administrator

Post by SFC K » Thu Oct 30, 2014 12:52 am

You could double up the hexs in the front to push the wheel out more for the front or find wider hexs. 10mm is not that much too increase the width.

BTW, doesn't Proline make a wide arm set-up for the Slash 4x4 and the 2wd?

http://prolineracing.com/protrac-suspension-kit
Jeff

Zac_F85
Approved Member

Post by Zac_F85 » Thu Oct 30, 2014 1:08 am

SFC K wrote:You could double up the hexs in the front to push the wheel out more for the front or find wider hexs. 10mm is not that much too increase the width.

BTW, doesn't Proline make a wide arm set-up for the Slash 4x4 and the 2wd?

http://prolineracing.com/protrac-suspension-kit
I don't think the stock axles would do doubled hex's - the stock 2wd front hubs are wider than the rears as well - I got the Hexlite wheels for a Losi buggy but they're 10mm LOL so they didn't work out like I planned I just held the hub with a needle nose and tightened the nut down...

I'm still thinking about ways to make the front wider and figure out a hub setup that works.

Also found out on the test run in my living room - it tips easy so the LCG chassis kit might happen as well LOL

Zac_F85
Approved Member

Post by Zac_F85 » Thu Oct 30, 2014 1:19 am

Forgot to add the newest pic- cut, trimmed, and fitted the blower in the hood -

SFC K
Administrator

Post by SFC K » Thu Oct 30, 2014 1:20 am

Maybe look for some longer front axles so you could double them up.

Edit, the fronts on the Slash are 32mm long.

Motor looks Awesome!
Jeff