Andy's LCG Slash 2WD Racer

Talk about your short course trucks, stadium trucks, buggies, and even on-road cars here.
Want to see your truck featured on the home page? Enter our monthly contest in the general discussion section!
Forum rules
Want to see your truck featured on the home page? Enter our monthly contest in the general discussion section!
andymac0035
Site Admin
First real R/C car: grasshopper

Re: Andy's LCG Slash 2WD Racer

Post by andymac0035 » Fri Jan 30, 2015 2:58 am

So.... last week the castle (1406 4-pole) 4600kv motor in my short course truck went out. Took it apart and turned out that the output bearing let go. That explained the odd sounds coming from it... LOL

Go to look for re-build kits...... discontinued. :(
Try to get old bearing out... well the guts came out of it when I opened the motor up and the bearing is pressed in.... good luck getting that bearing case out...... :roll:
^^^.... and I tried too......

Well this system is only 3 1/2 months old, so I called castle asking if there was any way to get parts to fix it and they basically said "no" and that it's a throw-away motor. The bearing is pressed in and you need a bearing puller to get the old one out and a bearing press to put a new one in. They go on to say it has to be pressed in or it might as well be a bushing in there.... insert eye-roll on my part here.....

I mentioned that it was not old (3 1/2 months actually), and he says send it in and they will warranty it. He went on to say they don't actually fix them as it's not worth it and that they would just send me a new one.

So I'm happy at this point.....

Somewhere in all this I mentioned I was surprised it went out so early.....

Then the guy (I believe his name was Brian) askes me how I set my gearmesh. Well I set it by eye and also feel, getting that little click-clack and seeing movement and a nice (but not too big) gap between the teeth.

Well he proceeds to lecture me on using any method other than the "paper method"........ an that no other way is reliable and I can't "see" mesh and that I will keep blowing bearings and they won't warranty them again if I don't start using the paper method.

At this point I ain't too happy.... I'm not sure if I will even send it in.... just on principle alone.

I've owned a lot of systems, and set a lot of gearmesh, yet castle motors are the only one's I run into issue's like this with...... SMH... as the saying seems to be these days....

So I will NOT be buying ANY systems from castle in the future.

Skinner
First real R/C car: Tamiya Blackfoot

Post by Skinner » Fri Jan 30, 2015 3:46 am

I feel your pain, they just don't wanna deal with it . Honestly I've been in this rc hobby for sooo long that paper or feel method no difference.
5b baja-lx2e-clodbuster-mcx2 & more!!

~Pat~

JHeitt142
First real R/C car: Tamiya 2WD buggy

Post by JHeitt142 » Fri Jan 30, 2015 4:19 am

So the motor failed because of mesh? Ha. Well. I don't even know what to say that. I've set them all by feel for years now and never had a problem. Well aside from some extra gear noise when I was first learning how to do it.

This is pretty disappointing. I'd send the motor back anyway just because. With so many great cheaper options on the market you'd think they would be less inclined to speak to people that way.

In addition. I revived an email from castle asking to fill out their yearly survey. Maybe join the mailing list and see if you get it as well and express yourself in it, it asks a lot about dealings with their customer service.

andymac0035
Site Admin

Post by andymac0035 » Fri Jan 30, 2015 6:15 am

Well... judging by the way he was blindly sticking to what I felt was a script, or book that they go by.... he'd probably get rewarded for doing as told...

Oh and he even made a comment about people that had been in the hobby a long time like 20-30years that still don't set the gear mesh right and ruin motors....

I'm just going to spend my money elsewhere.

Irio - esos
Approved
First real R/C car: 1997ish model RC10T
Black annodized chassis, Gold shocks, the works~

Post by Irio - esos » Tue Feb 03, 2015 1:11 am

Oh and he even made a comment about people that had been in the hobby a long time like 20-30years that still don't set the gear mesh right and ruin motors....
Way to alienate your customer base. #-o

SFC K
Site Admin
First real R/C car: Clod Buster!

Post by SFC K » Tue Feb 03, 2015 2:46 am

Irio - esos wrote:
No kidding! :shock:
Jeff

Skinner
First real R/C car: Tamiya Blackfoot

Post by Skinner » Tue Feb 03, 2015 4:25 am

SFC K wrote:
Irio - esos wrote:
No kidding! :shock:
X2 :shock:
5b baja-lx2e-clodbuster-mcx2 & more!!

~Pat~

andymac0035
Site Admin

Post by andymac0035 » Tue Feb 03, 2015 11:55 pm

So I'm trying a new system in this, just not the one I planned on....
Tower is carrying a new brand called RCGear and they look like hobbywing rebrands. I ordered a combo and it came yesterday. It was supposed to be a 120A esc (think WP SC8) and a 4-pole 4550kv motor. What I got was the 80A version....

I called tower today, and they were all set to send me the right esc and a mailer to send the wrong one back, but that meant making a trip to UPS.... and I hate dealing with UPS, they are not horride like fed-ex.... but still... it's a pain.

So I said if they would credit me the difference, I'd just keep the 80A combo, which I think should be more than enough for a 2WD. So hopefully I'll have things wired (soldered) and installed and running for the weekends races.

andymac0035
Site Admin

Post by andymac0035 » Sun Mar 15, 2015 12:49 am

Update,

The new system has been working great, very happy with it. About the same power level as the castle system, for less money.

I got a pair of SC10 bodies I started using. My buddy runs a wing/spoiler on his truck... decided I'd try making my own.
Works pretty good so far.
DSCN2033.JPG
DSCN2033.JPG (198.69 KiB) Viewed 1575 times
DSCN2034.JPG
DSCN2034.JPG (152.25 KiB) Viewed 1575 times
DSCN2035.JPG
DSCN2035.JPG (135.67 KiB) Viewed 1575 times

SFC K
Site Admin
First real R/C car: Clod Buster!

Post by SFC K » Sun Mar 15, 2015 2:00 pm

That is pretty slick looking Andy!
Jeff

andymac0035
Site Admin

Post by andymac0035 » Mon Mar 16, 2015 1:55 am

Thanks Jeff, it works pretty good, I moved my battery to the rear and I've been pulling wheelies down the straight-a-way.... :twisted: