SFC K's HPI Blitz

Talk about your short course trucks, stadium trucks, buggies, and other off-road vehicles here.
Want to see your truck featured on the home page? Enter our monthly contest in the general discussion section!
Forum rules
Want to see your truck featured on the home page? Enter our monthly contest in the general discussion section!
SFC K
Administrator

Re: SFC K's HPI Blitz

Post by SFC K » Sun Sep 15, 2013 12:35 am

vwjuice wrote:Hahaha. The Blitz is a decent racer, but the one thing it is amazing at is durability. I don't know if Andy could even break it. :lol:
I bet he could. He would just run it over with his 1:1 and say he broke it driving it. He is a sneaky guy... :nana: :mrgreen:
Jeff

vwjuice
Approved Member

Post by vwjuice » Sun Sep 15, 2013 12:38 am

hahaha. That is probably true. :lol:
SFC K is my hero!
All bow down before the great terminator-smilie!

andymac0035
Administrator

Post by andymac0035 » Sun Sep 15, 2013 4:00 am

I don't need to be sneaky..... but I could be.... :nana:

I'd likely try jumping the house though.... :mrgreen:

vwjuice
Approved Member

Post by vwjuice » Sun Sep 15, 2013 5:19 am

Been done and the Blitz survived.
SFC K is my hero!

andymac0035
Administrator

Post by andymac0035 » Sun Sep 15, 2013 12:40 pm

I never said who's house or how big it was... :shock: ...... :explosion:
:nana: :butthead: :nana: :butthead: :nana:

Seriously, I like the look of the blitz, looks like a nice blend of SC10 grace and slash toughness.

vwjuice
Approved Member

Post by vwjuice » Sun Sep 15, 2013 4:18 pm

hahaha.

It is a great truck. It definitely has the handling of an sc10 once you fix the steering, but it's even tougher than a stocl Slash. My only complaint about the Blitz is that the body mounts are spread far apart so most sc bodies don't fit without a lot of excess trimming. Other than that it's a great truck.
SFC K is my hero!

SFC K
Administrator

Post by SFC K » Fri Nov 29, 2013 2:56 am

Well, I finally started to replaced the MIP drive shaft tonight and discovered their was more to the problem. First the transmission case had melted where the output cup exited on both sides and stopped the cups because those were worn pretty bad. Now I need to replace the two transmission case half's, and I have new cups on hand already.

Jeff

SFC K
Administrator

Post by SFC K » Sat Nov 30, 2013 2:49 pm

Well, I finished rebuilding the transmission on the Blitz and oh is it super smooth! New case and a little cleaning go along way. What is really impressive is how easy it is to take apart.

While I was putting in new Outdrives I remembered that you can harden the outputs by using a torch until they are bright orange and dipping them in oil. So I did that as well yesterday too and we will see how well this works.

Jeff

SFC K
Administrator

Post by SFC K » Sun Apr 27, 2014 4:24 pm

Took the Blitz out yesterday. Ran great! Their were a bunch of kids out watching me launch it off the curb into the lawn and the were oohing and awing. :lol: It's running really good with the rebuilt trans. I am going to pull the gear case cover off and check the gears and slipper. Seems to be a little tight still. It will still pull wheelies on command which is really fun! :mrgreen: I thought I broke a front shock mount on one cart wheel landing but it was fine after a quick inspection.

Sorry, no videos, again... :oops:
Jeff

SFC K
Administrator

Post by SFC K » Mon Nov 16, 2015 10:24 pm

Went out to a local BMX track yesterday with a friend of mine and we tore up some trucks. :mrgreen: He manage to break his Traxxas slash not even mid way through the first batter pack. Broke a rear arm mount. Funny thing is he broke a rear arm on our last outing as well. :shock: If you know these trucks they are a weak point on the Slashs.

For my Blitz, it worked like a champ, half way through battery number two doing some speed runs in the grass, lost the pin that is on the end of my brand new HPI Universal bones. I thought those were suppose to never come out? Any way this is the 4th set, three MIPs and one set of HPIs. I think It is time to just run the stock dog bones again and stop wasting money on these universals. :evil:

Anyway, picture time. Most of these were taken while trying to drive. :(

Jeff

shadowfocus603
Approved Member

Post by shadowfocus603 » Tue Nov 17, 2015 2:02 am

My buddy in Vegas had a Blitz and talked me into SCT so I got the Slash. I always liked his truck almost as much as mine. Only thing he really ever broke was the rear bumper brace and the chassis plate (that was was a head on curb shot at 50+). He broke the chassis on his first brushless shakedown run.

SFC K
Administrator

Post by SFC K » Tue Nov 17, 2015 2:41 am

I hear you, I felt bad for my buddy because his always broke and took him out for the day early. At least with mine, a simple bone and wheel hub change and I am back at it in under 5 minutes. His requires a whole transmission swap, which includes the arms. It is right where the arm mount is and snapped right off in the same spot. You would think Traxxas would make a separate arm mount from the transmission case instead of all in one. I talked him into looking into getting a RPM transmission to see if that will help.

I did not mention it before, but their was a skate park right next door to the BMX track. I was launching my Blitz sky high and did not break a single thing, well except for a piece of the body. :mrgreen: I should have taken pictures of that as well. but need two hands to keep it out of trouble. I have said it before, these trucks are a blast and super tough. I'm just going to throw the stock dog bones in and let it rip. :wink:
Jeff

andymac0035
Administrator

Post by andymac0035 » Tue Nov 17, 2015 6:22 am

If you think about it, whatever the hit was that broke the rear arm, damaged the mount on the trans. Your friend must be "gifted", as I have never broken either of those parts.
I used to always break the rear tabs off the chassis tho.... :explosion:

On your universal issue.... are you using threadlocker to hold whatever set screws hold them together?
AND........ are you letting that threadlocker set overnight to fully cure?

I ask as I remember complaints about MIP x-duties (for traxxas) doing the same thing.
However, I also remember finding the people complaining were not letting letting things sit overnight to fully cure.

You remember my speed-run slash 4x4?.... the 99mph missle that ran on 6S?.... yeah.... that one. :mrgreen:
That use MIP's.... and you bet... they were threadlocked and left to cure overnight before install or use.
They never backed apart, and still were holding well when I took them off to part the truck out.
They had lots of miles on them and served duty bashing in the dirt too.

Anywho.... nice pics! :thumbsup: =D>

SFC K
Administrator

Post by SFC K » Wed Nov 18, 2015 12:03 am

Nah, It is the press fit pin that comes already installed. This set was HPI brand and the pin in the end of the bone end just flung out. The MIPs I have had the end twisted right off twice, the part where the pin goes in the end of the universal snapped around the cup end on the other set.

Like I said, I have just had really bad luck with the universals in this truck and all were upgrade parts. The original stock bones are still good as I have had them in when waiting for new universals. I'm just going to stop buying the upgrade parts.

Seeing that you mentioned speed runs, all four times they broke while doing speed runs. :(
Jeff

Skinner
Approved Member

Post by Skinner » Wed Nov 18, 2015 1:08 am

Nice blitz jeff! Ive owned few with great luck, tough truck :) . I will say my rtr version seemed better than ese blitz i had. Ese seemed to soft or brittle on colored parts.
5b baja-lx2e-clodbuster-mcx2 & more!!

~Pat~