My collection so far...

Talk about your short course trucks, stadium trucks, buggies, and even on-road cars here.
Want to see your truck featured on the home page? Enter our monthly contest in the general discussion section!
Forum rules
Want to see your truck featured on the home page? Enter our monthly contest in the general discussion section!
percymon
Approved
First real R/C car: Missed out on RC as a kid, now at the wrong side of forty I'm more than making up !

Re: My collection so far...

Post by percymon » Fri Mar 11, 2016 10:04 pm

SFC K wrote:You will have to take a picture of the chassis so I can see what has been changed on yours. I went with Kyosho red shocks in the rear on mine and they are not to stiff at all. One thing you will notice is the back end is very light. I mounted my battery over the rear end (Up the middle)to get it to articulate better.

I think my CVAs have too much pack in them rather than the springs themselves - they're built to the manual bar AE 25wt oil, just think they've got too much oil in them. Time to let a little out i think

SFC K
Site Admin
First real R/C car: Clod Buster!

Post by SFC K » Sat Mar 12, 2016 12:27 am

That may help. I am still using the stock front shocks on mine. Only thing I changed on the was the lower ball end. I installed a longer one than stock to get a little more lift. They seem pretty decent for up front now. The rears however had to go. I think I have tried 3 different set's before sticking with the Kyosho's. Also moving the upper shock mounts helped a ton too.
Jeff

percymon
Approved
First real R/C car: Missed out on RC as a kid, now at the wrong side of forty I'm more than making up !

Post by percymon » Sun Mar 13, 2016 10:31 pm

Another project nears completion. Today I cut, painted and decalled a new terra scorcher shell. I bought the shell and wing in December 2014, that's how long this one has been sat waiting for some attention. Chassis was previously fully rebuilt with new lightweight wheels and hybrid spike tires. About time it was finished..

SFC K
Site Admin

Post by SFC K » Sun Mar 13, 2016 11:34 pm

8) It looks like s space ship on wheels!
Jeff

percymon
Approved

Post by percymon » Tue Mar 15, 2016 8:04 pm

SFC K wrote:8) It looks like s space ship on wheels!

it does indeed, from that period of Tamiya design ... Thuder Dragon, Fire Dragon, Thundershot series :D

Looks like it has a buyer without me advertising it, so it'll be in the outbox soon !

Wild Willy 2 chassis and a new in packets body are set also going off to a new owner soon.

Thank goodness, as ebay and beer are a evil mix and I appear to have another classic Tamiya inbound #-o #-o

percymon
Approved

Post by percymon » Sun Mar 20, 2016 1:41 pm

Latest money pit has arrived..

Last edited by percymon on Fri Oct 13, 2017 6:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

SFC K
Site Admin

Post by SFC K » Sun Mar 20, 2016 1:47 pm

Wow! That is cool! Look like it is in awesome shape too! Nice score!
Jeff

percymon
Approved

Post by percymon » Sun Mar 20, 2016 2:25 pm

SFC K wrote:Wow! That is cool! Look like it is in awesome shape too! Nice score!
Thanks Jeff, not sure how typical it is condition wise but based on fact it could now be 35yrs old it's bound to have some issues. It's clearly had some attention not that long ago as the fitted wheels have been polished and Brat/Rough Rider tyres fitted. There's a spare set of rims and enough correct tyres to find four reasonable ones amongst them.

Body is already sat in oven cleaner dissolving the old paint off - it's going to need a fair bit of prep to make good for a tidy paint job, but then I suppose that's half the fun!

percymon
Approved

Post by percymon » Thu Mar 31, 2016 9:48 am

Made some progress..

Body stripped of paint, found quite a few areas for rectification (as you might expect !) , he worst being the 7 holes in the cab roof where lights had previously been fitted and then badly filled in on a previous repaint. Axles have been stripped, all parts cleaned in carb cleaner and reassembled with fresh grease.

Chassis has been fully stripped, and now cleaned up ready for rebuild...

Still waiting on some replacement parts, but chassis can largely be rebuilt now. Body will take some time and a lot of my (im)patience #-o
Last edited by percymon on Fri Oct 13, 2017 6:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

percymon
Approved

Post by percymon » Thu Mar 31, 2016 9:53 am

Terra Scorcher and Wild Willy 2 chassis with new owners. That freed up ca $200 for the Hilux fund. Also gave me some change to buy MF-01X parts (to be utilised with my existing stash of new M chassis parts) for a 4wd M chassis rally car :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Its nice being able to alternate between the vintage metal / hardbody Hilux and modern plastic / lexanTamiya builds.

SFC K
Site Admin

Post by SFC K » Thu Mar 31, 2016 11:07 am

So shiny! :shock: 8)
Jeff

percymon
Approved

Post by percymon » Thu Mar 31, 2016 9:00 pm

SFC K wrote:So shiny! :shock: 8)
and all 30 years old, not a replacement part in sight (at least not in that photo !)

percymon
Approved

Post by percymon » Thu Apr 07, 2016 8:50 am

Making progress

3D printed parts have arrived from Shapeways , side rails for the top of the rear bed and the rear facing 'Toyota' logo. A quick mock up..

Chassis coming back together, utilising some alternative leaf springs for both some suspension movement and a very slight lift (the original leaf springs were flat and , lets say, rather firm !).

front end..

rear end..

second set of rims have been cleaned, found some unused Tamiya Rock Crusher tyres in the spares box and with some generic 100mm inner foams fit rather well with a nice side wall profile..

And today's arrivals in the mail - 3d printer driver heads from shapeways - not sure i fancy painting the one at the back, the front one is all 3d printed, no paint :D

Last edited by percymon on Fri Oct 13, 2017 6:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

SFC K
Site Admin

Post by SFC K » Thu Apr 07, 2016 11:01 am

Making some progress on it! your restoration skills are amazing! It looks like you are working with all new parts. I did not even know Shapeways made parts for that body. Can't wait to see the final pictures of it completed. :popcorn:
Jeff

percymon
Approved

Post by percymon » Thu Apr 07, 2016 1:15 pm

SFC K wrote:Making some progress on it! your restoration skills are amazing! It looks like you are working with all new parts. I did not even know Shapeways made parts for that body. Can't wait to see the final pictures of it completed. :popcorn:
More and more items being added for RC every day - its amazing how much stuff is on there; they need to improve the search engine somewhat but that will come with time I'm sure.

I actually needed three parts for the Hilux..

rear bed side rails
rear tail light bar
Toyota logo

the first two were already available, from the same designer (TC member Simensays) - I sent him a message about the rear logo. By chance he wanted something small to test some new CAD software with, and as a Hilux owner himself had an easy reference to take all the measurements. Within an hour of my request it was on Shapeways !

The logo is very impressive - its almost impossible to know it from a genuine Tamiya moulded sprue part. The light bar has bit of texture to it, but nothing than some light sanding with 600 grit wet n dry won;t smooth off, plus it will fill in with Tamiya acrylic paints when i detail the lights. The side rails are the worst item for texture, they are clearly printed cross ways, so an awful lot of passes required to make the length (ca 6") - as a result they are a bit uneven, and needed a thin spread of filler and a light sanding back to improve the finish.

There are a lot of Tamiya parts on Shapeways - AMPro, Simensays, Knight Customs, pintopower just a few designers. Not too much for the Clod, but it won't be long before someone does the anti-rotation brackets, axles case and maybe strengthened C hubs ?