The Dark Impact...

Talk about your short course trucks, stadium trucks, buggies, and other off-road vehicles here.
Want to see your truck featured on the home page? Enter our monthly contest in the general discussion section!
Forum rules
Want to see your truck featured on the home page? Enter our monthly contest in the general discussion section!
jchung
Approved Member

Post by jchung » Tue Apr 11, 2006 8:22 pm

Nice buggy BC!!! I am really liking this buggy, there is a race look to it. How do you think it will do as a basher?

disturbed

Post by disturbed » Tue Apr 11, 2006 11:17 pm

hey bc im really liking this buggy. wat do you think of the gravel hound. also how much did this one run you? looks like a blast. keep up the work.
ups sucks

"IF YOU WON'T STAND BEHIND OUR TROOPS, PLEASE, FEEL FREE TO STAND IN FRONT OF THEM !!!"

jchung
Approved Member

Post by jchung » Thu Apr 13, 2006 3:22 am

I always wanted to try a buggy...and now Tamiya released a good one. This will be a good build for the long weekend. :D

BloodClod
Approved Member

Post by BloodClod » Thu Apr 13, 2006 7:04 pm

Buggy should do fine as a basher and probably not do too badly at club races too. Performance is definitely better than the Gravel Hound but the parts damage after my first bash was a little concerning... after cleaning I discovered:

- 1 bent dogbone
- 2 bent rear hingepins
- front cracked shock tower
- front and rear chipped diff outdrives

The track wasn't in great shape for running but I haven't had any breakage on my ZX since it's been built. Hopefully it was just one of those days... I'll be bashing the Dark Impact again and perhaps I won't see any breakage this time around.

This car ran me about USD105 shipped direct from Japan. :)

jchung - you'll like this one... open her up and marvel at how SMALL that chassis is! lol!

Moose - thanks for your concern man.
... was once the totalitarian admin here trying to be god...

BloodClod
email: bloodclod@hotmail.com

mp3ranger
Approved Member

Post by mp3ranger » Thu Apr 13, 2006 10:37 pm

Took it for a test drive. It handles real will. Pulls out turn's real well.

I installed a 27t motor, novak 410-m5 ,novak xxl , xpower s9350 150oz servo 3300 gp cells. Hope I will win a brushless system on ebay today.

jchung
Approved Member

Post by jchung » Fri Apr 14, 2006 10:48 pm

I just finished building this kit. It was great! Haven't built a kit in a while. Other than taking the transmission apart several times because of wrong bearing size, everything went smooth. Still have to finish the body up. :D

mp3ranger
Approved Member

Post by mp3ranger » Fri Apr 14, 2006 10:51 pm

bearing size got me to .

jchung
Approved Member

Post by jchung » Sat Apr 15, 2006 2:53 am

I ran it on a pack today. It was very fun! I am surprised at the steering response with this kind of linkage setup. There is some play, but I am not pro enough to notice it when I am driving it :lol:

Overall, I love this buggy! I have been looking for a fun basher and this fits the bill!

BloodClod
Approved Member

Post by BloodClod » Tue Apr 18, 2006 9:21 am

this buggy has been bashed hard so far... primarily cos the weather hasn't been that kind and hence the terrain not really buggy-friendly.

Some feedback after more runs...

- rear hingepins really need a little work. Bent hingepins bah! :)
- for your front hingepins I'd recommend either making some sort of brace or using spacers to take out the additional play in the pins. The hingepins are too long and when they get pushed back they actually can interfere with the steering assembly.
- car is easy to wrench on and clean... that's nice. But it's design actually means it gets dirtier than my other 4WDs. That gearbox assembly picks up a lot of dirt. :)
- gearbox cover doesn't really give a good seal. I drilled out another hole and used one more screw to give better dirt protection.
... was once the totalitarian admin here trying to be god...

BloodClod
email: bloodclod@hotmail.com

Simen123
Approved Member

Post by Simen123 » Tue Apr 18, 2006 10:45 pm

Very nice review!
I`m tempted to order one..