HPI Jumpshot

Although not considered a traditional monster truck, they still have monster coolness.
Want to see your truck featured on the home page? Enter our monthly contest in the general discussion section!
Forum rules
Want to see your truck featured on the home page? Enter our monthly contest in the general discussion section!
BloodClod
Approved Member

HPI Jumpshot

Post by BloodClod » Wed Nov 23, 2016 3:26 pm

Anyone else have one of these trucks?

They are quite popular at our local track and handle very well. Biggest problem is the gearbox which can be a little weak but otherwise the truck is a very fun basher.

Here's a picture of mine with a basher shell and traxxas MT tires. :)
Attachments
hpi_jumpshot_01.jpg
hpi_jumpshot_01.jpg (132.37 KiB) Viewed 1426 times
... was once the totalitarian admin here trying to be god...

BloodClod
email: bloodclod@hotmail.com

andymac0035
Administrator

Re: HPI Jumpshot

Post by andymac0035 » Thu Nov 24, 2016 4:39 am

Almost thought it was a stampede till I saw the TVP chassis. Is that 4WD or 2WD?
EDIT* Just looked it up and saw it was 2WD.

BloodClod
Approved Member

Post by BloodClod » Thu Nov 24, 2016 5:45 am

It's a 2WD truck and I guess it's a more modernized take on the stampede-class truck. The truck is nicely designed and it's strength is really in it's handling - it doesn't feel as top-heavy or as "floaty" as a typical stampede and just handles nicely.

Unfortunately it's current achilles heel is a idler gear made of plastic that is just a tad too soft such that if the slipper is locked down too hard that can fail after hard running and over time. Not a deal breaker, but I'm hoping HPI releases some upgraded gears in the future to take this truck to the next level. :)

Will try to take some vids of it running.

BloodClod

andymac0035
Administrator

Post by andymac0035 » Thu Nov 24, 2016 6:09 am

by chance would there be a metal upgrade?
Perhaps HPI blitz parts fit?

BloodClod
Approved Member

Post by BloodClod » Thu Nov 24, 2016 6:43 am

andymac0035 wrote:by chance would there be a metal upgrade?
Perhaps HPI blitz parts fit?
unfortunately the parts for this truck are unique to itself. Some aftermarket guys have made aluminum gearboxes and arms and towers but no gears yet. I'm hopeful HPI will get that out sometime in the future. In the meanwhile, the truck does get decent mileage before that idler gives and it's cheap so it's not a big deal. It's waterproof too so it's our go-to basher when the bad weather hits.

BloodClod

SFC K
Administrator

Post by SFC K » Fri Nov 25, 2016 3:29 pm

That is a cool looking truck! I have always been a fan of the HPI trucks and they have been known for their handling characteristics. I'm surprised that their isn't a upgraded gear set for it.

I was checking on HPIs site and that looks more like a Stadium truck in stock form. The MT look really changes the look of it.
Jeff

BloodClod
Approved Member

Post by BloodClod » Tue Nov 29, 2016 6:31 am

HPI is really taking a page out of Tamiya's book for this chassis. They've come up with 3 versions of this - a MT, a stadium truck and a shortcourse truck and if I'm not wrong the only change to all 3 are the chassis plates, bodies and wheels/tires.

When it comes to overall handling and landing jumps, it's hard to beat a truck with independent double wishbone suspension. Will try to get a video of this truck bashing at our local offroad track. Suspension is very plush.

BloodClod