Stock Kyosho USA-1

Although not considered a traditional monster truck, they still have monster coolness.
Want to see your truck featured on the home page? Enter our monthly contest in the general discussion section!
Forum rules
Want to see your truck featured on the home page? Enter our monthly contest in the general discussion section!
darat76
Approved Member

Re: Stock Kyosho USA-1

Post by darat76 » Sun Jan 24, 2016 8:58 pm

I have to add, I don't know the EVX-2 esc, I do know that BEC voltage is set in the esc, not the radio gear.

I'll have to now go look up the EVX-2 and see what's what with it.

Edit: So it's only possible to adjust the running mode on that esc.

jmw_man
Approved Member

Post by jmw_man » Mon Jan 25, 2016 10:59 pm

Okay, I finished a test run with the EVX-2 on 4S Lipo. I didn't go full speed. I was afraid to. Man, this thing is a lot noisier than I remember. It sounds very winy, not sure if I'll ever get a video of it on here. Anyways, I just ordered what I need to make a jumper to run on 2S. Also, the steering is still sloppy, the crazy part is I can wrap my hands around the turning radius, lol. The steering is super sharp, but the truck doesn't straighten out because there's too much play in the steering linkages. The servo is plenty powerful, I just need to come up with a different design on the steering linkages. I don't know if I'll go the Sassy chassis route, I don't think I need to. After some videos I saw of people making upgrades, I don't think the gearbox is structurally sound enough to beef up everything else and hope it holds together. I'll post again after I've tested out 2S and 3S.

rocpede
Approved Member

Post by rocpede » Sun Jun 05, 2016 11:11 pm

Is there any updates on how the truck is holding up..
if you can't dodge it then ram it

jmw_man
Approved Member

Post by jmw_man » Fri Jan 27, 2017 2:49 am

There is now. When I took the photos above, the truck ran fine, but I didn't run it after the initial run, I simply shelved the truck for a period of time until I could make improvements to the steering. The four wheel steering design was terrible and always had too much play. A few months ago I purchased a 3D Systems Cube 3D printer and printed two little plastic pieces that I drew up in Autodesk Inventor to replace the 6 plastic pieces that flexed too much. Today (and yesterday) I finally found time to assemble my 2 3D printed parts onto the truck and oh what an improvement. The steering is VERY responsive. However, on the flipside, the tires still don't quite turn to the magnitude I would like when the truck is not moving so I intend to add a second servo for the rear tires, I'm excited to see what happens.

Other than that, I played with it a whole bunch today. I'm only running one 2S Lipo battery (I'm using a little loop plug for the other connector to my ESC). A single 2S Lipo battery is plenty fast for such an old and fragile truck, all drive components are plastic and I don't want to have to replace parts that don't exist anymore.

Oh, besides adding a second servo, I want to replace the body. I wish I could find a white hard plastic body but I have no idea where to look. I suppose I don't care whether it's a Ford, Chevy, or Dodge, but part of me feels like I need to keep it a Chevy even though I hate Chevys.

Sixtys Guy
Approved Member

Post by Sixtys Guy » Fri Jan 27, 2017 5:34 am

Good to see you get it up and running! I had one a couple of years back and thought I would make it into a runner, but in the end I sold it on as I was worried that it would break. I did play around with the steering a littkle and got it to work better, but I can't remember exactly what I did.

I still think they are a cool truck and they do come up on Ebay every now and then. One guy here is Aus had his on Ebay for $1900, then dropped it to $900, but the ones I have seen usually go for around $150-$250.

jmw_man
Approved Member

Post by jmw_man » Fri Jan 27, 2017 3:07 pm

jmw_man
Approved Member

Post by jmw_man » Fri Jan 27, 2017 3:25 pm

I had to do a little sanding, I used a 7/64" drill into 2 corners of each piece, and I used an extra long 3 mm machine screw plus Traxxas thru hole swivel ball joints (not sure what else to call them). The plastic is called PLA, not sure what that means, but there is zero flex. You know, I kind of wonder why they didn't make it this way to begin with. It seems much simpler to do it this way, but then I was thinking about it last night and I'm starting to wonder if they made it the way they did to create some kind of weak area to break away during crashes.

I think it's a cool truck, but I kind of wish I had gotten a solid axle truck. I think I was 15 (92?) and probably didn't know better. Maybe the salesman convinced me. Maybe I was swayed by the 4 wheel steering. Maybe it was my budget (no clue how much other options would have cost me). It's an unrealistic monster truck having an independent suspension. I think the real USA1 had a solid axle didn't it? The part I like about it though is that it looks more like a monster truck than my 3908 E-MAXX Brushless Edition. In fact, I don't even know what to call the E-MAXX anymore. It's clearly not a monster truck, it's just a fast machine and not modeled after anything. With this USA1, I can literally drive it around in my kitchen as tight as the steering is, you can't do that with most big trucks.

Speaking of breaking things, back in the day I broke parts to my USA1, but when I dug it out of my attic a couple years ago and using my background in mechanical engineering, I can make one observation; most breaks that occurred were due to use during improper assembly. In other words, there were times I used screws that were too short, and other times where I drive it without the top cover to the chassis simply because it was always too hard to install it with all the wires getting in the way.

Another improvement I wouldn't mind making would be to use a different ESC. The one that's on there now is kind of big and bulky and I kind of want to find something that's affordable, single plug, and very low profile so I can get it back inside of the chassis. Can anybody make a recommendation?

Sixtys Guy
Approved Member

Post by Sixtys Guy » Sun Jan 29, 2017 5:02 am

Not sure if you have seen or are interested, but there is a guy over on RCMT.net that has put HSP arms and cheap ebay drivehafts that widen his USA1 by 60mm.

matt1ptkn

Post by matt1ptkn » Mon Jan 30, 2017 3:12 pm

I have a similar situation with ESCs right now for my Clodbuster. For a couple options, here is the thread I started: viewtopic.php?f=52&t=30861. I have heard good things about using the Traxxas XL-5 in that it uses a single battery and can handle twin motors, however, you will have to make up a harness to connect them. The newer style XL-5 is also low profile and waterproof. 8)
-Matt

My Trucks

"I wish there was a way to tell you're in the good old days, before you've actually left them."

jmw_man
Approved Member

Post by jmw_man » Mon Jan 30, 2017 4:20 pm

Sixtys Guy wrote:
Sun Jan 29, 2017 5:02 am
Not sure if you have seen or are interested, but there is a guy over on RCMT.net that has put HSP arms and cheap ebay drivehafts that widen his USA1 by 60mm.
Honestly, probably not. Widening it would increase impact load. I'd rather not test the limits of the gear box mounting points. It will never be able to compete with my e-maxx. I think it performs well as a limited real estate basher. Indoor bashing or small areas in the back yard are really fun.

jmw_man
Approved Member

Post by jmw_man » Wed Feb 01, 2017 8:28 pm

I need help. I've decided that I need 2 servos for the 4 wheel steering, which means I need to buy a low profile servo and a reversing Y harness.

My main servo is a Futuba S3305, it's analog. Can I pair a digital with the analog servo on the reversing Y harness? I'm looking at getting the Futuba FUTM0661 because I need something with a Futuba connector and it's the only low profile servo.

Thanks

jmw_man
Approved Member

Post by jmw_man » Thu Feb 09, 2017 5:13 pm

Well, I received the reversing Y harness and the new Futaba FUTM0661 low profile digital servo. I can confirm that you can mix a digital and analog servo on the same Y harness. It doesn't matter. However, since the specs of these two servos are slightly different, my steering looks kind of weird.

My analog seems to have more torque even though the specs show only a slight difference. I'm not sure whether it's going by 6v or 4.8v but the 6v of the analog is 124 ozin and the digital is 122 ozin, but the analog seems more powerful.

My digital is listed as having close to twice the speed of the analog servo, but I can't see the difference.

Now for the weird part. The digital servo has a greater range while the analog has a shorter range. So basically it seems like my rear end swings out more during the turns. The other thing that sucks is that I can't straighten the steering with just the control anymore, I basically have to manually adjust either the front or rear turnbuckles to match their counterparts on the front.

Lastly, a Hobbytown USA guy was telling me I should just use one servo but get a more powerful one. I tried explaining to the guy but he wasn't understanding, the problem isn't with the servos, it's with all of the linkages between the one servo and the 4 tires, I noticed, in particular, the rod that runs along the chassis will actually twist several degrees, so the one servo was turning the front tires really good while the rear tires wouldn't budge because the rod was too flexible and would just twist a quarter turn.

jmw_man
Approved Member

Post by jmw_man » Tue Feb 14, 2017 2:48 am

My wheels spin inside my tires, I've never been super successful at gluing my tires. What other options do I have for not gluing my tires to the wheels? Are there some wheels out there that will clamp onto these USA 1 tires?

andymac0035
Administrator

Post by andymac0035 » Tue Feb 14, 2017 4:37 am

Put some rubber bands in the wheel beads.

jmw_man
Approved Member

Post by jmw_man » Thu Feb 23, 2017 9:56 pm

I just tried gluing one. Going to see how it holds up. I'm going to try the rubber band idea too, just need to get to the store to buy some. What does it do? Just create more friction with the rubber against rubber?

Speaking of tires, I realized that my USA 1 tires don't have any foam in them. Did the USA-1 tires never come with foam? Do yall recommend I put foam in them? Now that I glued one tire, lol.