Stock Kyosho USA-1

Although not considered a traditional monster truck, they still have monster coolness.
Want to see your truck featured on the home page? Enter our monthly contest in the general discussion section!
Forum rules
Want to see your truck featured on the home page? Enter our monthly contest in the general discussion section!
andymac0035
Administrator

Re: Stock Kyosho USA-1

Post by andymac0035 » Thu Jan 14, 2016 2:07 am

No, he means 4S (2Sx2), like what the brushed e-maxx uses.

If that truck is a lot lighter, and you live someplace where it snows, that would be the one place it could outshine the E-maxx BLE.

As another that also does not do shelf queens, if you think you can sell it for good money, then I would do that.
If not... I say run it till something hard to replace blows, and then be done with it.
Save the tires though, as those are highly prized for putting on clodbusters.

jmw_man
Approved Member

Post by jmw_man » Thu Jan 14, 2016 11:42 pm

Considering the truck was originally intended to run a single NiCad battery, I'm afraid to run it with anything more than 2S. I say that because on my e-maxx, 2-7 cell NiMh is less powerful than 4S. Basically, I'm pointing out that 2S will will be more powerful than the original intended NiCad battery. I'm worried about stripping gears or causing other damage in the truck on parts that might be hard to replace.

In fact, I'm hesitant about doing a bunch of aluminum upgrades because just from experience with the E-maxx, it makes the replacement parts rigid and the old parts receive more stress. So, I'm kind of worried about breaking something on the gearbox, or another part that isn't getting an upgrade.

jmw_man
Approved Member

Post by jmw_man » Thu Jan 14, 2016 11:47 pm

mrgrimm wrote:Personally I like to update the electronic gear.

If the Titian motors can fit http://www.ebay.com/itm/Traxxas-3903-16 ... SwxH1UERFA they are a great route to go with an old truck like that.

Team them up with the latest EVX-2 http://www.ebay.com/itm/Summit-EVX-2-16 ... Swm8VUy3ZS and you have a 4s lipo capable monster truck. Keep an eye on the temps on 4s though. Heck you might even find 3s is good enough and it would surely be very reliable.

A cheap 2.4 like this http://www.ebay.com/itm/HPI-1-10-Crawle ... SwiwVWRDCz is usually worth it as well.

Servo might actually be up to par, check the model and see what the specs are but again there are cheap waterproof options out there that will suffice.
If I got a new chassis, I would have to buy another servo.

I'm interested in the EVX-2, those connectors are different from mine, I have older Traxxas connectors on my batteries, will that EVX-2 still work with my connectors?

mrgrimm
Approved Member

Post by mrgrimm » Fri Jan 15, 2016 12:38 am

Well, you can make a jumper (I have done it but did a lot of googling while doing it because it matters which plug you use) that will allow you to run a single 2s lipo on the EVX-2...that way you have a rock solid, waterproof, twin motor esc that has the options of stepping up to high voltage if you desire. You have to do that to run a single 3s anyways and once you have it made it's done and handy for future RC's.

Not really sure about the TRX connectors, I use Deans.

At this point, I have to limit my advice because I have never owned nor researched the drivetrain durability of the old USA-1's.

3s with stock gearing, and around 21 turn motors is a sweet spot for a mostly stock Clod in my opinion - decent speed and power and not too much to destroy the gearboxes. It's going to have to be trial and error for you, if you are satisfied on 2s and it holds up then :thumbsup:

If you need more and pop a 3s in there and it shreds the guts then maybe it's a :thumbsdown: ???
Monster trucks rule :)

jmw_man
Approved Member

Post by jmw_man » Fri Jan 15, 2016 2:07 am

mrgrimm wrote: A cheap 2.4 like this http://www.ebay.com/itm/HPI-1-10-Crawle ... SwiwVWRDCz is usually worth it as well.

Quick question about the transmitter and receiver. The truck has two motors and 4 wheel steering. If I wanted to run the motors independently and if I wanted two separate servos for the steering, does that mean I need a 4 channel (motor + motor + servo + servo) transmitter and receiver?

jmw_man
Approved Member

Post by jmw_man » Sat Jan 16, 2016 10:19 pm

Questions regarding the gearboxes, do I run them dry like some people do? or do I put grease as the manual specifies? Also, how much is enough, so hard to tell sometimes.

rocpede
Approved Member

Post by rocpede » Fri Jan 22, 2016 2:28 am

I say run it with a little bit of grease. I never ran any of my gearboxes dry before..
if you can't dodge it then ram it

jmw_man
Approved Member

Post by jmw_man » Fri Jan 22, 2016 7:15 pm

I don't remember what it was like building the Kyosho USA-1 shocks back when I was a kid, but these stock shock struts have zero resistance. According to the instructions, you just put a little grease on the shaft, but other than that, they are air shocks, but air escapes in and out too freely, lol.

jmw_man
Approved Member

Post by jmw_man » Sat Jan 23, 2016 7:16 pm

Well, I almost started a fire. It was fine yesterday when I hooked up a 2S battery to test the servos out, then last night the servos wouldn't turn. Then this morning I grabbed another battery but this time a 3S, the servo turned so I'm not sure what was going on last night, the 2S battery was fully charged. Then after I tested it out with the 3S battery, I did it again, but this time something melted big time. The servo got quite hot. The servo that smoked is a hitec HS-605BB. Back in the day I bought it supposedly because it was supposed to be a higher torque servo or something. I was trying to solve the sloppy steering back when I was a kid. Anyways, what's it mean when a servo is not a non-smoking servo, ha.

jmw_man
Approved Member

Post by jmw_man » Sat Jan 23, 2016 8:39 pm

Quick question, I went ahead and bought the HPI RF-11 and TF-11 that was linked on the previous page. The green light always comes on, but the servos don't always work. The first time I tested it both of my servos worked, so then I installed them into my USA-1 last night and they didn't work. Then this morning the Hitec worked on the steering, then a few minutes after that it smoked. so now I'm down to the NES-510 servo, and I can't get it to work for the life of me.

My question is, do only certain types of servos work? Example, are these analog and I'm supposed to use digital? or does it even matter? I'm also still trying to understand why last night they both worked before I put them in the truck. I wonder if there's a loose connection in the wiring or something and if flexed just right it will work... I guess Ima have to buy a new servo. Any suggestions for a good steering servo on a truck with sloppy 4 wheel steering?

jmw_man
Approved Member

Post by jmw_man » Sun Jan 24, 2016 1:40 am

mrgrimm wrote:Personally I like to update the electronic gear.

If the Titian motors can fit http://www.ebay.com/itm/Traxxas-3903-16 ... SwxH1UERFA they are a great route to go with an old truck like that.

Team them up with the latest EVX-2 http://www.ebay.com/itm/Summit-EVX-2-16 ... Swm8VUy3ZS and you have a 4s lipo capable monster truck. Keep an eye on the temps on 4s though. Heck you might even find 3s is good enough and it would surely be very reliable.

A cheap 2.4 like this http://www.ebay.com/itm/HPI-1-10-Crawle ... SwiwVWRDCz is usually worth it as well.

Servo might actually be up to par, check the model and see what the specs are but again there are cheap waterproof options out there that will suffice.
So I ordered two of the items above, the HPI TF 11 and RF 11 and the EVX-2. I was under the impression that I would have the option of running the EVX-2 with one battery, but it looks like two batteries are required so 4S will be the minimum. I'm kind of disappointed because I really don't want to have to deal with a second battery on this thing. I'm actually thinking of taking my 3906 early e-maxx and updating that with this transmitter/receiver and EVX-2 and go with something else on this USA-1. I wish I could at the very least test it out first though. I wish I had a spare servo that works so I could at least steer while trying out the truck on 4S.

Anyways, if I wanted to run one battery on this truck, what are my ESC (w/ low voltage detection) options?

SFC K
Administrator

Post by SFC K » Sun Jan 24, 2016 1:48 am

This is what you need to do to run one battery with the EVX. Pictures of your set-up will help us figure out why you are burning up Servo's and having issues.

viewtopic.php?f=46&t=23379&start=75
Jeff

jmw_man
Approved Member

Post by jmw_man » Sun Jan 24, 2016 4:09 am

SFC K wrote:This is what you need to do to run one battery with the EVX. Pictures of your set-up will help us figure out why you are burning up Servo's and having issues.

So you don't think it has anything to do with the servos being analog? Can analog servos be used with digital receivers?

Thanks for the tip on the battery setup. I'll definitely try that out to test out 2S vs 3S vs 4S and compare. There is one thing I wonder though. Since the EVX-2 is setup for 2 batteries, is it a lot bigger than other ESC's out there? When my EVX-2 came in the mail today, my first observation was how heavy and large it is. If there's one thing about the USA-1 that I always hated, it was how crowded the chassis was. If I find that 2S or 3S is sufficient, then I want to have a single battery ESC option, you know, just in case they actually are smaller than dual battery ESC's.

Also, the other thing I noticed is that the EVX-2 has two sets of wires, one for each motor. Well, on the old USA-1, the motor wires were wired together into a single wire and then connected to the original ESC. So, honestly, I don't think I see the benefit of a ESC with two sets of motor wires. opinions?

darat76
Approved Member

Post by darat76 » Sun Jan 24, 2016 7:56 am

jmw_man wrote:
SFC K wrote:This is what you need to do to run one battery with the EVX. Pictures of your set-up will help us figure out why you are burning up Servo's and having issues.

So you don't think it has anything to do with the servos being analog? Can analog servos be used with digital receivers?

Thanks for the tip on the battery setup. I'll definitely try that out to test out 2S vs 3S vs 4S and compare. There is one thing I wonder though. Since the EVX-2 is setup for 2 batteries, is it a lot bigger than other ESC's out there? When my EVX-2 came in the mail today, my first observation was how heavy and large it is. If there's one thing about the USA-1 that I always hated, it was how crowded the chassis was. If I find that 2S or 3S is sufficient, then I want to have a single battery ESC option, you know, just in case they actually are smaller than dual battery ESC's.

Also, the other thing I noticed is that the EVX-2 has two sets of wires, one for each motor. Well, on the old USA-1, the motor wires were wired together into a single wire and then connected to the original ESC. So, honestly, I don't think I see the benefit of a ESC with two sets of motor wires. opinions?

2 sets of motor wires allows control of each motor independantly of each other, something that is really helpful when rock crawling, in the 1:1 rock crawlers they have handles on the passenger side of the car for the passenger to control the brakes on each wheel, 1, 2, 3, or all 4 at a time, which is what the esc setup is attempting to emulate.

I have no idea on the size of the EVX-2 but in general, esc's are roughly the same size, there are variances between them, but they are all designed to fit in the same place as others on the chassis, so in general, if it operates 1 or 2 motors it doesn't change the size by that much. The EVX-2 isn't a dual battery esc, it's wired to use 2 batteries the equal the total voltage of a 4s lipo, or 14.8 volts, if that's supplied via 2 2s lipos, or 1 4s lipo makes no difference to the esc.

Analog servos will work with anything, digital servos will also, only thing you might find, is a digital servo may "jitter" on an analog rx. I'll have to make a video of what I call digital "jitter"

As for your servo's not working for you, double check you have the plugs in the right way around, and that your BEC voltage is set correctly for the servos. A servo meant to take a max of 4.8 volt will over heat if it's getting 6 volt plus, and a servo meant to take a minimum of 7.4 volt won't respond if the BEC is at 6 volt or lower.

jmw_man
Approved Member

Post by jmw_man » Sun Jan 24, 2016 8:26 pm

darat76 wrote:
jmw_man wrote:

2 sets of motor wires allows control of each motor independantly of each other, something that is really helpful when rock crawling, in the 1:1 rock crawlers they have handles on the passenger side of the car for the passenger to control the brakes on each wheel, 1, 2, 3, or all 4 at a time, which is what the esc setup is attempting to emulate.

I have no idea on the size of the EVX-2 but in general, esc's are roughly the same size, there are variances between them, but they are all designed to fit in the same place as others on the chassis, so in general, if it operates 1 or 2 motors it doesn't change the size by that much. The EVX-2 isn't a dual battery esc, it's wired to use 2 batteries the equal the total voltage of a 4s lipo, or 14.8 volts, if that's supplied via 2 2s lipos, or 1 4s lipo makes no difference to the esc.

Analog servos will work with anything, digital servos will also, only thing you might find, is a digital servo may "jitter" on an analog rx. I'll have to make a video of what I call digital "jitter"

As for your servo's not working for you, double check you have the plugs in the right way around, and that your BEC voltage is set correctly for the servos. A servo meant to take a max of 4.8 volt will over heat if it's getting 6 volt plus, and a servo meant to take a minimum of 7.4 volt won't respond if the BEC is at 6 volt or lower.
Actually, the motors can't be controlled independently of each other on this ESC just because it has two sets of motor wires, they are on the same channel, there's no way to differentiate between each motor from the standpoint of the transmitter. So in essence, shame on (the designer) for wasting space, the two sets of wires form a union within the ESC anyhow, seems silly of them.

Also, SFC K posted a link above where he's using 2S with his EVX-2. This basically means the EVX-2 is a dual battery ESC that you have to "rig up" to run a single small battery.

I'll have to look into the BEC voltage, I don't think I have any kind of flexibility with the transmitter and receiver on that end, there's just the throttle, the steering wheel, the trim for each, the dual rate steering control, reversing buttons for each, and an on and off button. Edit: I have two 20 year old servos: a Hitec HS-605BB and a JR NES-510. The Hitec is both 4.8V and 6V, that's the one that smoked. The JR NES-510 was working, and now it won't. Either way, I might as well just get a new 6V servo.

Edit: It appears the BEC voltage isn't something you set, the BEC voltage appears to be the constant output of the ESC. In the case of the EVX-2, the BEC voltage is 6 volts. So it would seem that I need some 6 volt servos. Thanks for the help!