Stock Kyosho USA-1

Although not considered a traditional monster truck, they still have monster coolness.
Want to see your truck featured on the home page? Enter our monthly contest in the general discussion section!
Forum rules
Want to see your truck featured on the home page? Enter our monthly contest in the general discussion section!
jmw_man
Approved Member

Stock Kyosho USA-1

Post by jmw_man » Mon Jan 11, 2016 5:04 pm

My brother and I bought a Kyosho USA-1 around 93 I think. I don't think it has been driven since maybe 96. For the last 20 years it has been sitting in various places from my old bedroom closet, to my parent's attic to my brother's attic to my attic and now my garage when I recently fished all of my RC's out earlier this year.

It's pretty crude. I'll post some pictures later.

I came to this forum because I want to find out what I want to do with my USA-1; sell it, or make a really awesome and functional RC truck. I say that because I'm not a collector and I will never waste any space on a shelf for an RC to sit when I can use that space to place other functional items. I've browsed several threads and searched for videos of other USA-1's out there and it's starting to look more and more likely that I will be selling it because it doesn't seem like anybody else with a USA-1 has really created a monster out of their truck and it doesn't seem like my USA-1 could ever compete with my E-MAXX 3908 BLE on any terrain. To some it may be a cool collector, but I can't imagine how the performance of this thing could ever match that of today's trucks even if the USA-1 had a bunch of modifications. I know there are those of you out there that swear by MOA trucks but so far from what I can see the only trucks that benefit from MOA are rock crawlers.

Thoughts?

jmw_man
Approved Member

Re: Stock Kyosho USA-1

Post by jmw_man » Mon Jan 11, 2016 9:03 pm

When I was a kid, for whatever reason, I chose black, I have regrets now, lol. FYI, you'll notice one of the mirrors is missing, it's not, it's in my little RC toolkit.

jmw_man
Approved Member

Post by jmw_man » Mon Jan 11, 2016 9:06 pm

Not sure why, back then I felt like it needed shocks more than anything else, lol. I still have the other 4 original shocks too.

Hey, cool antennae!!

jmw_man
Approved Member

Post by jmw_man » Mon Jan 11, 2016 9:10 pm

Sorry about your neck!

Man, they really made those driveshafts tiny back in the day!!

FYI, you'll notice that one of the air cleaners on the motor is missing, it's not, that's in my toolkit as well (next to the mirror).

jmw_man
Approved Member

Post by jmw_man » Mon Jan 11, 2016 9:28 pm

So, the question is, do I fix it up or sell it? To answer that, I need to know, is there any particular area where the final result could give my E-MAXX 3908 BLE the run for its money? One thought that came to mind would be the mudding category for example, lol. This thing is obviously not a rock climber, or a racer...

I did some very limited research up till now on what I would do to fix this thing up, though, not sure what the turnout would be, because I know there are other people out there that have fixed up their USA-1's, but those people aren't posting spectacular videos. Anyhow, I would need a chassis, RC Riskey Concept sells a double dare Chassis that they say would work on this truck. I would want replacement drive shafts, lower arms, turnbuckles, individual servos and all other electronics to be replaced, not sure what the final bill will be. Also, when I was a kid and I bought those 4 shocks, I must have felt like the original shocks were too bouncy, I would fix that so the truck had proper shock absorption.

Besides this truck, I also have the early E-MAXX with dual speed that I bought in 2005, I haven't driven that since 2008 (besides last week). I'm looking to figure out what I want to do with that too. My options are to either sell it, or turn it into something extremely functional where the 3908 couldn't compete. I'll have to post about that in a separate thread but so far I'm leaning the sell route since I don't think the 3906 E-MAXX would make a good crawler, although, I've thought about something in between a rock crawler and a racer is a possibility if I put heavy oil in the differentials to mimic a limited slip differential and if I gear the low speed to an even lower gear. I just don't know if I were to have more fun if I just went out and got an actual rock crawler as opposed to modifying this old E-MAXX.

rocpede
Approved Member

Post by rocpede » Tue Jan 12, 2016 10:30 am

Nice Kyosho.. You can get some upgrades on eBay. Like the suspension arms, chassis and some other stuff too. You can try to make it go toe to toe with a stock e-maxx. It's hard to say how long the stock driveshafts will last in the Kyosho before they break. I know there is a guy on YouTube that will be making upgrade driveshafts some time this year.. I have a full blown Sassy Chassis USA-1 and I like it a lot ..
if you can't dodge it then ram it

wahrsuul

Post by wahrsuul » Tue Jan 12, 2016 12:01 pm

First time I've seen the insides of a USA-1, looks a lot like the Double Dare. I was disappointed by the DD as a monster truck, but I don't know much about any upgrades for it. It got run a few times then put on a shelf.

132NHAF
Administrator

Post by 132NHAF » Tue Jan 12, 2016 2:35 pm

The one thing that will help the decision is to stop comparing it to the E-Maxx. There are several Traxxas bashers on here (all humor intended) but they will agree that it takes a lot of building (read: almost no stock parts) to get one of these trucks to compete with modern trucks. Yes, you can do some suspension mods, beef everything up, and have a fun truck, but if you're looking for something to hand with the BLE, I'd sell it and but a BLE.

JMHO
Scott T

Stickers...Get your ClodTalk stickers here: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=25953

It's not WHAT toys you play with, but that you play with toys at all that is important.

jmw_man
Approved Member

Post by jmw_man » Tue Jan 12, 2016 4:22 pm

rocpede wrote:Nice Kyosho.. You can get some upgrades on eBay. Like the suspension arms, chassis and some other stuff too. You can try to make it go toe to toe with a stock e-maxx. It's hard to say how long the stock driveshafts will last in the Kyosho before they break. I know there is a guy on YouTube that will be making upgrade driveshafts some time this year.. I have a full blown Sassy Chassis USA-1 and I like it a lot ..
Thanks!
On the drive shafts, I read in another USA-1 thread where the ownder installed Thorp driveshafts and was happy with the results, I guess I need to know exactly what will fit with limited modification. I don't want to have to do a lot of cutting or remodeling to make stuff work, I'm looking for bolt on solutions. I saw another driveshaft somewhere, it was metal and it was in the unboxing of a USA-1. They looked a lot like these: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Kyosho-USA-1-Ax ... 1380317591
I wonder why some came with metal and others came with plastic...

This is your chassis right?: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-Sassy-C ... Sw9r1V7zlM
That one is super expensive, I can't imagine it being worth it to buy that chassis.
The other chassis I'm looking at is this one: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Kyosho-USA-1-Do ... SwPhdVD1hh
It's $61, a much better price, but will it fit? It says Kyosho USA-1 but it says double dare and I honestly don't know what a double dare monster truck is and the differences between the USA-1 and the double dare. Can someone confirm if this will fit my USA-1? Also, what about structural integrity of the double dare chassis? The sassy chassis appears to be a much better construction and the double dare chassis seems like it would twist and bend really easily without triangular braces.
Last edited by jmw_man on Tue Jan 12, 2016 4:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

jmw_man
Approved Member

Post by jmw_man » Tue Jan 12, 2016 4:26 pm

132NHAF wrote:The one thing that will help the decision is to stop comparing it to the E-Maxx. There are several Traxxas bashers on here (all humor intended) but they will agree that it takes a lot of building (read: almost no stock parts) to get one of these trucks to compete with modern trucks. Yes, you can do some suspension mods, beef everything up, and have a fun truck, but if you're looking for something to hand with the BLE, I'd sell it and but a BLE.

JMHO
From my experience, all of the Traxxas vehicles are extremely durable when they are driven instead of crashed. I'm not sure why but people seem to think that RC cars were meant to do cartwheels or perform rollovers, lol.

jmw_man
Approved Member

Post by jmw_man » Tue Jan 12, 2016 8:30 pm

I posted in the "what's it worth" thread, just in case I do decide to sell it. There's more photos there.

As far as fixing it up, I'd be looking at putting a lot of money into it. I suppose I would prefer not to if the value of the truck as it sits is low. One other question I have is people tend to point out the axles as being weak, what about the gearbox? How hard would it be to strip gears? I'm trying to get an understanding of its limitations...

mrgrimm
Approved Member

Post by mrgrimm » Wed Jan 13, 2016 12:19 am

jmw_man wrote:From my experience, all of the Traxxas vehicles are extremely durable when they are driven instead of crashed. I'm not sure why but people seem to think that RC cars were meant to do cartwheels or perform rollovers, lol.
I think youtube got into people's brains too much and all the hardcore bashing vids made people want/expect a nearly indestructible truck. I kind of fell into that trap several years ago with 1/8 truggies and monster trucks - big battle between Savage Flux HP vs. custom LST's vs. truggies, etc!!! Now I am a little easier on all my RC's and overall happier to just own them rather than destroy them haha.

All it takes is the wrong angle on a part and even the toughest truck can be broken even in a minor crash!

TO me, the USA-1 should just be a nostalgia type thing...fix it up cuz it's a cool vintage ride with sentimental value. I wouldn't expect too much from it, that way you won't be disappointed - but may end up being surprised if it turns out tough! I know I am blown away by my old Clod sometimes when I cringe during a bad wreck but it ends up being A-OK.

My Savage will walk all over my Clod but I like them equally for what it's worth.
Monster trucks rule :)

jmw_man
Approved Member

Post by jmw_man » Wed Jan 13, 2016 3:57 am

There's definitely some sentimental value with the USA-1, just not the kind where I would ever put it on a shelf, or sink a ton of money into it.

I'm willing to put money in it, but then, I'm also afraid to start going down that path only to run into issues later on and finding out something is broken and seeing as how parts are hard to find, well, I just wasted "x" amount of money.

Let me ask this, when people fix up old trucks like this, do they try to run them with the dated electronics or do they update that as well?

mrgrimm
Approved Member

Post by mrgrimm » Wed Jan 13, 2016 11:01 pm

Personally I like to update the electronic gear.

If the Titian motors can fit http://www.ebay.com/itm/Traxxas-3903-16 ... SwxH1UERFA they are a great route to go with an old truck like that.

Team them up with the latest EVX-2 http://www.ebay.com/itm/Summit-EVX-2-16 ... Swm8VUy3ZS and you have a 4s lipo capable monster truck. Keep an eye on the temps on 4s though. Heck you might even find 3s is good enough and it would surely be very reliable.

A cheap 2.4 like this http://www.ebay.com/itm/HPI-1-10-Crawle ... SwiwVWRDCz is usually worth it as well.

Servo might actually be up to par, check the model and see what the specs are but again there are cheap waterproof options out there that will suffice.
Monster trucks rule :)

jmw_man
Approved Member

Post by jmw_man » Wed Jan 13, 2016 11:03 pm

mrgrimm wrote:Personally I like to update the electronic gear.

If the Titian motors can fit http://www.ebay.com/itm/Traxxas-3903-16 ... SwxH1UERFA they are a great route to go with an old truck like that.

Team them up with the latest EVX-2 http://www.ebay.com/itm/Summit-EVX-2-16 ... Swm8VUy3ZS and you have a 4s lipo capable monster truck. Keep an eye on the temps on 4s though. Heck you might even find 3s is good enough and it would surely be very reliable.

A cheap 2.4 like this http://www.ebay.com/itm/HPI-1-10-Crawle ... SwiwVWRDCz is usually worth it as well.

Servo might actually be up to par, check the model and see what the specs are but again there are cheap waterproof options out there that will suffice.
What about the old gearboxes? Do people ever strip gears? Can you imagine if something broke, that'd be the end of it wouldn't it?

Also, don't you mean 2S? Originally it ran a single NiCad,