Dubbl-A's Arrma Kraton

Although not considered a traditional monster truck, they still have monster coolness.
Want to see your truck featured on the home page? Enter our monthly contest in the general discussion section!
Forum rules
Want to see your truck featured on the home page? Enter our monthly contest in the general discussion section!
dubbl-a
Approved Member

Dubbl-A's Arrma Kraton

Post by dubbl-a » Wed Jul 22, 2015 5:09 pm

I've been eyeing these things up since they came out and never pulled the trigger on one. Long story, short, I just sold my Stampede 4x4 to a friend and almost immediately saw this on Craigs List. It was only ran a handful of times, has the updated ESC and servo and the revised steering blocks so I was sold.

This in my first 1/8 scale RC so still getting familiar with it.
I ran it on 4s so far with the 12t pinion and its moderately fast, nothing crazy, but the handling and control is fantastic. One really has to work at it to make it roll over. After the run, I took apart the center diff (which was really easy BTW) and packed it full of lithium grease to help with front/rear power transfer. Hopefully get to test it out again this w/e.

Here's a few photos.
Attachments
Kraton-4.jpg
On the workbench - Its huge.
Kraton-4.jpg (188.93 KiB) Viewed 3399 times
Kraton-3.jpg
Next to the Clod
Kraton-3.jpg (170.46 KiB) Viewed 3399 times

SFC K
Administrator

Re: Dubbl-A's Arrma Kraton

Post by SFC K » Thu Jul 23, 2015 1:13 am

Nice looking truck! 1/8th scale trucks are a hoot! Looking forward to seeing updates and a naked shot. :mrgreen:
Jeff

dubbl-a
Approved Member

Post by dubbl-a » Sun Jul 26, 2015 2:14 am

Thanks SFC K. This beast is a bunch of fun so far.

Here's a shot in the nude. :)
Also, the 6s nano-tech is a perfect fit!

After I soldered on traxxas connectors, I took it out for my first run on 6s power with the small pinion. Holy crap what a difference from 4s...this truck is and absolute beast. I never ran something with so much power and didn't break anything. It still feels a bit under geared even with the big lipo so I may put in the 14t pinion i have and see how it goes. But it's still really fast. :shock:
The decision to pack the center diff with lithium grease was a good one as it adds just enough resistance to keep the front end from completely "diffing" out and putting good power to the rear. Its nice to be able to slam the throttle and not do an immediate backflip as I have other rc's that do that. (haha!) But it'll still pull wheelies though... :)
Attachments
Kraton-5.jpg
Kraton-5.jpg (178.21 KiB) Viewed 3378 times
Kraton-6.jpg
Kraton-6.jpg (174.32 KiB) Viewed 3378 times

SFC K
Administrator

Post by SFC K » Sun Jul 26, 2015 7:04 pm

Interesting chassis layout. Everything is mounted towards the front with low center of gravity. Just siting there it looks like it handles great! Now we just need a video of it. :mrgreen:
Jeff

andymac0035
Administrator

Post by andymac0035 » Mon Jul 27, 2015 6:15 am

:popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn:

dubbl-a
Approved Member

Post by dubbl-a » Tue Aug 18, 2015 1:12 pm

Finally got some footage of the Kraton in action!
It's my first time mounting a camera to an RC. I was never really a huge fan of this but its been growing on me so I thought I'd have a go at it. Overall, it came out cool but its a bit shaky so I kept it short and sweet. A few high speed passes on 6S with the baby (12t) pinion. It rips along pretty good! :P

[youtube]aNnWATZF09o[/youtube]

SFC K
Administrator

Post by SFC K » Wed Aug 19, 2015 1:16 am

Yeah it was a little twitchy but my eyes were glued to those front tires watching them turn to saucers. :shock: Cool Video! 8)
Jeff

dubbl-a
Approved Member

Post by dubbl-a » Wed Aug 19, 2015 2:02 am

Haha, yea it doesn't take long for the front tires to fan out on 6S. :lol:

I had the camera mounted on the wing to get the perspective i wanted but the trade off was more violent shakes i guess. I might try mounting it to the rear shock tower or the body and see how it goes. But I think the results will be marginal at best. Its a violent ride!

dubbl-a
Approved Member

Post by dubbl-a » Tue Oct 13, 2015 2:20 am

A small update on the Kraton.

I decided to take out the 12t pinion and put in the 14t as it feels more and more under geared as I drive it. While I was at it, took out the center diff again and removed the lithium grease in favor for some 500,000 weight diff oil. This stuff is so thick I can't think of anything to compare it to...molasses has got nothing on this stuff! This was a slow process as you almost have to pack it in to get it to settle. But, upon inspecting the diff, all the internals were in good shape with the exception of one of the roll pins. It was snapped in half. The downside was that I didn't have a replacement so I found some spare ones from my Wrath parts bin and used that for the time being. Its just a hair smaller in diameter so it may not hold up to 6s for long.

Anyway, I go out for a run on 6s, with super thick diff oil, 14t pinion and a Wraith roll pin and let a rip. WOW... :shock: The crazy power transfer to the front is gone and the truck just hooks up and goes. The massive tire ballooning is gone and the speed from just upping 2 teeth is impressive. Ran the pack through and the pin held up...probably because I have it on the outdrive to the front so theres a little less load on it...

This is the most ridiculous RC I have ever owned. If anyone is tossing around the idea of getting one you wont be sorry!

mrgrimm
Approved Member

Post by mrgrimm » Tue Oct 13, 2015 3:37 am

1/8 scale center diff equipped rc's are simply amazing - sounds like you are figuring it out nicely! One thing I like to do is add some plastic skid plates front and rear on the underside where the diff housings bolt through the chassis. DE racing is popular and makes them for most 1/8 rc's but not sure about the Kraton as it's still kind of new. Could probably make your own out of some scrap though if not...
Monster trucks rule :)

dubbl-a
Approved Member

Post by dubbl-a » Tue Oct 13, 2015 1:17 pm

Yes, i agree, the center diff is sweet.
As soon as I got this thing I kind of just dove in and started playing around and I'm starting to get the hang of 1/8th scale stuff.
I never thought about skid plates under the diff housings...probably wouldn't be too hard to make some. Thanks for the tip!

What 1/8th scale beasts do you have?

mrgrimm
Approved Member

Post by mrgrimm » Wed Oct 14, 2015 12:10 pm

http://www.deracing.net/store/index.php ... th=268_287

Check that link, I'll bet one of these would fit your Arrma but you would have to measure the bolt pattern. I have found that one in front helps, but the one in the rear is necessary if you want to save your chassis from grinding down.

I have had a variety of 1/8, started with a mugen mbx5t-e then went losi 8t-e, then associated SC8-e, but now I currently have an associated RC8.2-e.

The Kraton is a slick looking layout and if I ever get another truggy that's what I'll be getting.
Monster trucks rule :)

dubbl-a
Approved Member

Post by dubbl-a » Sat Oct 31, 2015 2:28 am

Awesome.
Thank you for the info!

dubbl-a
Approved Member

Post by dubbl-a » Sat Oct 31, 2015 3:09 am

I wanted to try out a different body for the Kraton. After a lot of tossing around ideas, I went with the Proline Desert Militia body. I really like the raw looks of it as its not quite a pick up truck and not quite an SUV. Yes, its mostly a Hummer body but it's different and looked fitting for the Kraton. Obviously some cutting was needed to make it fit, so I ditched the wing in favor of a massive wheelie bar from a TT MT4 GT3. This way i didn't have to hack off the entire rear section of the body to accommodate the wing.

After all the fitment modifying was done, I was able to mount it as low as possible and still (barely) clear the shock towers and kept that low-slung look. Cool. I used Proline's new extended body posts with the Secure Loc caps. Once the stock mounts are removed, these posts pretty much bolt right up and are super strong. The set I used was for an E-Maxx so I just had to cut them to the correct length I was good to go. This is by far the most secure body mounts I've ever used. Once the caps are screwed down there is not a bit of play at all and a nice, tight fit.

On to paint. I wanted to try and get close to the red of the anodizing that Arrma used on various different parts so I went with Tamiya PS-15 Metallic red and PS-5 Black. Also, I wanted to try my hand at painting the Arrma logo and Kraton logo on the body, so for the first time, I used some liquid mask. Three coats later, I was ready to cut out the logos. This wasn't an easy body to start with...it has so many facets and tough areas to get to it made hand cutting these logos a super challenge. I also didn't put enough mask on either and used one of those stupid foam brushes to apply it. #-o Live and learn. Many, many hours later I finished it up. It's far from perfect but I thought it came out pretty cool.

Here's a bunch of photos to scroll though... :)
Attachments
Kraton-7.jpg
Kraton-7.jpg (138.32 KiB) Viewed 3152 times
Kraton-8.jpg
Kraton-8.jpg (164.73 KiB) Viewed 3152 times
Kraton-9.jpg
Kraton-9.jpg (136.85 KiB) Viewed 3152 times
Kraton-10.jpg
Kraton-10.jpg (159.56 KiB) Viewed 3152 times
Kraton-11.jpg
Kraton-11.jpg (92.74 KiB) Viewed 3152 times
Kraton-12.jpg