New project trucks! - Slash 4x4 and Vaterra Halix

Although not considered a traditional monster truck, they still have monster coolness.
Want to see your truck featured on the home page? Enter our monthly contest in the general discussion section!
Forum rules
Want to see your truck featured on the home page? Enter our monthly contest in the general discussion section!
cummins driver
Approved Member

New project trucks! - Slash 4x4 and Vaterra Halix

Post by cummins driver » Sat Jan 10, 2015 5:25 am

Well Ive been looking for a while for a 4x4 stampede or slash to play around with. In the past I have done quite a bit of running with larger trucks like Savages, Monster GT's, LST, etc... Some brushless converted, some nitro. Ive finally decided that I just really enjoy running the smaller single battery, lighter, simpler trucks better and so I was wanting a 4x4 slash or pede to build. Finally lucked up and bought one as a roller in my price range. Came with a Novak Ballistic 4.5 550 motor installed but no other electronics, and no body. This worked out excellent because I already had a hobbyking 150a Brushless ESC that works great that I didn't have installed in anything. So it showed up today and I got all my electronics in and it seems to be working great. I didn't run it hardly any, but this motor is going to be fast! :shock: 2s is already a rocket. 3s would be crazy. I probably wont run 3s much because as of right now id like to stick with the stock driveshafts if at all possible.

Anyways, my goal for this truck is to make it a 1/10 monster truck. The extra wheelbase over the stampede should make it slightly more stable. Going to find me some 2.8 MT tires that I like, and a monster truck (or Baja Beetle) body and run the heck out of it! Needs a few small things replaced but shouldn't take much to be ready to rock.

EDIT - Just bought a Vattera Halix used and since both trucks are so similar, I will put that here too. I have info/pics of it half way down the page.
Attachments
7.JPG
7.JPG (134.26 KiB) Viewed 1089 times
6.JPG
6.JPG (111.6 KiB) Viewed 1089 times
5.JPG
5.JPG (143.89 KiB) Viewed 1089 times
Last edited by cummins driver on Fri Jan 16, 2015 2:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
- Clodbuster with wheelie king chassis
Traxxas Titan 550 21t's w/14t pinions
EVX-2 Waterproof ESC
- Brushless Traxxas Stampede 2wd
- Brushless Associated MGT
- A few Nitro's, a few Stadium Trucks, and a couple 1/8 Buggies too

andymac0035
Administrator

Re: New project truck!

Post by andymac0035 » Sat Jan 10, 2015 6:22 am

Nice project, you'll have much fun with that.

Not mine, but here's a little inspiration for ya'.
viewtopic.php?f=47&t=27659

cummins driver
Approved Member

Post by cummins driver » Sun Jan 11, 2015 5:26 am

Thanks! Kinda anxious to get it setup how I want. May be a little bit. I need to take care of some maintenance items on it as well as get some wheels/tires for it.

I did get to run it some today. Got an F-350 body mounted. Its kind of a beater body, but keeps me from tearing up the truck when I flip it. I ran a whole pack through it and it runs excellent with lots of power.

I do have a question. Im running a turnigy 5200mah 30c(I believe) 2s pack. The motor is a Novak 550 5000kv that im sure sucks some pretty good juice. I have this truck geared pretty high right now. It has a 19t pinion on it because that is all I had and I wanted to try it out some. Im guessing it needs more like a 14-15t pinion. I was running it on the road and in some grass. Anyway, when I got done running, the battery had lasted about 20 minutes, but it had also puffed some. It was warm, but not hot. The motor and ESC were still cool. The battery is probably at least 3 years old now. It has been a good one.

My question is, do you think the battery just isn't up to snuff anymore, or is it just geared too high for the higher KV motor, causing it to pull too many amps? I need to look and see if it is still puffed or if it has gone back down. My other pair of lipo's which are different actually just got pretty weak on me. Still running them in brushed rigs, but the LVC trips immediately in the VXL stampede even with the pack freshly charged, so they wont be any good for anything brushless and if I kill them totally its not a loss at this point. However, I had no issues from these turnigy's until today, so im curious as to whats happened.
EVX-2 Waterproof ESC

andymac0035
Administrator

Post by andymac0035 » Mon Jan 12, 2015 5:10 am

Well, stock motor is 3500kv, and stock gearing is a 13t pinion and a 54t spur, so I'd say what happened sounds about right. Smallest possible pinion would be a good (and cheap) start.

cummins driver
Approved Member

Post by cummins driver » Mon Jan 12, 2015 6:29 am

Well according to some reading I did, a lot of people are running these with 15t pinions. Apparently the bigger 550 can motor is fine with it(I realize I was still 4t larger than that though). Heck, it never even got hot at all running the 19t pinion. But Im sure it also puts more load on the battery(obviously). Ive run these for a long time in my brushless MGT that weighs 14 pounds with no issues. The battery isn't puffed anymore and the cells aren't far from each other on the balance. Gonna go down to about a 13t pinion I think and try again. Ive currently got it taken apart for maintenance. Getting ready to install new bearings in both differentials, and one is getting a new diff cup as well. Bought a new spur (the one on it is chewed up), and new rear hubs since one of them is apparently off of something else. Once I get everything gone through, ill try again with hopefully better results. :?
EVX-2 Waterproof ESC

cummins driver
Approved Member

Re: New project trucks! - Slash 4x4 and Vaterra Halix

Post by cummins driver » Fri Jan 16, 2015 2:49 am

Well Im back with some updates.

As for the Slash, I did some maintenance items on it tonight. Replaced all the differential bearings except for the front pinion bearings, replaced the rear differential cup because the plastic was worn allowing a lot of play on the spider gear shaft coming through it. Got some wiring cleaned up some, and installed a 14t pinion. Also have a rear hub coming for it and got a spare spur gear since the stocker is pretty chewed up but still working fine. Havent ran it with the smaller pinion yet.

I also have a new project to add to the thread though. I just happened to run across a Vaterra Halix roller for a good price. I had watched a few reviews on them and people seemed to really like them, so I thought I would give it a try. Same wheelbase as the stampede. It came with wheels/tires off of a helion animus(I think that the name?), and a Nissan titan body. This thing is extra clean and in very nice shape. I hear a guy on a review say they designed this from the ground up and it was like no other vehicle on the market, but I know exactly what they did. Its a clone of a stampede 4x4, and for good reason since people really like them. They did a good job with this truck from what I can tell. I really like everything about it. I like the axles better than the traxxas axles because the "yokes" are metal and not plastic, but as far as strength, neither the slash/stampede/halix can handle over 2s reliably on stock axles from what I have read. The halix has beefier looking diffs than the traxxas trucks, although they all seem to be able to handle 3s just fine. The halix has 48 pitch gears and a motor mount that has individual holes for the pinion you want to run instead of a slotted mount. I actually like it pretty well because you can install the motor on the mount, then put the mount in the truck and not worry about the mesh. The 48p gears may be a little weak on 3s, but seem to work fine, and this thing has a very smooth/quiet driveline. As of right now, I have installed an EVX-2 and a titan 21t I had laying around and was running it on 3s, only for about 5 minutes in the driveway. Runs pretty fair, but probably not well enough to suit me. Any reccomendations on a brushed motor that will push this truck well on 3s without cooking itself? I thought about a Titan 12t and 2s. Seems to work well in the stampede 4x4 XL-5. Ill keep the slash brushless, and my eventually throw my velineon in this, but for now I may keep it brushed. Anyways, enough rambling, ill post some pictures. Ill try to keep you guys updated on both trucks as I get to run them, but this time of year the weather doesn't help that much...

I swapped the tires from the Halix to my slash, and put a set of HPI wheels/tires I had laying around on the Halix. The body on the slash is sold with another truck so it will be getting a new (better looking) body soon.
Attachments
16.JPG
16.JPG (146 KiB) Viewed 1015 times
11.JPG
11.JPG (127.03 KiB) Viewed 1015 times
13.JPG
13.JPG (138.1 KiB) Viewed 1015 times
20.JPG
20.JPG (123.99 KiB) Viewed 1015 times
23.JPG
23.JPG (107.9 KiB) Viewed 1015 times
9.JPG