The Clodtalk High Roller Thread

Although not considered a traditional monster truck, they still have monster coolness.
Want to see your truck featured on the home page? Enter our monthly contest in the general discussion section!
Forum rules
Want to see your truck featured on the home page? Enter our monthly contest in the general discussion section!
theace27
Approved Member

Re: MRP HIGH ROLLER

Post by theace27 » Thu Mar 17, 2011 1:53 pm

Oh while we are at it, here is the article from 1988's Pulling Power magazine. The guy who wrote this article is also the guy who made the High Roller and Big Bear video that most of you have seen on You Tube. Enjoy!

theace27
Approved Member

Post by theace27 » Thu Mar 17, 2011 2:16 pm

One other thing, if anyone needs a copy of the manual Lowgear (Johnny) was ever so nice to scan me his way back when. I still have the files if anyone needs a copy. Thanks again Lowgear for doing that for me back then.

MT TRUCKER14
Banned Member

Post by MT TRUCKER14 » Thu Mar 17, 2011 9:37 pm

I have original manuals now. The downfall of this truck was the primary gear and the complexity of the build. Real poor instructions and errors. In every truck I found the primary gear was damaged and eveyone on this tread has said the same thing. I solved that problem with metal gears in the centeral gearbox. One other thing I found was the wheel clamp spacers in the tires were the wrong width. So when you assembled the tires and put them on the axles they would rub the steering arms and crack the inside wheel halfs. :x
I now have a full black version a full white version and a mix version.

theace27
Approved Member

Post by theace27 » Thu Mar 17, 2011 11:32 pm

MT TRUCKER sell me an original manual if you will. Man you gotta post some pics of your trucks, I wanna see them. When I put this truck together all the transfer case gears were in really good shape, nothing damaged. Same with the inner wheels, they are in great shape and don't look like they have ever rubbed anything. This truck of mine isn't missing any parts nor are any parts broken on it. The only flaw is two small holes that were drilled in the back of the tub as the guy who had it before me mounted the rear bumper to the tub and not the body like it should have been.

SFC K
Administrator

Post by SFC K » Fri Mar 18, 2011 12:11 am

That is a very nice example of the HR. That is too bad about the two holes though…Those magazines are pretty cool too! You got to love those old articles. :wink:
Jeff

TamiyaTony
Approved Member

Post by TamiyaTony » Fri Mar 18, 2011 2:08 am

Thank you so much for posting those images and telling us a bit of history. I hope and pray that one day I welcome a High Roller into my life. Until then, I appreciate the postings and images from those willing to share with us. You rock! BTW, by all means please feel free to post as many photos of your HRs as you can. Preferably glamor shots in cool locations and at high resolution.
:D
My son... ask for thyself another kingdom... for that which I leave is too small for thee.

theace27
Approved Member

Post by theace27 » Fri Mar 18, 2011 3:37 am

Tony, I think I have checked out your pics on Flickr, you had a Clod that looked a lot like Samson 1. Right? Anyway, I have a good friend who has an impressive High Roller collection, we were hanging out a few weeks back and he said about maybe unloading one. If that happens I will be sure to have him contact you as going back threw this thread you have talked about getting one for a long time. Let me see what I can do for ya. I will post some more High Roller pics that I have in my stash for you all to enjoy.

Diamond Dave
Approved Member

Post by Diamond Dave » Fri Mar 18, 2011 4:25 am

OK guys, explain the HR stigma to me. I understand it was one of the first MT's, if not the first.

I understand that they are rare (complete), but what I don't get is why?

Don't get me wrong, I would love to own one as well. Kinda like having an early 50's Vette, or one of only 100 off the plant assembly line dodge muscle cars.

Totally cool truck and one of the earliest I know of, so fill me in... Thx!

TamiyaTony
Approved Member

Post by TamiyaTony » Fri Mar 18, 2011 5:26 am

Thanks Ace. You're awesome. Not sure if I could afford the huge amount of money they are going for at the moment, but hopefully when the time comes I'll make do. About the Samson, I sold the body a while back but have since added a sweet body. It's an ongoing truck. If I find some cool bits and pieces for sale, I'll add them one by one.

About the High Roller stigma, for me it goes way back to the eighties. I got into the R/C world after seeing my best friend's Monster Beetle. His parents always got him the best stuff and after watching his Beetle, I just had to have a monster of my own. At the time, I didn't have much money and the Beetle was the top end of the Frog-based monsters. For a time I considered getting a Midnight Pumpkin or Lunchbox, but thankfully I managed to get a Blackfoot. I loved my Blackfoot even though I went through a lot of dog bones. Anywhoo, for those who had the means and the wherewithal, there was no substitute; the Clod Buster was the king of the hill. But, there was another monster truck that somehow not many people knew about or understood, and that was the High Roller. For me, it represented a genuine threat to the domination of the Clod. Here was a capable 4x4x4 that could do what the Clod did. And it actually looked more realistic and to scale with proper-sized shocks and tires. It looked so bad Once again, I failed to fool both the language filters AND the Mods! But it's Achilles' heel was its fragile drive train and complex assembly. I suppose it was a little too intimidating for the average kid to comprehend and more tailored to adults. Because of that and because of the Clod Buster's presence, the High Roller didn't have the exposure it deserved. When I was that young kid with a Blackfoot, I LUSTED after a Clod. Today I almost have that same feeling for a High Roller. To me, real monster trucks are the old timers with full-frames, leaf springs and 16 or more shock absorbers with drivers just wearing motorcycle helmets (if they wore a helmet at all). The original R/C monsters emulate those behemoths and that's why I love them dearly.
:D
My son... ask for thyself another kingdom... for that which I leave is too small for thee.

Diamond Dave
Approved Member

Post by Diamond Dave » Fri Mar 18, 2011 5:32 am

That def helps in seeing what all the interest is about the truck.

I kinda missed the early days of these trucks, as I was not to into it in the mid 80's.

Come 1990-93 I bought many Losi stadium trucks, thats what got me going. I did not care for the clod at the time, to slow, to heavy etc etc.

Many years and much more experience later, I see how the clod is still around as we are able to afford parts, understand the construction (again) etc etc.

Gives me a good heads up Tony!

MT TRUCKER14
Banned Member

Post by MT TRUCKER14 » Fri Mar 18, 2011 1:12 pm

theace27 wrote:MT TRUCKER sell me an original manual if you will. Man you gotta post some pics of your trucks, I wanna see them. When I put this truck together all the transfer case gears were in really good shape, nothing damaged. Same with the inner wheels, they are in great shape and don't look like they have ever rubbed anything. This truck of mine isn't missing any parts nor are any parts broken on it. The only flaw is two small holes that were drilled in the back of the tub as the guy who had it before me mounted the rear bumper to the tub and not the body like it should have been.

IF your truck was never assembled and ran chances are the primary gear in the centeral gearbox was good? But over time the primary gear will go bad just like all the rest. If you didn't disassemble the wheels to check for the problem and left them the way they came and tightend the wheel nuts untill they stop you won't really see the problem. You need to take them apart and check the spacer width. The rear bumper was attached on the tub as well as the fenders were molded in on later versions. One of my trucks has the rear bumper attached to the tub and the rubber fenders.

theace27
Approved Member

Post by theace27 » Fri Mar 18, 2011 2:06 pm

How does this stuff over time go bad? I can see tires going bad but plastic or nylon parts.... It disassembled this entire truck including the wheels from the tires. Everything was given a thorough cleaning and inspection before it was put back together. I didn't see any problems with the wheels.

"The rear bumper was attached on the tub as well as the fenders were molded in on later versions. One of my trucks has the rear bumper attached to the tub and the rubber fenders." You need to take pictures so I can see this. I thought I had noticed those rubber fenders on another truck I have pics of but couldn't exactly tell, it kinda looked like the body hadn't been trimmed down to the cut line. I'd like to see the tub mounted bumper too cause the one that was on mine had what looked like home made extentions with longer bolts.

theace27
Approved Member

Post by theace27 » Fri Mar 18, 2011 2:12 pm

Back in 1987 or 88 I was at a local mall that was holding a RC race. This kid showed up with a Clod Buster and I about flipped my lid!! The thing was huge compaired to any other RC's I had seen at the time. I wanted one bad! Then came that Jan. 89 issue of RC Car Action and I then wanted a High Roller over a Clod. Just the sight of seeing it floating in water like a real mid 80's era monster truck. I remember going to the hobby shop with my Dad and the guy there said that as cool as the High Roller was the Clod was the way to go. Which he was right and I ended up getting a Clod. But for years always wanted to get my hand on a High Roller even just to put on the shelf. Then years later I finally got one.

MT TRUCKER14
Banned Member

Post by MT TRUCKER14 » Fri Mar 18, 2011 10:06 pm

theace27 wrote:How does this stuff over time go bad? I can see tires going bad but plastic or nylon parts.... It disassembled this entire truck including the wheels from the tires. Everything was given a thorough cleaning and inspection before it was put back together. I didn't see any problems with the wheels.

"The rear bumper was attached on the tub as well as the fenders were molded in on later versions. One of my trucks has the rear bumper attached to the tub and the rubber fenders." You need to take pictures so I can see this. I thought I had noticed those rubber fenders on another truck I have pics of but couldn't exactly tell, it kinda looked like the body hadn't been trimmed down to the cut line. I'd like to see the tub mounted bumper too cause the one that was on mine had what looked like home made extentions with longer bolts.
I suspect you didn't take out the tire spacer out of the tire and put the two outside wheel halfs together? You won't see what I'm talking about unless you do that. When you do this you will see one side of the wheel has clerance for the tire wall thickness and the other side dosen't ( it should be the inside). So when you assemble the tires your not fully seating the inside wheel against the wheel spacer correctly as it should be alowing clearance for the tire wall. Not leaving this space when assembling the wheel halfs together you will make the wheel wider and not seat correctly on the wheel shaft when tightening the wheel nut. This will cause the wheel to be pushed against the steering spindles causing them to rub and crack (or dish it out) the inside wheel half. You can fix the wheel with a heet gun buy softening the plastic and flatening it out, but if you don't have the right tools to remove the plastic from the wheel spacer to allow for the tire wall ?? In the manual the manual the #2 screws wer 1/4"long? They change then to #2 X 3/8" later because of a problem with tightening the wheel halfs??? The #2x1/4 were right when the wheel spacer was wrong. But now that you have to use the 3/8" long screws because the 1/4" are too short for this fix. you will have to cut them to 5/16" or they will be too long now if you decide to fix the problem. Did you try an tighten the wheel nuts all the way untill they stopped. There should be end play when they are properly mounted right. Plastic over time can become brittle especially when plastic comes in contact with metal. The primary gear is a perfect example of a real problem later. Plastic with a metal hub will always crack. Plastic shrinks with age. The primary gear was the sacrifical gear in the drive line by design. I have yet to find an origional primary gear.

theace27
Approved Member

Post by theace27 » Sat Mar 19, 2011 1:59 am

WOW! Trying to process all that. I will have to pull a wheel and tire apart and see. Thanks for explaination, I guess I never noticed that. All I can say is looking at the outer portion of the inner wheel half nothing looks like it has rubbed. Same goes for the gears, nothing is cracked or broken.

I refuse to run this High Roller, not willing to risk its integery so it says in a box with the wheels and tires off. I'd really like to see your trucks man. Please post some pics, along with pics of these metal gears, they sound cool, might be something I wouldn't mind getting off of you. Actually shoot some video of you running your trucks, that would be really cool. I am sure a lot of people would dig seeing that. Have you run your trucks in water? The first High Roller I got I ran in the water one time. Was pretty neat to see, wish I had had someone take video of it when I did it. Was a lot of clean up afterwards making sure everything was dry.