The Clodtalk High Roller Thread

Although not considered a traditional monster truck, they still have monster coolness.
Want to see your truck featured on the home page? Enter our monthly contest in the general discussion section!
Forum rules
Want to see your truck featured on the home page? Enter our monthly contest in the general discussion section!
old_rc_lover
Approved Member

Re: MRP HIGH ROLLER

Post by old_rc_lover » Wed Dec 22, 2010 12:48 am

With the added suspension, you do not have a problem with throwing dog bones? I have seen a lot of ware on the dog bones from over turning on the front.

MT TRUCKER14
Banned Member

Post by MT TRUCKER14 » Wed Dec 22, 2010 2:31 pm

No issues. I just improved it a little. The ball link was hitting the spindle so I spaced it to allow it to move it's full travel. :)

old_rc_lover
Approved Member

Post by old_rc_lover » Mon Jan 10, 2011 3:35 am

Here is an old article I ran across on the web. Interesting to see what people had to say about the MRP Highroller back in the day. Came from a Pulling Power magazine July of 1988.... :D
Picture0001.jpg
Picture0001.jpg (80.67 KiB) Viewed 1369 times
Picture0002.jpg
Picture0002.jpg (94.03 KiB) Viewed 1369 times
Picture0003.jpg
Picture0003.jpg (94.53 KiB) Viewed 1369 times

MT TRUCKER14
Banned Member

Post by MT TRUCKER14 » Wed Jan 12, 2011 3:06 pm

I use the same Aristocraft 4000 radio to control all my trucks. Vintage radio for a vintage truck. The manual speed controler sucked. I switchedthem all to ESC. I could se why the truck was soe hard to build. The instructions were poorly writen. Even with admendments it still was bad.

old_rc_lover
Approved Member

Post by old_rc_lover » Fri Jan 14, 2011 1:39 am

I would have to agree with you on that. The original speed control is one of the hardest that I have had to put together yet. I think that MRP was a little ahead of there time. I am still blown a way at the fact that they used Voltage regulators for BEC circuit on there mechanical speed controls. Most others at that time were using voltage dropping diodes. I am using the original mechanical speed controls in my 3 High Rollers, but have a ESC in my runner.
DSC00975.JPG
DSC00975.JPG (140.26 KiB) Viewed 1348 times
Have not yet completed build on my runner. Who ever owned it last, dyed it red/white/blue. I decided to leave it this color.
DSC00973.JPG
DSC00973.JPG (139.64 KiB) Viewed 1348 times
Still looking for suitable gear replacements for the trany gears. Could run original plastic ones, but probably would not last too long. If any one out there knows of a place that will cut/make gears, please let me know.
Here is a pic of the three stock ones that I have. 1 black, and 2 white. Still working on stripping paint off of bodies and repainting. There tires are wrapped up in plastic so not to rot...
DSC00974.JPG
DSC00974.JPG (141.11 KiB) Viewed 1348 times

SFC K
Administrator

Post by SFC K » Fri Jan 14, 2011 1:54 am

First off, Nice looking examples of the High Roller! They are amazing and you have 3 of them!

If you are seeking some suitable gears, I would shoot Mike Hesse an E-mail. He does custom work for Clods. He might be able to help you with making some better gears for you or point you in the right direction.

http://www.rcmt.biz/bd/showthread.php?1 ... chine-INFO
Jeff

old_rc_lover
Approved Member

Post by old_rc_lover » Fri Jan 14, 2011 2:12 am

Thanks, I just shot Mike an E-mail. I will keep my fingers crossed. :D

scottgir
Approved Member

Post by scottgir » Fri Feb 18, 2011 2:44 pm

Do any of you guys drive the High Roller. When I was a teen way back when I wanted one of these, to be different from the Clodbuster kids LOL. Didn't get either of them because I dumped my money into racing my JRX2 and Optima.

This is one on a wishlist for me but will never happen. LOL.

MT TRUCKER14
Banned Member

Post by MT TRUCKER14 » Sat Feb 19, 2011 2:01 pm

The truck is extremely fragile. I make my own parts to keep mine running. :D I don't own shelf queens.
Last edited by MT TRUCKER14 on Sat Mar 05, 2011 3:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Gamester
Approved Member

Post by Gamester » Tue Mar 08, 2011 11:34 pm

Yea, the High Roller is one of those trucks that practically no one has heard of in general RC conversation. I had always wanted to see one of those in some H2O action :mrgreen:

TamiyaTony
Approved Member

Post by TamiyaTony » Fri Mar 11, 2011 5:16 am

All, I was looking through my High Roller photos and wanted a nice sized glamor shot for a wallpaper. However, I didn't have one except for a monochrome box art photo. So, I spent a few tedious hours painstakingly colorizing it until the image you see here. What do you think of my work? Not bad for a black & white photo huh?

:mrgreen:

Last edited by TamiyaTony on Fri Mar 11, 2011 5:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
My son... ask for thyself another kingdom... for that which I leave is too small for thee.

Diamond Dave
Approved Member

Post by Diamond Dave » Fri Mar 11, 2011 5:51 am

I love the exhaust pipes, imagine hearing it run and standing a few feet away!!

You did great with the tires and the shine and the shadow and the gold and the rear tire reflection etc etc.

TamiyaTony
Approved Member

Post by TamiyaTony » Fri Mar 11, 2011 5:55 am

Thanks Dave! Yup, it took quite a while. I spent a few hours on it, went to get dinner, came back and spent another few hours to finish it. I only had an itsy bitsy tiny low res photo of the color version to work with too. Now if only I got paid to do this stuff....
:lol:
My son... ask for thyself another kingdom... for that which I leave is too small for thee.

Diamond Dave
Approved Member

Post by Diamond Dave » Fri Mar 11, 2011 6:11 am

Atleast you give a crap and did it!! I think it looks cool, knowing what the pic is.

IF it was just something someone posted and said here is a pic I have, we would all say oh, it seems old, or out of focus.

I like it, Be proud, do more!! Keep em for yourself if nothing else!
Last edited by Diamond Dave on Fri Mar 11, 2011 7:00 am, edited 1 time in total.

theace27
Approved Member

Post by theace27 » Thu Mar 17, 2011 1:45 pm

This thread has been a lot of fun to read!!! Some posts are funnier then others. Anyway back to the main reason why this thread was started. I have had a few High Rollers over the years but currently only own one. After seeing what the prices these are going for these days this will probably be the last High Roller I own. It is crazy to see how high the price is. For example that black and gold High Roller that has been on Ebay this last while, I talked to the last guy to own that truck back in 2004ish. He bought the truck for 50 bucks with the intent of running it. After finding out that replacement parts are long gone he never did anything with it. Him and I talked for awhile back and fourth and we almost had a deal worked out for 150 bucks and then I decided I didn't need another truck, he was fine with that and decided he wanted to keep it anyway. Well I guess he sold it to its new owner who is now selling it for 750 bucks a few years later. Wow, talk about a good investment. Anyway I am glad to finally see these trucks being paid attention they deserve. They seemed for a long time just a blip in RC history. Tonight I will dig my High Roller out of the box and take some pics of it. Until then here are some scans of the RC Car Action Jan. 1989 track report on the High Roller. Enjoy.