The Clodtalk High Roller Thread

Although not considered a traditional monster truck, they still have monster coolness.
Want to see your truck featured on the home page? Enter our monthly contest in the general discussion section!
Forum rules
Want to see your truck featured on the home page? Enter our monthly contest in the general discussion section!
MT TRUCKER14
Banned Member

Re: MRP HIGH ROLLER

Post by MT TRUCKER14 » Sat Mar 19, 2011 2:27 pm

I never ran any of my trucks in water. I did run a USA-1 along time ago. it floated. Im surprized you only ran your truck once I guess that's why your primary gear stayed intact. Every gear I found was split. It didn't mater about the color. I also found cracked thrust diff plates too. But again I can fix anything made from aluminum to metal and some plastic on the truck. The truck is no fun just sitting on the shelf. :) I use Duratrax ecs and Onyx batteries for longer runtime.

Lowgear
Administrator

Post by Lowgear » Sun Mar 20, 2011 2:05 am

theace27 wrote:Back in 1987 or 88 I was at a local mall that was holding a RC race. This kid showed up with a Clod Buster and I about flipped my lid!! The thing was huge compaired to any other RC's I had seen at the time. I wanted one bad! Then came that Jan. 89 issue of RC Car Action and I then wanted a High Roller over a Clod. Just the sight of seeing it floating in water like a real mid 80's era monster truck. I remember going to the hobby shop with my Dad and the guy there said that as cool as the High Roller was the Clod was the way to go. Which he was right and I ended up getting a Clod. But for years always wanted to get my hand on a High Roller even just to put on the shelf. Then years later I finally got one.
I can't believe you're back! I thought maybe you died or something its been such a long time. :P :lol: How about the High Roller manual I scanned you some years ago. Do you still have it?

theace27
Approved Member

Post by theace27 » Sun Mar 20, 2011 7:16 pm

Hey Lowgear (Johnny right?) yeah still kickin' around. Haven't really done much with RC stuff these last few years. I am currently building 2 NRCTPA retro Clods to get back into RC's. Heck ya I still have the manual you scanned, anyone that needs the files just let me know!!

MT TRUCKER14, I would rather have my High Roller sit on a shelf in nice original condition then to have to build machined aluminum parts to keep it running. To me something that has been altered or changed from original in the cases of these trucks is not what I am into. If it is internal parts that is one thing but if you are machining cases and what not I'd rather build a Clod out of aftermarket parts. A vintage RC is no longer vintage once you start adding new machined parts. Just my opinion though.

MT TRUCKER14
Banned Member

Post by MT TRUCKER14 » Sun Mar 20, 2011 9:27 pm

As long as the machined parts are for stock to keep it going and not modified I will keep doing it. You know they don't make parts anymore and if people want to get it running again Im all for it. It's not just all about keeping it origional anymore when you can't get the parts to put it back to origional again and people start hoarding parts as some do. I not cool with that. :( I don't put any Rc on the shelf just to look at it. The parts I make are not hurting the nostalgia of the truck. I just fix them up to run them again. The clodbuster is another whole story. Machined parts don't hurt any rc as long as they are an optional upgrade for stock. If I could injection mold the parts origional I would. But that costs big bucks. I have lots of aluminum and free time to experiment so that costs me nothing. I not trying to make a full aluminum HR.

theace27
Approved Member

Post by theace27 » Mon Mar 21, 2011 2:10 am

Dude, I am not knocking you for making aluminum parts for your High Roller, I applaud that. I am just responding to your shelf queens are no fun comment. I enjoy the fact that I have a 100% original High Roller as I am sure you enjoy the fact that you have High Rollers you run. I am just stating my opinion, not knocking what you do. Cool?

I would however really like to see your trucks, they sound really cool. I know the other High Roller fans on here would like to see them as well, so please take some pictures. Pictures are worth 1000 words.

MT TRUCKER14
Banned Member

Post by MT TRUCKER14 » Mon Mar 28, 2011 9:22 pm

I now own a 100% assembled original MRP HIGH ROLLER. :D It took 4 trucks to find 1 good primary gear and a good body with roll bar lights and no dry rotted tires. The other trucks all had bad primary gears. So Iv'e come to the conclusion that what Im doing is restoring them back to the road again. Why should they just sit on the shelf and collect dust when people really want to run them but fear breaking them and can't find parts anymore. People have choices. I chose mine. :)

old_rc_lover
Approved Member

Post by old_rc_lover » Tue Mar 29, 2011 1:33 am

I just picked one up not too long ago that is still NIB for pretty cheap, I thought.
The guy must have needed the money.
DSC00911.JPG
DSC00911.JPG (138.88 KiB) Viewed 1743 times
DSC00918.JPG
DSC00918.JPG (146.48 KiB) Viewed 1743 times

Diamond Dave
Approved Member

Post by Diamond Dave » Tue Mar 29, 2011 1:39 am

You must have been so hyped to be able to get it. Nice score.

SFC K
Administrator

Post by SFC K » Tue Mar 29, 2011 2:28 am

Diamond Dave wrote:You must have been so hyped to be able to get it. Nice score.
I would have loved to have found one of those for a good price, and it is in the box unbuilt.
Jeff

TamiyaTony
Approved Member

Post by TamiyaTony » Tue Mar 29, 2011 3:44 pm

Hey RC Lover, thanks for posting those box photos. I didn't have a nice-sized box art image in my collection, so now I do.
:camera: :D
My son... ask for thyself another kingdom... for that which I leave is too small for thee.

old_rc_lover
Approved Member

Post by old_rc_lover » Tue Mar 29, 2011 7:03 pm

Yep, since MRP is not making any new High Rollers, and some people do not share there pictures, we all have to look at all the old pics and talk about all the old trucks. Oh wait, that is why I joined these types of web sites.. I like talking and see all the old trucks again. Oh memories!!! :D
Here are some more side box shots..
DSC00913.JPG
DSC00913.JPG (143.11 KiB) Viewed 2094 times
DSC00914.JPG
DSC00914.JPG (138.11 KiB) Viewed 2094 times
DSC00915.JPG
DSC00915.JPG (141.88 KiB) Viewed 2094 times

old_rc_lover
Approved Member

Post by old_rc_lover » Tue Mar 29, 2011 8:08 pm

I did just pick up a Marui Samurai at my local hobby shop. There it was, just sitting on the shelf like it was back in 1987... I couldn't pass it up, but know that I bought it I feel like I could have used the money else ware...
DSC01087.JPG
DSC01087.JPG (117.49 KiB) Viewed 2087 times
I have very few Marui cars..
But back to High Rollers.
I am currently getting parts together to make some mechanical speed controls. They will be just like the originals only with new Transistors, resistors, switch and wipers. Will be made available to you guys on ClodTalk first. They work great with original motors. Will not handle modified motor. I have tried them out in my High Roller. These MRP High Roller are to cool.... :D
Last edited by old_rc_lover on Wed Mar 30, 2011 2:31 am, edited 1 time in total.

old_rc_lover
Approved Member

Post by old_rc_lover » Mon Apr 11, 2011 2:34 am

I am finally getting the speed controls together. Since I am making theace27 one, I decided to make 3 extra. Just waiting on the reverse resistors then I will be wiring them up. Let me know if any one else is interested.
DSC01153.JPG
DSC01153.JPG (132.69 KiB) Viewed 2003 times

old_rc_lover
Approved Member

Post by old_rc_lover » Fri Jun 17, 2011 2:57 pm

Another High roller up for sale on the Bay. This one has been up there quite often. To bad they dyed the parts, but still a good truck.
Picture0002.jpg
Picture0002.jpg (38.87 KiB) Viewed 1809 times

old_rc_lover
Approved Member

Post by old_rc_lover » Sun Jul 17, 2011 12:44 am

I finally finished the speed controls for the Highroller. I built 4. 1 is spoken for, but I will sell the rest to any one who wants one. 35.00 each. That is just what I have in parts to build each one. I tested all of them and they work excellently. Let me know.
DSC01301.JPG
DSC01301.JPG (142.46 KiB) Viewed 1744 times