The Clodtalk High Roller Thread

Although not considered a traditional monster truck, they still have monster coolness.
Want to see your truck featured on the home page? Enter our monthly contest in the general discussion section!
Forum rules
Want to see your truck featured on the home page? Enter our monthly contest in the general discussion section!
Lowgear
Administrator

The Clodtalk High Roller Thread

Post by Lowgear » Sun Mar 15, 2009 6:58 am

This is an abridged and edited version of another thread.
It's purpose is to share info on the rare and largely unknown MRP High Roller.

-The Clodtalk Admin

I had one for a couple years. It was a shelf queen due to the fact that the transmissions in them are rather fragile and it was the rare white plastic version. It was in pretty mint shape and had all the original electronics in it. I ended up selling it for around 500 bucks!

I deleted all the pics I had of it except for one. This one was from the auction I bought it from. I think I paid 200. So it ended up being a nice little turnaround.

Leadsledcaprice

Re: MRP HIGH ROLLER

Post by Leadsledcaprice » Sun Mar 15, 2009 8:58 am

Precursor to the Clod? Who made it?
Load it like a freight car and drive it like a NASCAR
Flatbedder's do it better with straps and chains!

Lowgear
Administrator

Post by Lowgear » Sun Mar 15, 2009 3:10 pm

It was made by MRP.

I guess you could call it a precursor to the clod but I forget which one came out first. The High Roller was 4wd/4ws but had independent suspension. Its whole claim to fame that set it apart from the rest was that it was designed to float/drive in water! The tires were air and water tight, and it had a plastic tub on top of aluminum frame rails that was like a tupperware container with the body acting as a lid. MRP was a manufacturer of r/c boats which is most likely what made them decide to make a monster truck that was amphibious.

They came in two versions. One with white molded pieces and another with black. The black was the most common.

There was a member on here who went by the username theace27. He was big into them and we talked a lot about 'em. I searched for his posts on here and I found two where he posted pics of his High Rollers. :D

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=9175&start=0

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=13916&start=0
Last edited by Lowgear on Sun Mar 15, 2009 3:33 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Leadsledcaprice

Post by Leadsledcaprice » Sun Mar 15, 2009 3:19 pm

First time I've ever seen one. Cool though!
Load it like a freight car and drive it like a NASCAR
Flatbedder's do it better with straps and chains!

77chevy4x4

Post by 77chevy4x4 » Mon Apr 06, 2009 12:12 am

i remember the the ads in the old car action magazine
nothing is impassable

Lowgear
Administrator

Post by Lowgear » Tue Apr 07, 2009 10:02 am

MRP also made a 2wd puller. It used the same rear tires and had a car body. If I remember right its called the Dragin' Master.

jwrape
Approved Member

Post by jwrape » Fri Apr 10, 2009 12:55 pm

I've had two so far. I had one when I was a teenager and it ended up stripping the tranny and becoming a donor for parts.

The second I had until a year ago when I sold it Ebay to help me buy a 1:1 car. It was in perfect condition but missing the tub top and the body was trashed.
I ended up replacing the stock dogbones for Traxxas drive shafts and it worked better but I was still scared of the tranny stripping so I on ran it on the bench and never outside.

I got my last one in a lot off Ebay with a Blizzard EV, a HotShot, a Cat 4x4 buggy and some other cars all for $40+ shipping. It was a steel. i hated to get rid of any of it but it funded other projects.

The Evil Fragile White plastic geared Tranny
Here is some pics of another I found on the net
and another
Here is that Tub top that is rare to have anymore
Thorp Big Brute,JrX10 (RC10 and JrX2 combined), 26.5" Nitro Swamp buggy, TLT/Emaxx Hybrid, 2 TLT Custom Scale Jeeps, 1 TLT Unimog, Blackfoot, Grasshopper w/black`foot conversion, 1/6 Jeep TJ & Misc. Vintage Sears RC

Lowgear
Administrator

Post by Lowgear » Thu Oct 15, 2009 9:43 am

That one ended up selling for close to $500 which was waaay too much. I sold mine for around the same price and it was in near mint condition.

Heres a picture of a NIB one I saved off of eBay a little while ago. I was shocked when I saw it because nobody i've talked to has ever seen one. The general consensus seemed to be that there were no NIB ones left.

TamiyaTony
Approved Member

Post by TamiyaTony » Fri Oct 16, 2009 7:20 pm

Weren't the High Rollers notorious for being overly complex? The drive train, I mean.
My son... ask for thyself another kingdom... for that which I leave is too small for thee.

MT TRUCKER14
Banned Member

Post by MT TRUCKER14 » Sat Oct 17, 2009 2:59 pm

Not really?? The truck was too slow. :( The instructions were poor. So it was not a good beginner kit. More for the eperienced builder. Too many mistakes and inacurate information can get you fustrated. :?

TamiyaTony
Approved Member

Post by TamiyaTony » Sat Oct 17, 2009 4:39 pm

Even though, I always thought of the High Roller in high regards. It was one of those specialty trucks that only a few would enjoy. At the time I was impressed at how realistic it was. Plus it was tall! There was an article in an old R/C Car Action mag that tested it out and I think it had the white chassis and diffs. Would be nice if I still have the mag somewhere.
My son... ask for thyself another kingdom... for that which I leave is too small for thee.

MT TRUCKER14
Banned Member

Post by MT TRUCKER14 » Mon Oct 19, 2009 1:30 pm

Their were actually three articles on the truck I have two. MAY 88 and JAN 89. I missed the first one. :( I have the black chassis. So the instructions don't heip much. Too many changes which I now have those updates too. But still too many things wrong. :?

NOUSEFORANAME
Approved Member

Post by NOUSEFORANAME » Sat Oct 31, 2009 2:19 am

I have the 1988 RCCA Yearbook where they had the the Monster Truck shootout :D

It included the Clodbuster, High Roller, Big Brute, Monster Beetle, Bruiser, Midnight Pumpkin, Lunch Box, Blackfoot, and Big Bear.

(The High Roller was the white plastic suspension version)

They had a truck pull

Clodbuster won the pull 41 lbs 13.66 ft :partyman:
Bruiser was 2nd with 41 lbs 11.33
High Roller was 3rd with 30 lbs 13.33 ft

They did run time tests (1200 mah battery)

High Roller had the longest run time @ 19.25 min
Lunchbox was 2nd @ 14.77 min
Midnight Pumpkin was 3rd @ 14.55 min
Clod was 4th @ 13.07 min

I scanned a couple pics

TamiyaTony
Approved Member

Post by TamiyaTony » Sat Oct 31, 2009 4:02 am

Yes!!!!!! I remember that competition. THAT is how I remember the High Roller. That exact color scheme. Brings tears to thyne eyes. Thanks for posting the mag pics. The restored Roller looks killer too! I will have new photos of my Clod soon as well.

MT TRUCKER14
Banned Member

Post by MT TRUCKER14 » Sat Oct 31, 2009 2:17 pm

Im not getting the duraration as stated in RCCA. :( Im using a 1500 mah and Im only getting 12 min. :( I think I may be going faster. I tried a 2500 mah and get 25 min. :?: