Enter, Brushless MGT

Although not considered a traditional monster truck, they still have monster coolness.
Want to see your truck featured on the home page? Enter our monthly contest in the general discussion section!
Forum rules
Want to see your truck featured on the home page? Enter our monthly contest in the general discussion section!
Supreme Reign
Approved Member

Re: Enter, Brushless MGT

Post by Supreme Reign » Sun Oct 27, 2013 4:09 am

Guess who has another MGT coming :D. I traded a Castle Sidewinder 4600kv Combo for it. It has aluminum knuckles, aluminum a-arm mounts, aluminum shock tops, and aluminum body mounts. Forward only trans conversion. Radio and receiver included.
Last edited by Supreme Reign on Tue Dec 15, 2015 4:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
Destiny..You cannot destroy my destiny!

SFC K
Administrator

Post by SFC K » Sun Oct 27, 2013 4:23 am

I think someone has a MGT addiction! I think you got a really great trade on that!
Jeff

Supreme Reign
Approved Member

Post by Supreme Reign » Mon Oct 28, 2013 1:13 pm

SFC K wrote:I think someone has a MGT addiction! I think you got a really great trade on that!
This is my last one. I swear :lol: . That Sidewinder combo just sat here, and he was looking to get a Wraith, so he needed a power plant. I'm thinking I might do a baja truck with this one.

andymac0035
Administrator

Post by andymac0035 » Mon Oct 28, 2013 4:38 pm

Supreme Reign wrote:
SFC K wrote:I think someone has a MGT addiction!
This is my last one. I swear :lol:
...... :mrgreen: :rofl:
[youtube]zg0xBjegI7A[/youtube]

Supreme Reign
Approved Member

Post by Supreme Reign » Fri Nov 01, 2013 12:37 am

My truck came in todayImage!! I feel like I made out like a bandit. I think I might just buy a motor mount finish this truck up first. It's got all the goodies I was going to buy. All I need now are aluminum front+rear gear boxes. The front and rear shock towers are both GPM. I may get those reanodized in blue to match the rest of the blue parts. He mentioned aluminium steering knuckles, but I did not expect to find 4 of them.

Surprise!! Surprise!!(Gomer Pyle voice) He never mentioned the aluminium steering kit($60) \:D/ !!
Last edited by Supreme Reign on Tue Dec 15, 2015 4:53 am, edited 1 time in total.

SFC K
Administrator

Post by SFC K » Fri Nov 01, 2013 1:57 am

Looks great and you got some nice parts on it. So is this one going to stay nitro or be converted?
Jeff

Supreme Reign
Approved Member

Post by Supreme Reign » Fri Nov 01, 2013 2:29 am

SFC K wrote:Looks great and you got some nice parts on it. So is this one going to stay nitro or be converted?
Thanks. This will be my new brushless project, since it's got almost every hop-up. Not a fan of nitro, but they have the best platforms.

Supreme Reign
Approved Member

Post by Supreme Reign » Sat Nov 23, 2013 2:14 am

I got some parts that came in this week =D> . I got the Savage Flux cup joints(86082) mounted up to the E-Maxx tranny. The Savage cup joints are 6mm.

Top to bottom: MGT rear, MGT front, Savage front, Savage rear, Madforce/Inferno ST.

I was going to go with the Savage front driveshaft(HPI 86151) in back, but it's actually the same legnth(77mm) as the MGT rear CVA, so I kept the MGT CVA. Specs will tell you that the MGT CVA is 94mm, but they are measuring the entire unit, and not just the dogbone. I used the 114mm Madforce/Inferno ST driveshaft(MA024) up front.

I test fitted the Castle 1515 2200kv motor and there's plenty of clearance. Now I just need a 150A ESC and figure how to mount the batteries. I don't know if I should go dual 2S or save the money for a 4S brick. I'm afraid to spend the money on a Castle Mamba Monster, because they like to go poof.

I even managed to pass my preliminary inspection. Kitty Approved!!
Last edited by Supreme Reign on Tue Dec 15, 2015 5:02 am, edited 1 time in total.

SFC K
Administrator

Post by SFC K » Sat Nov 23, 2013 2:28 am

Nice work! I can't wait to see this thing turn those wheels!

I see the frame bottom has the same rock rash as mine. It takes a lot to do that. Man, I have always loved these trucks. Probably why I will never get rid of mine. :wink: It looks like you are now a fan. :)
Jeff

andymac0035
Administrator

Post by andymac0035 » Sat Nov 23, 2013 5:54 am

I would use a pair of 2S batts, one on each side to keep things balanced.

I've never had a mamba monster go poof on me. Both mine were V3's though, and I know that was the good series. What I never liked about them was how easily dirt got inside both the esc, as well as jamming up the fan... and usually that would cause it to burn it up too (the fan). I'd always have to check on that, and open the case to clean things out. I would never want another one because of that.

The esc I've been eye-balling for if I ever do another build like this is the hobbywing WP SC8.

Supreme Reign
Approved Member

Post by Supreme Reign » Sun Dec 22, 2013 11:49 pm

SFC K wrote:Man, I have always loved these trucks. Probably why I will never get rid of mine. :wink: It looks like you are now a fan. :)
I'm definately not getting rid of this one. They are impressive and built stout.
andymac0035 wrote:I would use a pair of 2S batts, one on each side to keep things balanced.
Unfortunately, not enough room for a side-by-side layout.

I got my batter trays installed. It clears the motor in front by a little more than 1/4". The ESC will probably sit up front on the left side of the chassis. I should be running this thing, but I cheaped out on the bullet connectors, and it turns out the 6.5mm was the measurement of the entire casing, not the connectors. Lesson learned. I'll get Castle connectors from now on.

Here is a Wheely King in the middle to show the size difference.
Last edited by Supreme Reign on Tue Dec 15, 2015 5:08 am, edited 1 time in total.

andymac0035
Administrator

Post by andymac0035 » Wed Feb 12, 2014 6:42 am

Any updates on this? :?:

Gunder463

Post by Gunder463 » Wed Feb 12, 2014 11:33 pm

get a castle esc there good about warrantys, if it goes poof. also nice battery set up, looks well balanced,

Supreme Reign
Approved Member

Post by Supreme Reign » Sat Sep 19, 2015 11:54 pm

Well, the Mad Forces will just have to wait. I used the money to get an ESC for my MGT. I got the Hobbywing QUICRUN 150A ESC. Now I just need to switch to 6.5mm Castle connectors for the motor. I hate soldering.

It's much bigger than the Hobbywing EZRun SC8 (on the right).

SFC K
Administrator

Post by SFC K » Sun Sep 20, 2015 1:18 am

Glad to see this project did not die. That ESC is huge and I hear you on the soldering. :(
Jeff