Kyosho USA-1 - Shelf Queen or get it running?

Although not considered a traditional monster truck, they still have monster coolness.
Want to see your truck featured on the home page? Enter our monthly contest in the general discussion section!
Forum rules
Want to see your truck featured on the home page? Enter our monthly contest in the general discussion section!
Sixtys Guy
Approved Member

Kyosho USA-1 - Shelf Queen or get it running?

Post by Sixtys Guy » Fri Sep 27, 2013 1:06 am

After opinions..... About 6 months ago I bought a USA-1. I sat it on the shelf and haven't touched it since. Last night I got it out, put a battery in it and tried to drive it. It would only steer to one side and once I checked I found that the servo saver was shot. So I get out a high torque metal geared servo from my kit as well as a Kimbrough 124 servo saver and fixed it up. I ran it again and found that the rear motor is hardly working and one of the front drive shafts is clicking. So I start googling and find that the answer to the drive shafts is rare Thorp gear that I could only find on Ebay. The axles and outdrives are going to cost over $120 and I haven't found dog bones yet. Then I start looking at bearing sets and pondering what to do with the motors.......

Then it dawns on me... is this even worth it? Why not sit it back on the shelf and look at it? To get it running (properly) I am likely looking at $200 or therabouts. I only really wanted to run it on the driveway anyway - no jumps etc, and then it will just sit on the shelf anyway (I have 7 other Monster Trucks). I can replace the motors with silver cans, but it seems a shame to remove the pink stickered Mega Motors. I am also aware that the Thorp gear won't be around forever - if I don't buy it now I may never be able to buy them in the future.

I can't decide whether to just leave it or keep going (and open up a can of worms -and my wallet!)

andymac0035
Administrator

Re: Kyosho USA-1 - Shelf Queen or get it running?

Post by andymac0035 » Fri Sep 27, 2013 1:24 am

I would sell it....if that's not an option....shelf it. (I don't do shelfers)

Nathan
Approved Member

Post by Nathan » Fri Sep 27, 2013 4:00 am

I'd fix it. Thats a hard truck to find these days. I'd by the harder to find parts as they come up and leave the easier stuff to when your wallet is feeling generous. Or just send it to me...

vwjuice
Approved Member

Post by vwjuice » Fri Sep 27, 2013 4:25 am

I would get the Thorp stuff and anything else that you find. They were great trucks years ago and just needed some work to be awesome. It would be fun to have it running along with an old clod like you would've seen years ago.

If not then I'd sell it. You probably won't get a whole lot for it the way it sits. Maybe $100-$125, but if it was me I would fix it.
SFC K is my hero!
All bow down before the great terminator-smilie!

Halgar
Administrator

Post by Halgar » Fri Sep 27, 2013 5:25 am

It really depends on your personal preference, and how you like to keep your RCs.

If you are a collector, then it doesn't matter what it costs to restore it, and most collectors like their collection to be operable, whether they run them or not.

If you're a runner and not a collector, then you have to weigh the cost of getting this thing running, against its overall value to you. Then you have to decide if you get it running, and you can't get parts, is it worth running, which puts you back to the shelf queen question.

For what it's worth, I've got the same dilemma with a HiLux.
I used to think I was indecisive, but now I'm not so sure.

Sixtys Guy
Approved Member

Post by Sixtys Guy » Fri Sep 27, 2013 5:41 am

vwjuice wrote:It would be fun to have it running along with an old clod like you would've seen years ago.
Yep, this is what keeps me thinking about it!
Halgar wrote:If you are a collector, then it doesn't matter what it costs to restore it, and most collectors like their collection to be operable, whether they run them or not.

If you're a runner and not a collector, then you have to weigh the cost of getting this thing running, against its overall value to you. Then you have to decide if you get it running, and you can't get parts, is it worth running, which puts you back to the shelf queen question.

For what it's worth, I've got the same dilemma with a HiLux.
These are the exact thoughts I have!
Nathan wrote:I'd fix it. Thats a hard truck to find these days. I'd by the harder to find parts as they come up and leave the easier stuff to when your wallet is feeling generous. Or just send it to me...
Great advice..... except for sending it to you! This is probably what I will end up doing.

Thanks for the replies. I'm not going to sell it, because even sitting it on the shelf I reckon it's a cool thing to own. It would be more of a 'I'll get it on the driveway and drive it around every now and then when I feel like it' kind of thing. Maybe that means I'm a collector!

vwjuice
Approved Member

Post by vwjuice » Fri Sep 27, 2013 8:22 pm

Halgar wrote: For what it's worth, I've got the same dilemma with a HiLux.
What's the dilemma here?????? It's a Hilux. You could restore it and still get your money back. Plus they will always be cool. :mrgreen:
SFC K is my hero!

vwjuice
Approved Member

Post by vwjuice » Fri Sep 27, 2013 8:25 pm

What I would love too see is a modified Usa-1 with all the sassy chassis and thorp parts that were available against a Clod with either a Zilla 2 or Sassy chassis. Those two would be fun to have competitions with.

You could fix the Usa-1 and then take it too the RCMT world Finals and beat everyone on the track. :lol:
SFC K is my hero!

Halgar
Administrator

Post by Halgar » Fri Sep 27, 2013 8:40 pm

vwjuice wrote:
What's the dilemma here?????? It's a Hilux. You could restore it and still get your money back. Plus they will always be cool. :mrgreen:
True, but I'm not rich like you are. :mrgreen:

GRAVETXT-1

Post by GRAVETXT-1 » Fri Sep 27, 2013 8:46 pm

Restore it for sure will be satisfying for you and over time you will make your money back running examples will only get more rare over time.

Can you post some pictures I would love to see the truck :)
Alex

Grim Reaper, Valhalla, Ford Of The Dead, Kings Bounty, Gauntlet, Gauntlet # 2, Clawing Dead, Tech Noir

vwjuice
Approved Member

Post by vwjuice » Fri Sep 27, 2013 9:06 pm

Halgar wrote:
vwjuice wrote:
True, but I'm not rich like you are. :mrgreen:
Ha. I wish!!
SFC K is my hero!

Sixtys Guy
Approved Member

Post by Sixtys Guy » Fri Sep 27, 2013 9:41 pm

GRAVETXT-1 wrote:Restore it for sure will be satisfying for you and over time you will make your money back running examples will only get more rare over time.

Can you post some pictures I would love to see the truck :)
This is where I am heading I think........

vwjuice
Approved Member

Post by vwjuice » Fri Sep 27, 2013 10:09 pm

That's a sweet truck.
SFC K is my hero!

charliechristmas58
Approved Member

Post by charliechristmas58 » Sat Sep 28, 2013 12:28 am

I would take a bat and beat it untill nothing was left and make a video of it just to piss off some people .thats what i would do =D> =D>
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming to the Lord,
"Wow, What a ride!"

Halgar
Administrator

Post by Halgar » Sat Sep 28, 2013 5:09 am

You mean like RCCA did a while back with a HiLux? They said they stripped the axles and goodies before lighting a match, but you wouldn't believe the pissed off readership for them having torched a truck. It was a nice truck too, no reason to burn it other than to piss people off.