My BFX (Clod-foot)

Although not considered a traditional monster truck, they still have monster coolness.
Want to see your truck featured on the home page? Enter our monthly contest in the general discussion section!
Forum rules
Want to see your truck featured on the home page? Enter our monthly contest in the general discussion section!
Fermentor
Approved Member

My BFX (Clod-foot)

Post by Fermentor » Mon Sep 16, 2013 11:50 am

I made a thread for this on the URC forums, but i thought i'd make a post here for it too since i lurk these forums more often.

My BFX had been sitting on a shelf for a long time, collecting dust, when i decided to pick it up and start using it again. i mocked up an unused clod body i had lying around and ordered some upgrades, and here's how it stands today

Note that these pics are from a while ago, the truck still looks pretty much the same now, with the exception of the shocks (get to that in a moment).

But enough rambling, PICS!:

Mods include:
Duratrax intellispeed ESC with a 15t Firebolt and a cheap Tower hobbies Rx
CPE metal geared servo (probably overkill :twisted:)
Ofna blue servo saver
TXT-1 servo mounts (cut down to fit)
Full ball bearings
Tamiya hop up battery quick release
G-made GT beadlock rims with HPI wheely king tires and RC4WD wideners
And not pictured, G-made 75mm XD diaphragm shocks

The paintwork is beyond horrible (only me to blame, lol), there's play everywhere in the suspension, at least one or two screws are discovered nearly backed out after every run aannddd it faintly smells of mango after running over a rotten one two, three.. in the yard.....

..but i love it, it's a blast to tear around, it makes me smile.... even when i see it behind me on the work bench, down for the count after losing a knuckle kingpin

vwjuice
Approved Member

Re: My BFX (Clod-foot)

Post by vwjuice » Mon Sep 16, 2013 1:44 pm

I like the extremes. My old black foots sit in the shed since they're too fragile for today's power systems.

Do you have the front diff installed as well or just running 2wd?
SFC K is my hero!
All bow down before the great terminator-smilie!

Fermentor
Approved Member

Post by Fermentor » Tue Sep 17, 2013 1:20 am

It's still 2WD, i'm probably going to keep it that way and save the 4WD stuff for the clod and txt

And ditto about it being fragile, the 15t firebolt might be too much for it in the long run, but i'll manage. i'll just need to learn the all powerful art of driving carefully :lol:

Sixtys Guy
Approved Member

Post by Sixtys Guy » Tue Sep 17, 2013 3:15 am

Sweet!

I found some aternate dog bones and steering rods that may be of interest to you....... I have them, but haven't got around to fitting them. I will let you know if they work out ok.

vwjuice
Approved Member

Post by vwjuice » Tue Sep 17, 2013 3:53 am

I have Original Blackfoots with the old funky rear trailing arms. Those are so fragile that I have yet to ever drain a battery pack without breaking one. That's why they haven't been driven in about five years. :lol:
SFC K is my hero!
All bow down before the great terminator-smilie!

Fermentor
Approved Member

Post by Fermentor » Tue Sep 17, 2013 5:01 am

Sixtys Guy wrote:Sweet!

I found some aternate dog bones and steering rods that may be of interest to you....... I have them, but haven't got around to fitting them. I will let you know if they work out ok.
Awesome dude!

I've been considering upgrading most of the suspension components to turnbuckles (especially the upper arms, real flimsy things), and getting aluminum c-hubs and knuckles like your WD. i've been having problems with the right front knuckle kingpins not being able to be fully screwed in and stay in place, hence the fact that it's currently "in the garage" so to speak.

Having aluminum parts might mean that i could just use threadlock for a little bit of insurance.

Sixtys Guy
Approved Member

Post by Sixtys Guy » Tue Sep 17, 2013 5:24 am

I'm waiting on the upper and lower arms to arrive.... should be here this week.

How are your dog bones holding up to a Firebolt? I broke another CVD, this time with stock motors and the MJ tyres. They really are junk.

Fermentor
Approved Member

Post by Fermentor » Tue Sep 17, 2013 6:20 am

I haven't noticed any problems with them, then again, i only really ran it with the firebolt a total of, i think, three times, so i'm probably not going to see any major problems yet..

I'm still going to swap to those Ofna dogbones you linked to me once they get back in stock at tower, though

Sixtys Guy
Approved Member

Post by Sixtys Guy » Tue Sep 17, 2013 9:42 am

I must have bought the last two sets at Tower Hobbies :wink: Only ordered them two days ago.......

I gave these dog bones a run after work tonight; Redcat (or HSP) #08060. They are 3.6mm in diamter as opposed to 3.2mm for the stock ones. They are also 1mm longer than stock. I thought for the price they would be worth a try. They are on Ebay for only $3 a pair from China. One did pop out of the front drive cup once while I was driving it. I believe this is an issue with the aluminium knuckles. I noticed that according to the instruction manual O rings should be placed in the drive cups before the dog bones go in. Mine don't have these, so i wonder of that could contribute to the dog bone coming out.

I also got these steering rods; HBX (or Haiboxing) #SC1. I haven't tried them yet, but they are much thicker than stock.

Lastly, these battery holder ends; HBX (or Haiboxing) #C4. These are adjustable, so great for running longer batteries.

Also check this link. The tires, raised shock mounts and upper arms look good on this model; http://www.ehirobo.com/shop/RC-Cars/c25 ... _info.html

silverbullet24
Approved Member

Post by silverbullet24 » Tue Sep 17, 2013 10:57 pm

thats a nice blackfoot I had one here is a pic
Attachments
005.jpg
005.jpg (66.24 KiB) Viewed 1959 times

Sixtys Guy
Approved Member

Post by Sixtys Guy » Tue Sep 17, 2013 11:03 pm

Looks good! How do your dog bones hold up with those tyres?

silverbullet24
Approved Member

Post by silverbullet24 » Wed Sep 18, 2013 9:05 pm

they held up good but the one gear in the trans didnt it broke all the time

Fermentor
Approved Member

Post by Fermentor » Wed Jan 01, 2014 4:47 am

Picture-less end of the year update to just say that i got and installed GPM alloy knuckles and c-hubs for the front today, before that i installed OFNA dogbones in the rear.

Everything worked fine with the GPM parts. i even put in bearings that were, conveniently, the same size as the bushings included with the kit. it seems to have eliminated most of the play in the front which is a plus, i plan on upgrading the lower arms with GPM ones and getting turnbuckle links for the upper arms eventually.

Had an issue with the OFNA dogbones, though. they went in fine, but after putting everything back together i noticed some slight binding in the driveline. i remedied this by installing an extra piston into each shock, lowering the height and lessening the angle of the dogbone.

With the broken front c-hubs and loose kingpins hopefully fixed i should be able run this again early in the new year!..

:popcorn:

Sixtys Guy
Approved Member

Post by Sixtys Guy » Sun Jan 05, 2014 5:04 am

Nice one! Any issues with the front dog bones dropping out on hard lock?

Fermentor
Approved Member

Post by Fermentor » Mon Jan 06, 2014 12:04 am

It's still 2WD, but i did notice an increase in steering range