My Wild Dagger

Although not considered a traditional monster truck, they still have monster coolness.
Want to see your truck featured on the home page? Enter our monthly contest in the general discussion section!
Forum rules
Want to see your truck featured on the home page? Enter our monthly contest in the general discussion section!
Fermentor
Approved Member

Re: My Wild Dagger

Post by Fermentor » Mon Sep 02, 2013 11:24 am

+1 on the nice fix, need to do that to mine when i get the chance.. would TXT servo blocks work?

Sixtys Guy
Approved Member

Post by Sixtys Guy » Mon Sep 02, 2013 12:04 pm

That was my first thought as well, but the TXT blocks are a little long. The ones I used are Junfac items which are actually a little short, which allows for the brace to be sandwiched between the servo and the chassis.

Fermentor
Approved Member

Post by Fermentor » Wed Sep 04, 2013 5:44 am

I managed to fit TXT servo mounts in mine yesterday, here's a pic:

I cut them down until they were the same size as the stock mounts; the servo is in there pretty stiff

Sixtys Guy
Approved Member

Post by Sixtys Guy » Wed Sep 04, 2013 10:12 pm

Nice work! I actually ordered some aluminium TXT servo mounts off ebay (they were cheap), but then realised I could make it stronger with parts that I already had. Funnily enough the servo mounts that I used, I actually bought for the TXT, but they weren't long enough.

I'm waiting for my bearing set to turn up so I can it them and make the rear diff 'limited slip' while I am at it. I think my wheels, tyres and body are a couple of weeks away #-o

Sixtys Guy
Approved Member

Post by Sixtys Guy » Wed Sep 11, 2013 9:58 am

Got a fair bit more done to the Dagger in the last few days.....

I installed bearings throughout and while I was at it I made the diffs 'limited slip'. Forgot to take photos, but followed the instructions here.

I also put on some alumimiun hubs and knuckles to make the steering a little stronger. CVD's in the front as well. All of these are 'RC Damper' brand on Ebay.

Put on the Traxxas 'Captain's Curse' body and the MJ wheels. Amazingly the body mounts match!!! =D> Well, sort of..... I swapped the front and back mounts around and then turned the 'new' front mounts backwards. Then they lined up perfectly! I used the MJ front wheels. They didn't have as much offset as I thought they would, so I had to install my Junfac wheel wideners. As luck would have it I already had them and they fit perfectly!

Pretty happy with how it turned out......

I also picked up a couple of 2S 4000mah Lipos off Hobbyking. They only cost $13.50. I had to make them fit as they were smaller than the battery compartment. I used some adhesive backed high density foam. I replaced the Tamiya 106BK esc for an XL5 esc that I picked up off ebay.

On the first run I lost a rear dog bone when one of the screws backed out one of the suspension arms. Then the inevitable happened...... I put Clod tyres on....... and then broke a CVD. I had read that they were weak but when I saw where it had broken, they are ridiculously weak. I ordered some stronger replacement dog bones from Tower Hobbies. I also ordered some cheaper (Redcat / HSP) dog bones on Ebay. They are the same length but a bit thicker, so I will see how they go.

And because I have a tyre fetish.....!
Clod, GP, TXT-2, MJ, WD, Midnight Pumpkin

Fermentor
Approved Member

Post by Fermentor » Wed Sep 11, 2013 11:53 am

Excellent! i like the new look

Did the aluminum components get rid of all of the play in the suspension? i know i have some play issues with the knuckles on my BFX. i thought about getting those RC-damper upgrades... certainly not the CVDs anymore, though :|

Also, could you give a link to where those replacement dogbones are on Tower hobbies?

Sixtys Guy
Approved Member

Post by Sixtys Guy » Wed Sep 11, 2013 12:03 pm

Thanks!

I would say that the aluminium parts have helped somewhat, but the proper mounting of the servo has made the biggest difference.

These dog bones apparently fit fine and are a larger diameter compared to stock (4mm vs 3.2mm) - http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wt ... LXCAL5&P=7

The cvd's really are a joke, the pin that snapped is 1.5mm - dont bother with these!

I also have a set of steering rods on order that look stronger. If they work out I'll post them up here.

vwjuice
Approved Member

Post by vwjuice » Wed Sep 11, 2013 1:06 pm

I like the captains curse body. Too bad it's not available clear.
SFC K is my hero!
All bow down before the great terminator-smilie!

Sixtys Guy
Approved Member

Post by Sixtys Guy » Sun Oct 06, 2013 9:56 am

Have been playing around a bit more with the Wild Dagger over the last week. I changed teh front shock springs to stock Wraith springs. I kept the red Maxx springs on the rear.

I bought a few bits and pieces;
Tamiya Sport Tuned Motors - I nicked the 19T motors for the Clod. I like the speed that these give.

HBX SC1 Steering turnbuckles - these are beefier than the originals and make steering adjustments a cinch. I got them off Ebay.

HBX MB1 Step screws - these are the king pins. I had lost one. On the remote chance I checked my LHS. They had a pack of 16 in their discount parts bin for $3. Score!

HSP 08060 Dog Bones - AKA Redcat. These are 1mm longer than standard and 3.6mm thick vs 3.2mm stock.

Ofna Evo Dog Bones - Got these from Tower. These are 4mm thicj and 3mm longer than stock. Unfortunately this extra length means that they won't work in the frontas the kuckle is able to turn. Great for the rear, but not much use for me (read on......)

RC Damper Aluminium upper and lower aluminium arms. - got these off Ebay as well. I didn't use the pins and e-clips they came with because I could see me losing them fairly easily. I used 3mm ss hex head bolts and nylock nuts.

I already have aluminium C hubs and knuckles. Im not a massive fan of these. The knuckles are great on one hand because they all locktite to be added so you don't lose the step screws. On the downside they allow too much steering action and they allow the dog bones to fall out.

Once I installed the new alumium arms I had a bright idea.... convert to 4ws. I now had all of the components to do this. I had a spare metal geared servo, Kimbrough 124 servo saver, Servo Y harness, Junfac servo posts, a servo mount brace, two spare steering turnbuckles and a packet of step screws. The only things I didn't have was ball studs and steering rod ends. I went through my Clod Buster spares box and got these two items. I now had all that I needed. This would alleviate my problem of spitting dog bones as I could dial out the steering action seeing as though I would now be steering with the front and back.

Now for pics..........

Front;

Rear;

Aluminium knuckle - see the scalloped out sections allowing tighter turning radius (not a good thing in this case)

Stock Knuckle;

Poser shots;

Action shot;

SFC K
Administrator

Post by SFC K » Sun Oct 06, 2013 2:10 pm

Boy this truck sure has evolved! Nice action shot!
Jeff

vwjuice
Approved Member

Post by vwjuice » Thu Oct 10, 2013 2:55 am

That thing looks sweet in the last pics. It definitely looks a lot meaner now.
SFC K is my hero!
All bow down before the great terminator-smilie!

Scott M
Approved Member

Post by Scott M » Sat Oct 26, 2013 3:45 am

Nice truck it looks good

Sixtys Guy
Approved Member

Post by Sixtys Guy » Mon Dec 09, 2013 6:18 am

I couldn't help myself..... I just like big tyres! I made up a set of EQR wheels from some front MJ wheels and a set of original clod wheels. The clod wheels came off a project truck that I bought. One of the wheels was broken, but I could salvage the good half. They were painted yellow... I was going to paint them silver, but I kind of like the yellow! I think I will keep the truck like this now. It just seems much cooler with the big wheels. I also reaplced the junk Wraith shocks with some Associated shocks. I used red springs off Maxx shocks and added the largest pre load spacer. Handles much better now.

andymac0035
Administrator

Post by andymac0035 » Mon Dec 09, 2013 6:44 am

I bet your going to get more than a few double-takes with that truck. Nice transformation! :thumbsup:

Sixtys Guy
Approved Member

Post by Sixtys Guy » Mon Dec 09, 2013 9:27 am

Thanks Andy! I love this little truck. I think it is partly because I know that no one else has one!