My Wild Dagger

Although not considered a traditional monster truck, they still have monster coolness.
Want to see your truck featured on the home page? Enter our monthly contest in the general discussion section!
Forum rules
Want to see your truck featured on the home page? Enter our monthly contest in the general discussion section!
Sixtys Guy
Approved Member

My Wild Dagger

Post by Sixtys Guy » Fri Aug 30, 2013 12:01 pm

I've been searching Ebay for a while now for a Wild Dagger (or other version) and finally picked one up a week or two ago for $65 - bargain! I was a little unsure abut what exactly I wanted it to be, and found some good ideas on the net.

Here it is when I bought it.

Initially I was taken with how similar the chassis is to a Kyosho USA-1.

I found some inspiration here; http://www.tamiyaclub.com/forum/index.p ... 537&page=7

So I decided to see how it would go as a Monster.

The answer was not very good. The steering was all over the place and I decided that I already have enough Clod tire sized monsters. I have come up with another plan and as the parts arrive I will update the thread.

I have pretty much run it stock thus far, although I changed the esc to the Tamiya 106BK and a couple of Venom brushed 21T Double motors. The speed is quite decent with this setup. It's a blast to drive and something different from my 'real' monsters. Lipo conversion is not completely straight forward as the battery compartment holds a 7.2 Nimh perfectly. I have found a compact 2S 4000mah lipo on Hobbyking that will fit ith some foam packing. I also replaced the body with a Quannum Skull Crusher body that I had. I think it fits a lot better than stock.

In the mean time I put in extended shock towers and some Wraith shocks that I had laying around. I put some Maxx springs on the shocks as well. The stance is quite a bit higher now.

Updates to follow once the postman delivers my orders!

SFC K
Administrator

Re: My Wild Dagger

Post by SFC K » Fri Aug 30, 2013 1:30 pm

Cool truck! I like the clod size wheels on but it seems that and you said it too that the steering is not to be desired. The stock wheels look good but maybe try some WK tire wheel combos? It could get you the in-between the stock look and monster look. :D

I do like the stock body better though too.
Jeff

andymac0035
Administrator

Post by andymac0035 » Fri Aug 30, 2013 4:16 pm

I like that (a lot). :thumbsup:

I can't help but wonder how much power you could throw at one of those if you stayed with stock-sized tires. :?: :idea: :twisted:

vwjuice
Approved Member

Post by vwjuice » Fri Aug 30, 2013 7:21 pm

I've been looking into one of these for my kids.
I've noticed two things.

1. Search eBay and you'll find tons of aluminim option parts including steering parts. Might help with the steering.

2. I was thinking that maybe stampede wheels & tires would be a good fit. Especially the tires from the monster jam series. They are slightly smaller than the 2.8 so try would look good and not affect the steering too much.
SFC K is my hero!
All bow down before the great terminator-smilie!

Sixtys Guy
Approved Member

Post by Sixtys Guy » Fri Aug 30, 2013 9:23 pm

vwjuice wrote:I've been looking into one of these for my kids.
I've noticed two things.

1. Search eBay and you'll find tons of aluminim option parts including steering parts. Might help with the steering.

2. I was thinking that maybe stampede wheels & tires would be a good fit. Especially the tires from the monster jam series. They are slightly smaller than the 2.8 so try would look good and not affect the steering too much.
Right on! Im waiting on both of the above to arrive!

Sixtys Guy
Approved Member

Post by Sixtys Guy » Fri Aug 30, 2013 9:24 pm

andymac0035 wrote:I like that (a lot). :thumbsup:

I can't help but wonder how much power you could throw at one of those if you stayed with stock-sized tires. :?: :idea: :twisted:
From what I have read the dog bones are weak as are the replacement cvd's that are available. I have read and seen some 4s converted ones on YouTube though.....

Sixtys Guy
Approved Member

Post by Sixtys Guy » Fri Aug 30, 2013 9:28 pm

SFC K wrote:Cool truck! I like the clod size wheels on but it seems that and you said it too that the steering is not to be desired. The stock wheels look good but maybe try some WK tire wheel combos? It could get you the in-between the stock look and monster look. :D

I do like the stock body better though too.
I looked at the wheely king tyres, but decided on monster jam wheels and tyres instead. The wheely king tyres will fit on the stock wheels, but I could get the MJ wheels and tires for he same price as just the wk tyres.

vwjuice
Approved Member

Post by vwjuice » Fri Aug 30, 2013 9:45 pm

Oh cool. I'll be watching this thread. I'm very curious to see how you like the truck.

Btw do you have the skull crusher truck? If so what's your thoughts and opinions on it?
SFC K is my hero!

Sixtys Guy
Approved Member

Post by Sixtys Guy » Fri Aug 30, 2013 10:05 pm

Hey mate. I have to say I love this truck already! I think the twin motors is the biggest draw card for me as it is a bit different on a truck this size. I'm actually searching for another! There are some chinese copies of these that can be picked up cheap 2nd hand, so I'm keeping an eye out for these as well.

No, I don't have the Skull Crusher. I bought the body a couple of months ago when saw the body on HK for $11 and thought I couldn't go wrong with it. I put it on my GP, but it was a little small. It fits this truck really well, although i actually have another body on order. I forgot to order the roll bar, so that is on it's way. I actually looked at buying the Skull Crusher wheels and tyres too as they are cheaper than the MJ versions, but the offset didn't look right from the pictures.

vwjuice
Approved Member

Post by vwjuice » Fri Aug 30, 2013 11:14 pm

What are the cheap copies of the dagger?

Thanks for all your input.
SFC K is my hero!

Sixtys Guy
Approved Member

Post by Sixtys Guy » Sat Aug 31, 2013 12:13 am

The most common that I found is the is the HBX (Haiboxing) 'Bonzer' or 'Cross Tiger'. It's a copy of the TL01 chassis (single motor) with Wild Dagger body and wheels. It shares pretty much all components with the Wild Dagger and TL01. It is $129 shipped on Ebay here in Aus. Plenty of youtube vids for this one.

There is an identical one sold in the UK under the brand 'Ninco' (I think that is it). And another by 'RC Revolution'.

And finally there is another which looks to be completely identical to the Wild Dagger; ttp://hqtoys.en.alibaba.com/product/986061375-214176313/Hotest_HQ711_1_10_Scale_4WD_RTR_Off_Road_traxxas_rc_cars_30km_h_rc_electric_powered_cars_hobby.html

vwjuice
Approved Member

Post by vwjuice » Sat Aug 31, 2013 1:12 am

I'll have to start looking those up. Christmas is coming soon. :lol:
SFC K is my hero!

Sixtys Guy
Approved Member

Post by Sixtys Guy » Sun Sep 01, 2013 9:41 am

Fixed up most of the steering issues yesterday. The servo mounting is very poor - the servo mounts on plastic blocks and only one screw on each side of the servo is used. The servo flexes really badly and coupled with the poor stock servo saver the steering leaves a lot to be desired.

I used some aluminium servo mounts that I bought a while ago and used a 3mm piece of flat bar to brace them to the chassis. I also replaced the stock servo saver with a Kimbrough 124 saver. This works a lot better and there is only a minor hint of the servo flexing. I'd say that 95% of the flex is gone.

vwjuice
Approved Member

Post by vwjuice » Sun Sep 01, 2013 4:38 pm

That's a good looking fix. I bet it is a lot better.
SFC K is my hero!

91lxcoupe
Approved Member

Post by 91lxcoupe » Mon Sep 02, 2013 3:24 am

that thing looks like fun