got an e-savage

Although not considered a traditional monster truck, they still have monster coolness.
Want to see your truck featured on the home page? Enter our monthly contest in the general discussion section!
Forum rules
Want to see your truck featured on the home page? Enter our monthly contest in the general discussion section!
cher9498
Approved Member

Re: I have gone to the dark side....e-savage....new vid adde

Post by cher9498 » Sun Oct 23, 2011 4:08 am

yeah but the hpi branded motors are 12.95 on feabay the titans are quite a bit more
i didn't know it was bound up. now you got a sweet savage and it seems to jump good
duct tape is like the force it has a light side and a darkside and binds the universe together
(from a scientist on the history channel)

andymac0035
Administrator

Post by andymac0035 » Sun Oct 23, 2011 4:23 am

If you ever look in the slash 4x4 section on URC you'll see a sticky on half-shaft binding/mainainance.
I have had to do this fix to both of the one's I've owned, so it made sense to check it on this truck too. One of the rear one's was really bad. The guy that had it before you must have got a rock stuck between the shaft and the lower arm. The shaft was all gouged and it was almost though. It basically pinched it so it didn't slide at all. I spent hours with it all apart and had to shave away at (ALL) the plastic splines till there was clearance for all things to slide/telescope freely again......what a pita....... :roll:

And you should have seen the crap that came out of those motors.
........good to know on the price difference though, I'll remember that.

cher9498
Approved Member

Post by cher9498 » Sun Oct 23, 2011 4:47 am

here is a link i keep it on my watch list he renews it all the time
http://www.ebay.com/itm/190558174360?ss ... 1438.l2649
some times he offers free shipping
duct tape is like the force it has a light side and a darkside and binds the universe together

andymac0035
Administrator

Post by andymac0035 » Mon Oct 31, 2011 3:28 pm

Well, ran it in the snow yesterday. It actually didn't do too bad, but then I ran the clod afterwards and that put the e-savage to shame. I'm probably going to put the stock tires back on since they are a little taller.

However, I smoked both motors........ :roll:
After looking at the motors closer.....They just wore out. The brushes wore right off. It was wierd, it lost power (probably the 1st motor going) than other followed almost immediatly.

These are NOT the same as the titan monster 550.
The flux band is not as thick and they only have 2 vent holes vs the 4 or 5 that the titan has. Judging by the amount of soot that comes out after every cleaning I'd say the brushes are softer too.

I have a pair of silver cans in it at the moment, but I have a pair of titan 12T motors and I'm thinking about using those.

vwjuice
Approved Member

Post by vwjuice » Mon Oct 31, 2011 5:53 pm

I almost bought an e-savage until I drove my uncles savage X 5.9. Or whatever size it is. That thing was lazy. Pretty good speed out of the 3spd, but the suspension soaked up every bump so there wasn't a challenge, and it took a football field to turn at high speeds. I didn't like the truck at all. Your savage looks like it's a lot better truck.
SFC K is my hero!
All bow down before the great terminator-smilie!

andymac0035
Administrator

Post by andymac0035 » Sun Nov 06, 2011 12:55 am

Well......I toasted one of the silver cans.....bad! Had windings and epoxy come out of it...... :mrgreen:

Sooooo,
Today I decided to try putting the pair of titan 12T's in there. I also figured I better gear it down too. I had a pair of 15t pinions.....so in they went. I had to ditch the flux rings though, as the motors were hitting the chassis with the smaller pinions. Took er' for a spin, ran pretty good. Seemed to be about as fast as it was before. I think I'm going to put the taller stock tires on tomorrow. :roll: :twisted: :mrgreen:

Only thing though, about 3/4 of the way through the run the esc started thermalling. I'd never had an esc thermal on me.....I thought I cooked something (again). These HPI esc's just kinda' cut-in-and-out when they thermal. I let it cool off and finished my run.

So.....motors were warm, esc was a bit hot, and the nimh batteries were hot too. I've notoiced the batteries are always hot no matter what set-up I've used so far though.

Kingclod27
Approved Member

Post by Kingclod27 » Mon Nov 07, 2011 7:55 am

I thought about getting an E-savage for a while but I wasnt thrilled with the independent suspension trucks...I had an Emaxx and it was cool but once I got into clods I was hooked...Still interested in this truck tho, I wonder how it would perform with a brushless system and 3s lipo????
The Original Monster Truck

SPEED.......I..AM..SPEED

http://www.youtube.com/user/geeboo27

andymac0035
Administrator

Post by andymac0035 » Sun Dec 18, 2011 11:36 pm

We will never know..........

I have been having issue's with the truck busting the LR halfshaft. I thought it was the diff and I noticed the outdrives had a lot of slop. Well I took it apart and shimmed it. Got it nice and tight, went to run it.

Didn't last 5 minutes. No big jumps.....no lipo's....just basic simple stuff, and it was geared/slowed down too. I am done. Once all the extra shafts I bought bust and I can't run it anymore I'm partsing it out. It's too bad, when it's not broke it actually runs good, but this is rediculious.....

My clods break too, and I busted an axletube on my clodzilla today too. That was my fault, a jump went way wrong and it took a tumble that snapped it, but it was easily doing everything the e-savage was and then some for a lot longer.

cher9498
Approved Member

Re: got an e-savage....update.....no longer happy with it.

Post by cher9498 » Mon Dec 19, 2011 4:38 pm

do you think cvd's would fix it?

andymac0035
Administrator

Re: got an e-savage....update.....no longer happy with it.

Post by andymac0035 » Mon Dec 19, 2011 10:31 pm

I think dropping off a cliff would do a better job of fixing it..... :evil: :twisted: :mrgreen: :lol:

I was venting in the other post. I tried that trick of boiling parts to soften them up and it did seem to work. The pieces had more flex to them afterwards. Ran it today and it didn't break......amazing.

I noticed some differences in the HPI outdrives vs the traxxas one's I'm using.
I think I can make this right......but I still also think I've lost interest, we shall see.

cher9498
Approved Member

Re: got an e-savage

Post by cher9498 » Mon Dec 19, 2011 10:45 pm

well if you decide to part with it i may want it again :D

todd ritchings
Approved Member

Post by todd ritchings » Mon Dec 19, 2011 11:41 pm

Andymac can you post a pic of this beast?

cher9498
Approved Member

Post by cher9498 » Tue Dec 20, 2011 1:52 am

EDIT: oops
Last edited by cher9498 on Tue Dec 20, 2011 2:10 am, edited 1 time in total.

andymac0035
Administrator

Post by andymac0035 » Tue Dec 20, 2011 1:59 am

I was gonna' say....lots of pics on page one......ah well, here's the vid from page one too..... :mrgreen:

[youtube]4zSpQUpG-vk[/youtube]

@ cher9498.......still kicking yourself for selling it huh?
I'll let you know if I decide to unload it, but I have a sneaking suspicion Chis is eyeballin' it.

cher9498
Approved Member

Post by cher9498 » Tue Dec 20, 2011 2:11 am

yeah kinda i never ran it before i sold it :oops: