Brushless Blackfoot

Although not considered a traditional monster truck, they still have monster coolness.
Want to see your truck featured on the home page? Enter our monthly contest in the general discussion section!
Forum rules
Want to see your truck featured on the home page? Enter our monthly contest in the general discussion section!
Smileyboy

Brushless Blackfoot

Post by Smileyboy » Fri Apr 08, 2011 3:00 pm

I'm finding that blackfoots r pretty cheap on eBay. I would like to step one up for brushless. Anyone have any tips?

vwjuice
Approved Member

Re: Brushless Blackfoot

Post by vwjuice » Fri Apr 08, 2011 3:37 pm

Yes. Blackfoots are a blast to drive. I have 3 and I raced one in a vintage class. My blackfoot WITH the stock hard body against gold pan stealth trannied rc-10's and a first run Traxxas Bandit. I obviously lost using a 27t motor against their mod brushless motors, BUT everyone in the place stopped working on their rc's to come watch the blackfoot take on the triples and the tanletop. Here's the upgrades you'll need to do in order to run reliably. Get a Blackfoot. For less than $50 and another $40-$50 in upgrades........... It's some of the most fun you could ever have with a rc.

Bearings and shocks are the first upgrades you should do. They will transform the handling of the Blackfoot tremendously.

Move the steering servo to the center of the servo mounting area and get some turnbuckles of equal length. It will make the steering a lot more responsive. The stock linkages flex too much.

Get the diff outdrives, dogbones, and axles from the new re-release Frog. They are a much better design.

Get the Parma lexan Blackfoot body. Fits perfect, but weighs a lot less and helps the truck be less tipsy.

Search ebay for different aluminum upgrades. Here's the most needed upgrade in aluminum

http://cgi.ebay.com/CRA-2-Tamiya-Frog-B ... 1c1ab7b7cc

Check this guy's ebay auctions regularly. He sells alot of great hopups for the Blackfoot.

http://myworld.ebay.com/teamcrp/?_trksid=p4340.l2559

Lastly. RACE IT!!!!!!!!!!!!! You'd be shocked how much fun the Blackfoot is to race. You won't win without doing a lot of upgrades to it and even then you probably won't win anything, but you'll have more fun than anyone out there.
SFC K is my hero!
All bow down before the great terminator-smilie!

vwjuice
Approved Member

Post by vwjuice » Fri Apr 08, 2011 3:50 pm

Also the Super Blackfoot does handle a lot better. The main problem I have with the Blackfoot is that the trailing arms always break where the shocks bolt on. The Super Blackfoot has traditional lower arms and it fixes the problem of the trailing arms breaking.

Oh and get different tires. The stock tires are ok if your not putting much power to it, BUT once you up the power you will need more. If your racing then get some 2.2 race tires like bow-ties or something like that. If your bashing then get Traxxas Stampede tires- the old school 2.2 size. They work great and are cheap. Or if you want to spend a little more money get something like Pro-line Badlands tires. They have awesome traction. Imex has some good looking tires that are 2.2 wheel size yet bigger than the stock Blackfoot tires.
SFC K is my hero!
All bow down before the great terminator-smilie!

Smileyboy

Post by Smileyboy » Sun Apr 10, 2011 12:10 am

Thx. Looking now.