RedCat Racing EarthQuake 8E (Lots of Pics)

Although not considered a traditional monster truck, they still have monster coolness.
Want to see your truck featured on the home page? Enter our monthly contest in the general discussion section!
Forum rules
Want to see your truck featured on the home page? Enter our monthly contest in the general discussion section!
Budhatrain
Business Member

Re: RedCat Racing EarthQuake 8E (Lots of Pics)

Post by Budhatrain » Fri Feb 18, 2011 4:37 am

once you go lipo and brushless you will never go back... well pretty soon you will not be able to go back because brushed and nimh's will be dinosors
Need Screws?! Check out Screw Loose Hex Head Hardware here at Clodtalk or go to http://screwloosehardware.com

Team Driver for 2 great companies, visit http://www.cowrc.com and http://store.rc4wd.com/

TomT
Approved Member

Post by TomT » Fri Feb 18, 2011 4:49 am

Budhatrain wrote:once you go lipo and brushless you will never go back... well pretty soon you will not be able to go back because brushed and nimh's will be dinosors

Yeah, things have changed by leaps and bounds in not so many years.... perpetuating the throw away society because of obsolescence...
TomT

Indiana Jones: "...It's not the years, but the mileage..."

Diamond Dave
Approved Member

Post by Diamond Dave » Fri Feb 18, 2011 4:50 am

Very well said Tom.

TomT
Approved Member

Post by TomT » Fri Feb 18, 2011 9:36 pm

Went below freezing last night and today so I managed to take it for a test run! (did not want it all wet and the snow froze up good so I had a nice area to run in)

This thing moves! Everything worked great, steering, braking, reverse and acceleration is off the chart! It is actually pretty hard to control for me because I'm not use to this kind of power, throttle finess is the key. I had a natural snow ramp from the yard to the walkway to test the jump ability, WOW! Just slowly approaching the ramp then punching and letting off this thing was 8-12 feet in the air! It was actually jumping better when I was not trying to control it so much, when I tried to get fancy it came down HARD a couple of times on it's rear bumper and straight down on it's lid (onto concrete)!

Now there are a couple of things due to driver error, not due to the vehicle itself. First it was about 15F outside and I had concerns about the thicker harder plastic body... well after a couple wheelies the rear wing shattered and coming down on it's lid from about 12 feet up took care of the rest of the body and lost one body clip. The rear bumper also sacrificed itself in a hard tail landing. I'm thinking the carnage would have been less had it been warmer out and a better driver at the wheel. Other than those two things it jumped rather flat and high when the operator was more or less letting it do it's own thing. I can't really comment on run time due to the wind freezing me to death and after gernading the body I figured it and I was good for the day!

I'm pretty happy with this unit in no small part due to it's very good price (Thanks C.P.E.!) and it's insane speed / power. It'll make a good brushless learner vehicle.

I have an unpainted TXT shell I might see how it fits. Also once I have ran it for a bit I might look into possibly locking the center Diff.

Carnage pics: EDIT, I just noticed a rear shock spring cups is MIA

Image Image

BTW here is my "new" charger setup... yeah I know I should have a Li-Po bag and not setting on flammable objects!

Last edited by TomT on Sat Feb 19, 2011 12:36 am, edited 4 times in total.
TomT

TomT
Approved Member

Post by TomT » Fri Feb 18, 2011 9:43 pm

OH, I guess I'm in the KABOOM club now! :lol: :lol: :lol:

8)
TomT

Diamond Dave
Approved Member

Post by Diamond Dave » Sat Feb 19, 2011 7:23 am

I love it!! Yes you are right about the temps and the carnage. I have a recent purchase to showcase here soon enough. The lipo bag is a good idea, I have one.

The charger is great and easy to use huh? Mine is the Triton2, Just be aware of what batts you are charging and you will have no probs.

Rcmaniac78
Approved Member

Post by Rcmaniac78 » Sat Feb 19, 2011 7:44 am

TomT wrote:OH, I guess I'm in the KABOOM club now! :lol: :lol: :lol:

8)
Don't worry I'll put you up on our Crash club on FB! ;)
Wait what?

TomT
Approved Member

Post by TomT » Sun Feb 27, 2011 7:43 pm

ReBirth:

Taking it easy in the Video :)

[youtube]NDwBJn2j8-A[/youtube]
TomT

SFC K
Administrator

Post by SFC K » Sun Feb 27, 2011 10:34 pm

That body did not last long. :mrgreen: You looked like you were freezing bud.
Jeff

Rcmaniac78
Approved Member

Post by Rcmaniac78 » Sun Feb 27, 2011 10:41 pm

lmao I love it man! seems like a really good truck! :)
Wait what?

TomT
Approved Member

Post by TomT » Sun Feb 27, 2011 11:57 pm

SFC K wrote:That body did not last long. :mrgreen: You looked like you were freezing bud.
Actually the body is still "OK" it lost 2 clips so I figured ok, take it off before complete destruction. Something custom might have to be in the works.... build or buy a wheelie bar and cage for trees :lol:

Been sick over a week now, dropped 10lbs, think I have pneumonia. Going to find out tomorrow. After I came in I could not breathe and had a bad coughing spasm. Add on top of that the looming stress of a possible divorce and I ain't been doing too hot.

Thought I'd try and have a little fun today...
TomT

SFC K
Administrator

Post by SFC K » Mon Feb 28, 2011 12:15 am

TomT wrote:
SFC K wrote:That body did not last long. :mrgreen: You looked like you were freezing bud.
Actually the body is still "OK" it lost 2 clips so I figured ok, take it off before complete destruction. Something custom might have to be in the works.... build or buy a wheelie bar and cage for trees :lol:

Been sick over a week now, dropped 10lbs, think I have pneumonia. Going to find out tomorrow. After I came in I could not breathe and had a bad coughing spasm. Add on top of that the looming stress of a possible divorce and I ain't been doing too hot.

Thought I'd try and have a little fun today...
Man hope you get over your cold. Sorry to here about the possible divorce too. That is never good news. How is the job hunting going?
Jeff

TomT
Approved Member

Post by TomT » Mon Feb 28, 2011 12:42 am

SFC K wrote:Man hope you get over your cold. Sorry to here about the possible divorce too. That is never good news. How is the job hunting going?

Same as everything else lately, right in the sh*tter. Seen the Army is hiring prior service... LOL.
First things first though, fix my health! :lol:
TomT

vdubfiend
Approved Member

Post by vdubfiend » Sun Mar 20, 2011 7:07 am

nice truck

vwjuice
Approved Member

Post by vwjuice » Fri Apr 15, 2011 7:13 pm

Tom any updates?

I have the Hobbywing brushless setup in my Losi Mini-t and yeah they have a lot of power. For anyone looking to go brushless but don't want to spend a lot to find out if you like it or not.................. These kits are cheap and very powerful. I like it just as much as my Lrp Sphere TC brushless speed control ($175) plus my Orion 17.5 motor ($100).
SFC K is my hero!
All bow down before the great terminator-smilie!