Pede' on a budget

Although not considered a traditional monster truck, they still have monster coolness.
Want to see your truck featured on the home page? Enter our monthly contest in the general discussion section!
Forum rules
Want to see your truck featured on the home page? Enter our monthly contest in the general discussion section!
andymac0035
Administrator

Pede' on a budget

Post by andymac0035 » Tue Dec 21, 2010 7:06 am

Basically.....doing the math.....I picked up 3 rollers ($80) and the most needy of those went to Rcmaniac78 who pitched in $20 for it. So the way I see it the other two were $30 each.

I've been stockpiling spare parts......time to use em'....... :wink:
Other than the initial money spent....I have not actually "bought" anything to make this pede'.

Pede' roller- $30
body- wife has a pede' with an extra body.....(shhhh don't tell her I borrowed it) :lol:
servo- had two bad one's.....made one good one.... :mrgreen:
wheels/tires- stock ones that came with it and also some huge ones I "made"
esc- duratrax evader esc....free
radio- traxxas TQ from a jato.....free
mounting tray for above......fabbed by me from a slash chassis nose section (hey it worked)
motor- stock clod silver can
spur- 84t (came with roller)
pinion- 23t, it's a lil' high, but it's a higher turn motor too, and I have lots of pinions

andymac0035
Administrator

Re: Pede' on a budget

Post by andymac0035 » Tue Dec 21, 2010 7:18 am

I like it, it makes a great winter basher. The bigger tires seen below were too much for it. Even if I geared down.....I think I would need a 21t 550. But....I got those tires off a toy grade R/C and they fit real good one these 2.8's. Got foams in there too.

All in all I like the stockers best so they will stay.

vwjuice
Approved Member

Post by vwjuice » Tue Dec 21, 2010 7:30 am

With a 21t 550 those tires will work just fine. The newer pede's run biggertires and wheels than the stock ones you have there.

I still have my pede from when I got it new in '94 or '95. Mine's a first run first gen. I love it, still one of my top three favorite rc's ever!!!!!!!! Throw a 17.5 brushless in it with proline 30series bowties on proline wheels and throw it on a track. You'd be surprised how well the truck is as racer. I raced it after my Factory Team T4 broke. I was more consistent with the Stampede with bald stock tires and I came in thrid out of 9 trucks in the field. The second heat I was in the lead by the first turn and clearing jumps other trucks couldn't. I was ran thru tech after the race to make sure I wasn't cheating. They found I was not only running fair, but I didn't even have boost turned on in the esc. :lol: :lol:
SFC K is my hero!
All bow down before the great terminator-smilie!

andymac0035
Administrator

Post by andymac0035 » Tue Dec 21, 2010 7:48 am

Hahaaa!!!!!! That's cool!

I got a rustler too (the other roller), if one's gonna' get BL power it's the rustler.
Both have non-slipper rear-ends with plastic gears. I got a spare 2.72 metal gear one though.

I don't know how old this pede' is, but as you can see it's the all black plastic one and it had the braket for the msc too. My wife's pede' is a newer XL5 with the 2.8 talons. These tires are actually about a 1/2" taller. I just like the old-school 2.2's on this one....at least for now.

I am going to have to spend some money though......it still has bushings all around.

SFC K
Administrator

Post by SFC K » Tue Dec 21, 2010 2:50 pm

The Pede turned out really nice! You going to keep the Talons on there? The new body with the old school black chassis looks great too!
Jeff

vwjuice
Approved Member

Post by vwjuice » Tue Dec 21, 2010 4:44 pm

Obviously a yes on the bearing kit. You can add a slipper to them. I did with mine. The top shaft is the same for the old ones and the new ones. Just get the slipper repair kit and bolt it on. Instant slipper clutch. As for the tranny the only thing I ever broke was the idler gear. I installed the steel one, made a sealed diff out of the stock diff and added 100,000weight traxxas diff oil. No slipper just bald tires and the truck was awesome on the track. 8)
SFC K is my hero!

Rcmaniac78
Approved Member

Post by Rcmaniac78 » Tue Jan 18, 2011 4:23 am

yeah it runs good ;) half them parts are thanks to the webster dumbster haha :D nah when my dad or myself don't want something HEY ANDY :P but yeah I gotta get the old school rustler I have going :) I'll have to make a thread once I'm done with it! gj Andy!
Wait what?

andymac0035
Administrator

Post by andymac0035 » Sun Apr 10, 2011 7:04 am

Budget pede' no longer...... :wink:

Added the correct modern electrics tray for the esc and the waterproof reciever box.
Which meant it got a different TQ radio with a micro reciever.
XL-5 esc went in as well as a titan 12T 550 motor.
Full ball bearings went in as well.

When I took the tranny apart it was like opening a time capsule. It was clean! Amazing!
Added the bearings, a little grease on the gears and all back together.
Interestingly.......these plastic gears were black.......the ones on the rustler were not.

vwjuice
Approved Member

Post by vwjuice » Sun Apr 10, 2011 4:50 pm

Yeah it's weird. Traxxas used the white parts/gears on the earlier vehicles like the radicator and the Sledgehmmer. Then they switched to black on the first gen rustler/bandit/Stampede. Then changed back to white for replacement parts and newer runs of the vehicles. I don't know why they did this, but oh well. :lol:
SFC K is my hero!

andymac0035
Administrator

Post by andymac0035 » Sun Apr 10, 2011 11:24 pm

Yeah......thing is though.....both this pede and rustler I got were old msc versions.
Based on the amount (or lack there-of) wear on the pede, I'd say it was hardly run.
The rustler at least had a worn top shaft bushing.....lol