Racing specs

Talk about the Clod Buster, and all other motor on axle trucks here.
Want to see your truck featured on the home page? Enter our monthly contest in the general discussion section!
Forum rules
Want to see your truck featured on the home page? Enter our monthly contest in the general discussion section!
jchung
Approved Member

Racing specs

Post by jchung » Fri Dec 31, 2004 11:37 pm

Just wondering, what esc's are the most popular for racing on these trucks (TXT, Clod, Twin)? Also do you guys run 2 motors or 1 only? How many cells are the most popular? Thanks.

Jchung

Ultima ST

Post by Ultima ST » Fri Dec 31, 2004 11:43 pm

I would talk to TIER, he's into the racing scene a bit.

Devastator2000
Approved Member

Post by Devastator2000 » Sun Jan 02, 2005 6:31 am

Two motors are definitely necessary. SR's are pretty popular for esc's and many guys run 7 or 8 cell packs.

gnomb

Post by gnomb » Fri Mar 04, 2005 10:55 am

I was kinda wondering about a 2WD racer as well. It seems you could get rid of a lot of weight by removing the..

Motor (wires mounting hardware etc.)
Gears, shafts, bearings...

I bet you could save at least a pound. Also it would seem that you could run a lower turn motor and make up the speed difference. I would think that running only 1 motor would let your batteries stay in the high voltage output zone for longer.

On the other hand I imagine control would suffer and lees weight on the front means less on-power steering and more wheelies.

On the whole I think it could be a fun class to run, very challenging.

TIER
Approved Member

Post by TIER » Fri Mar 04, 2005 6:03 pm

racing clods and txt's is a blast! definatly my favorite form of rc racing. as for motors and speed controls... i run mostly 13x2 and 13x3 orion motors (orions have run ALOT better for me than trinity's) and mostly run on 7 cells. in my clods i run the stock gearing and in my txt-r i run 1 tooth higher than stock.

as for speed controls, i have tried many different kinds and have a few i really like, most fo which are dicontinued :cry: . Novak tempest pro's and cyclones work very very well.... but tend to be hard to come by. i have seen cyclones run down to 7x1 motors in a drag clod without sweating it... and have seen the tempests run two 10x3's in a txt on 8 cells witout sweating it. some of my faves you can stil buy are things like the LRP 7.1 and the quantum 2 (for milder setups) and my favorite of all... the GMV12. the V12's are possibly one of the most bullet proof esc's out there and dont sweat even some of the hottest motors. i only hae one currently.. but hope to be switching most of my fleet over to them in the near future.
Maybe im crazy
Maybe your crazy
Maybe we're crazy
Probably

team prp

Post by team prp » Fri Mar 11, 2005 11:02 pm

Hey Tier,

How long have you been running the GMV12? How hot does it feel after a run? Are you racing it in a timed heat or side x side elimination style?

I haven't tried any GM speedos yet, but I might give the V12 a try. I am currently running 11x2 motors. Do you think the v12 will hold up?

Thanks!
Ben

TIER
Approved Member

Post by TIER » Fri Mar 11, 2005 11:14 pm

i do road course racing.... 4 minutes of brutal turns and straits and the gm doesnt sweat it at all. i normaly run 13x3 motors on my clods at the track on 7 cells (since thats within the track limit) but for side by side racing.... i run 10x3 motors on 8 cells and the GM doesnt sweat it. gets fairly warm.. but by no means is it hot.
I know JAy jordan runs them in almost all his rigs and hes who got me hooked on them... he swears by them and so do i as of now.
Maybe im crazy
Maybe your crazy
Maybe we're crazy
Probably

team prp

Post by team prp » Fri Mar 11, 2005 11:24 pm

Very cool, thanks for the info!

TIER
Approved Member

Post by TIER » Fri Mar 11, 2005 11:32 pm

no prob ben.. glad i could help!
Maybe im crazy