Clod questions

Talk about the Clod Buster, and all other motor on axle trucks here.
Want to see your truck featured on the home page? Enter our monthly contest in the general discussion section!
Forum rules
Want to see your truck featured on the home page? Enter our monthly contest in the general discussion section!
Mopar Marv

Clod questions

Post by Mopar Marv » Thu Mar 22, 2018 1:03 am

Hello Clod fans, I'm the new guy on the site at the moment and I have a couple of questions . Okay more than a couple but I'll try to keep it short for this session.

I'd like to get the parts required to change my long wheel base Clodzilla 2 to the stock Clod wheelbase but the stickers on the sides of my chassis are so badly rubbed out that I can't read them at all, so I'm not sure how to find the manufacturer's site to check things out. I am also seriously interested in acquiring a Rockzilla to mess with, I saw a couple of Youtube videos and it looks like some major fun.

My next question is about upper link mounts kits, I want something light weight, simple and functional , nothing big and bulky like some that I've seen. No offence meant to any of the creators of the bulky looking stuff, but as it stands my Clodzilla weights around 12 pounds ready to run and I don't want to add much more weight to the beast. Any suggestions?

And now I'll tell you all about my Clod. I'm running a long wheel base Clodzilla 2 chassis, stock Clod axles with full bearings, 27 turn Trinity Slot Machine 2 motors[one forward/one reverse], Robinson racing pinion gears[13 t], the old orange Novak E-Maxx ESC on two 5000 mah 6 cell nihm packs. Dual Cirrus metal geared, high torque steering servos stacked on top of each other in the stock servo location and a Traxxas 3 ch Radio and 2216 Rx with dual servo ports. I made my own one inch wideners and used 4 rebuilt stock Maxx shocks with 30 weight oil. For show and on road use, I have a Radio Shack Dodge Rammunition hard body and haven't decided on a bashing body yet. But I'm leaning towards the Hpi Ram Dually body at the moment.

I don't have any photos right now as I'm still waiting for decent weather so I can paint the body [ my wife gets a little bent out of shape when I stink the house up with spray paint].

I have a mini paint both in the garage but no heat. I tried setting it up in the basement once but it sucked out the pilot light in the furnace and the water heater and started pulling air in thru the chimney, which did not go over very well

#-o oops #-o
The Manic Mechanic

NorthernNightmare
Approved Member

Re: Clod questions

Post by NorthernNightmare » Thu Mar 22, 2018 1:10 am

Sound like a fun project, I always liked the lwb over swb for performance. Better be a ram body your painting!

Mopar or no Car, all the way :thumbsup:

andymac0035
Administrator

Post by andymac0035 » Thu Mar 22, 2018 3:03 am

"ESP" make the clodzilla, but I don't think they are in business any more. If you just want stock WB links you could just buy these: http://crawfordperformanceengineering.c ... ducts_id=5
They also make a set for a 12" WB that is kind of a compromise between stock (10.5") and the 14" WB that I'm pretty sure you have.

But... knowing that you are mechanically inclined... I would think you'd rather do this:

Upper link mounts? If you are referring to the part commonly mounted to the top of the clod axle where the steering swivel used to be?
Those "bulky-looking" aluminum pieces are not that heavy. If you are looking to save wight, go for a stocker and make tweaks to make that work.
You'd need to go axle-mounted servo to do all this, but regardless if you go upper link or not, get those servo's on the axles.

Unloaded (no batteries) my super-stock weighs 8 lbs, vs the Terminator (race clod) I had which weighed 9 lbs.
Best weight savings you could do with your clodzilla would be to replace those heavy nimh batts with a single 3-cell lipo battery.

Mopar Marv

Post by Mopar Marv » Thu Mar 22, 2018 9:12 am

NorthernNightmare wrote:
Thu Mar 22, 2018 1:10 am
Sound like a fun project, I always liked the lwb over swb for performance. Better be a ram body your painting!

Mopar or no Car, all the way :thumbsup:
Yep, I'm itching for warmer and much less snowy weather so I can go try it out . But we are expecting in the area of five or six inches of more blasted snow this weekend. And I'm still working on clearing some of the leftovers from our last storm .

You betcha, its a late '90s Dodge Ram , standard cab and box, that's why I want to switch to the stock Clod wheel base. It looks awful odd with the front and rear axles hanging out past the front and rear of the body.
The Manic Mechanic

Mopar Marv

Post by Mopar Marv » Thu Mar 22, 2018 11:12 am

So ESP is history, that would explain why I couldn't find their website. Here I thought that I was spelling the name wrong or something like that.

I guess that I'll have to check out CPE's website for the shorter links instead. Thank you for the info Andy!!!

Due to a lack of income during the winter months and no shortage of projects or nimh packs, the 3S lipo pack idea is a no go until after I dig up enough cash to buy an EVX-2 with LVD.

Due to the million things roaring around in my brain I also got things a bit mashed together in my first post. What I should have said, is once I get short links for my Clodzilla project, I plan to use the longer ones for the next Clod build that I'm planning for my second pair of Clod axles.

For that build I want to make my own alloy chassis and run an EVX-2 with the E Revo 550 motors, that I've got already and use my 1/8 scale New Bright Dodge Rammunition body and tires[ these babies are HUGE compared to the Stock Clod tires! As in Jumbo Kong huge]. But its the body that really has me going. Open chrome grill, amazing accuracy, interior platform, roll cage, steering wheel, gauges, racing seat and the top end of a supercharged Hemi in the back. Its awesome!

Once the big scale Ram is built, the Clodzilla 2 is going to be strictly an off road basher. The 1/8 scale Ram will be a show piece that runs and drives, occasionally!

I almost forgot, Andy in your last post, there is a large black box with a small grey square in it ,I tried clicking on it and all it does is turn grey and I see the same square beside the video thread on the home page, which does the same thing, turns grey and nothing happens.
The Manic Mechanic

andymac0035
Administrator

Post by andymac0035 » Fri Mar 23, 2018 2:04 am

The black box should be a preview window with a video in it. Apparently, your browser does not like it.
Here's a direct link to the video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_cont ... eeew4LJRIo

Mopar Marv

Post by Mopar Marv » Fri Mar 23, 2018 12:39 pm

I'm running Windows 7/ Internet Explorer 11 on my PC. I tried Windows 10 when Microsoft used their heavy handed tactics to install it on my PC without my permission and have to say that I hate it, big time!!! So I fdisked my PC and re-installed Windows 7.

I was running Firefox until one of their arrogant "Techs" tried telling me that " I wasn't smart enough to decide which of their updates to install". Then the same lame jerk had the stones to call me a liar when I informed him what my IQ rating was in high school, which was, let's just say well above average, to avoid bragging and that I highly doubted that it had gotten any lower since that time. Then the jerk got really nasty, so I ripped him a new orifice and lodged a complaint about the bonehead with Firefox management and got nothing but more snotty attitude. So if you guessed that there was no more Firefox here, you would be correct.

One of my buddy's sons is a computer programmer and he told me that Google Chrome is a nightmare of spyware, key stroke loggers, etc.... So No Chrome here either.

And since we live an hour away from civilization and I don't get out much, I haven't come across anything suitable in the way of a better browser than Internet Explorer 11 yet, but I'm still looking.
The Manic Mechanic

andymac0035
Administrator

Post by andymac0035 » Fri Mar 23, 2018 2:21 pm

Well that's too bad... and makes me wonder about google chrome now... LOL.

Anyway, the video was about using threaded rod, brake line, and traxxas revo rod ends to make your own custom links.