Clod steering stops

Talk about the Clod Buster, and all other motor on axle trucks here.
Want to see your truck featured on the home page? Enter our monthly contest in the general discussion section!
Forum rules
Want to see your truck featured on the home page? Enter our monthly contest in the general discussion section!
Saito
Approved Member

Clod steering stops

Post by Saito » Fri Jan 19, 2018 1:46 am

Quick question. Is it possible to shave some of the stock steering stops off a Clod hub (and if so, how much?) to get a little more steering with the stock axle shafts? Not quite ready to go with CVDs for this current build yet.

matt1ptkn

Re: Clod steering stops

Post by matt1ptkn » Fri Jan 19, 2018 12:12 pm

In short, yes. It is a common mod to take the stops off the hubs to gain more steering. However, this is usually done on the front only, when the rear steering is locked out.
-Matt

Saito
Approved Member

Post by Saito » Sun Jan 21, 2018 6:57 pm

Thanks. Yes, my rear is locked out.

mrgrimm
Approved Member

Post by mrgrimm » Tue Jan 23, 2018 1:01 am

Depending on suspension setup, I've seen where too much steering throw starts to get into lower links/shocks and I thought also I read about the stock axle dogbones not working well and possibly needing cvd's.
Monster trucks rule :)

SFC K
Administrator

Post by SFC K » Thu Jan 25, 2018 9:38 pm

I wouldn't worry about the CVDs for just shaving the stops off. You gain some additional steering angle, but not enough to warrant CVDs and they are expensive and don't work with the stock plastic hub. The thread below has a lot more info and additional on shaving the inside of the hub as well to gain even more.

viewtopic.php?f=46&t=29062
Jeff

Saito
Approved Member

Post by Saito » Fri Jan 26, 2018 7:51 pm

Thanks for the links. Part of the issue is I don't want to widen this build. Its going to be and old school Sassy Chassis/4-link build with a standard width truck.