steering trouble

Talk about the Clod Buster, and all other motor on axle trucks here.
Want to see your truck featured on the home page? Enter our monthly contest in the general discussion section!
Forum rules
Want to see your truck featured on the home page? Enter our monthly contest in the general discussion section!
Zep71

steering trouble

Post by Zep71 » Mon Aug 14, 2017 12:16 pm

Ran my new ClodBuster this weekend and it seemed to steer great one way and not very good the other way this is all stock ClodBuster steering, any one know of a good way to get the steering working?

matt1ptkn

Re: steering trouble

Post by matt1ptkn » Mon Aug 14, 2017 1:59 pm

There used to be some upgrade options for the stock clod steering, I'm not sure what all is available now because I think the best option is to ditch the stock clod steering. Plus, steering all 4 of those tires with just one servo, is a lot to be asking of that one servo. And the stock servo savers tend to be very sloppy. If you want better handling and responsive steering, I'd suggest an axle mounted servo setup. You can use one on the front and rear if you want to retain the 4 wheel steering, just mount up two servos and connect with a Y harness and you're set.
-Matt

Zep71

Post by Zep71 » Mon Aug 14, 2017 3:13 pm

matt1ptkn wrote:
Mon Aug 14, 2017 1:59 pm
There used to be some upgrade options for the stock clod steering, I'm not sure what all is available now because I think the best option is to ditch the stock clod steering. Plus, steering all 4 of those tires with just one servo, is a lot to be asking of that one servo. And the stock servo savers tend to be very sloppy. If you want better handling and responsive steering, I'd suggest an axle mounted servo setup. You can use one on the front and rear if you want to retain the 4 wheel steering, just mount up two servos and connect with a Y harness and you're set.
i will look into it thank you! my old clodbuster turns great on the stock setup maybe i will upgrade both trucks.

Halgar
Administrator

Post by Halgar » Mon Aug 14, 2017 10:58 pm

The stock steering has multiple issues.
1 - A single, centrally mounted servo, usually undersized for the needs of large, fat tires.
2 - A lot of sloppy joints
3 - Torque steer, which is why it turns better in one direction than the other. The force of the rotating motor/tires slams the steering in one direction, a force that has to be overcome by the servo to turn the other direction.
4 - Short steering throw, doesn't give you enough movement.

Quick fixes:

1 - a 100oz minimum single servo, bigger if you can afford it.
2 - Crank the servo savers down almost tight, the plastic arms will still flex if you bash against something too hard. An alternative would be to use an aftermarket OEM replacement servo saver.
3 - Install a longer yoke on the servo for more steering throw.

Better fixes:
1 - Install two servos, mounted on the axle, this divides the power required to steer in half and eliminates three quarters of the sloppy components. As mentioned above, you can buy or build a Y harness. I would recommend sticking with 100oz servos, as this will significantly improve overall performance.
I used to think I was indecisive, but now I'm not so sure.

87lc2
Approved Member

Post by 87lc2 » Tue Aug 15, 2017 1:42 am

Halgar makes some great points for improving the stock steering. Unfortunately it will just never be precise no matter what you do with the stock setup. Even if you install a 200+ in/oz servo you still have all of the other flexible joints as Halgar mentioned.

I have been going through this with my father recently. He has an all original 87 Clod that he has been taking out to the woods with me for some trail running. He is beyond frustrated with the steering as it's just not precise enough to make the maneuvers he needs to. We have done all of the above that Halgar mentioned and I even lent him a 230+ oz/in servo and its still pretty bad. He gets frustrated watching my Clod go up/over.around things with ease and I keep telling him to just mount the servos on the axles. I run 4WS with the servos on the axles and it will turn both sets of wheels standing still. Makes a huge difference when running trails.

Halgar
Administrator

Post by Halgar » Tue Aug 15, 2017 2:45 am

87lc2 wrote:
Tue Aug 15, 2017 1:42 am
Halgar makes some great points for improving the stock steering. Unfortunately it will just never be precise no matter what you do with the stock setup. Even if you install a 200+ in/oz servo you still have all of the other flexible joints as Halgar mentioned.

I have been going through this with my father recently. He has an all original 87 Clod that he has been taking out to the woods with me for some trail running. He is beyond frustrated with the steering as it's just not precise enough to make the maneuvers he needs to. We have done all of the above that Halgar mentioned and I even lent him a 230+ oz/in servo and its still pretty bad. He gets frustrated watching my Clod go up/over.around things with ease and I keep telling him to just mount the servos on the axles. I run 4WS with the servos on the axles and it will turn both sets of wheels standing still. Makes a huge difference when running trails.
That's why I included axle mounted servos as an option, more time and work, but worth it if you want really good steering. 8)
I used to think I was indecisive, but now I'm not so sure.

KONG
Approved Member

Post by KONG » Tue Aug 15, 2017 3:11 am

Filip did a nice mod on his stock Clod.
I can't find the thread but here's a video.

Zep71

Post by Zep71 » Tue Aug 15, 2017 1:45 pm

thank you guys good info i have 2 stock ClodBudters to upgrade