Speed controller

Talk about the Clod Buster, and all other motor on axle trucks here.
Want to see your truck featured on the home page? Enter our monthly contest in the general discussion section!
Forum rules
Want to see your truck featured on the home page? Enter our monthly contest in the general discussion section!
Zep71

Speed controller

Post by Zep71 » Mon Jul 24, 2017 8:35 pm

Hello Guys and Girls i just decided to get my Clodbusters running again one is a 1987 model i have had for that many years. other is unknown i bought a lot of parts on ebay 15 years ago incomplete i have rebuilt gear boxes with fast eddy barring.bought new 540 motors. new tires all new hardware. i am at the point of being able play with them. but i am kind of a novice on what speed controller to use. the stock speed control worked but broke after short use. i can't even find those any more and really don't want to. i also want to stay away from lipo batteries. any good recommendations on a speed controller and battery?
when i use to play with my truck it only ran 5 minutes on a 7.2 V battery is this still the case with these trucks? its been many years that this truck sat on a self i want to bring it out again.

andymac0035
Administrator

Re: Speed controller

Post by andymac0035 » Tue Jul 25, 2017 3:04 am

I think you are cheating yourself staying away from lipo batteries, but that is your choice.

A traxxas XL-5 esc can usually be had for cheap, and the older ones that do not have the lipo cut-off feature are usually everywhere and dirt-cheap.
Make some Y-harnesses for the esc's motor leads and get some traxxas power cell NiMh batteries. Get the 7-cell flat pack configuration and take the spacers out of your battery cups, they will slid right in. You will need a peak style charger. I would buy a newer charger that does both NiMh and balances lipo, that way you are set for now as well as the future. Run-time should be 15-20 minutes or more depending on driving conditions. You will also get a nice little boost in power going from 7.2v to 8.4v.

87lc2
Approved Member

Post by 87lc2 » Tue Jul 25, 2017 3:34 am

I just bought this ESC for one of my trucks and can't recommend it enough:

https://www.amazon.com/HobbyWing-301054 ... B00P8EQX68

Its for dual motors, waterproof, and comes with a fan. I can fully vouch for this unit as I took it on an almost 3 hour hike through the woods last weekend driving up a creek, through plenty of mud pits and didnt even use the fan, performed flawlessly. I run dual servos (one on each axle) and full LED lights. I ran 4 full 2S lipo packs through it without a break, very nice ESC especially for the price. Coincidentally my father who was with me has the Tamiya TEU-106BK in his Clod and it overheated 3-4 times.

As far as batteries I have to agree with Andy, no reason not to go with Lipo. When I got back into the hobby 3-4 years ago I avoided them for a bit because I didnt understand them, but now I wouldnt even use a Nimh if you gave it to me, they just dont have much use anymore. If you do insist on staying with nimh, get at least 3000-5000mah for decent run time and preferably 8.4v as Andy said.

Zep71

Post by Zep71 » Tue Jul 25, 2017 10:33 am

Thank you after 15 years a lot has changed in the RC world i will do some research on lipo batteries . the speed control is interesting i will get one ordered thanks again

87lc2
Approved Member

Post by 87lc2 » Tue Jul 25, 2017 1:55 pm

No problem, glad to help. It really is a nice little unit.

Zep71

Post by Zep71 » Wed Jul 26, 2017 3:41 pm

Hello again while i am waiting for a speed control i picked up one it is new only marking on it is ESC china i hooked it up put in a 7.2 V battery i get nothing to the motors it has 2 red wires and 2 black wires should it be one black one red or black and black red and red it also has a little red light that blinks with throttle control the way it was explained to me is this has a cutoff for lipo batteries to keep them from going dead and ruining the battery. does this sound correct? and is so could it be that my battery is not taking a charge? or my charger is not working? this is not lipo its nicd im lost on where to turn i will check the battery with a meter to see its output

87lc2
Approved Member

Post by 87lc2 » Wed Jul 26, 2017 4:01 pm

Each motor gets one of each color wire. It sounds like you bought the same ESC my dad did for his Clod. Unfortunately it did not work for him. He also has the red light blinking which is the Lipo cutoff I believe. He could get the truck to move for a few seconds, but it would almost immediately start jerking and eventually not move at all. I don't know for sure, but judging from both your experience & my fathers it looks like that may not work properly with NiCd batteries. Maybe contact the seller and see if there are settings that you can manually adjust for battery type?

My father sent his back and got the Hobbywing ESC I recommended above and has had zero issues. There are settings to change the type of battery. He uses it with NiCd/NiMh, and I use it with Lipos, no issues for either of us.

Zep71

Post by Zep71 » Wed Jul 26, 2017 4:14 pm

I have another ordered like you recommended its on back order i just found this other one by chance. i have 2 clodbusters i am getting together and cost is double lol i may wait and get the lipo items and see if that corrects it . until then i will have to play with my nito truck.

Zep71

Post by Zep71 » Wed Jul 26, 2017 4:19 pm

this speed control you recommended has 2 wires black and red that have no connectors what are those 2 wires for and where are they hooked up?

Zep71

Post by Zep71 » Wed Jul 26, 2017 4:45 pm

ordered lipo battery and balance charger. lets see what it does

87lc2
Approved Member

Post by 87lc2 » Wed Jul 26, 2017 5:27 pm

The black/red wires on the ESC I recommended are the battery leads. They left it like that so you can solder whatever type of connector you are using for you batteries on the ESC. I like that as I put Deans on everything and usually just cut the Tamiya connectors off.

Strange it was on back order, there are many places to get it. If the place you ordered it from won't have it soon maybe cancel and reorder?

I know what you mean about putting two trucks together, I constantly have 3-4 projects going at once. Not only do I have 8 functioning monster trucks, but I just got into trail running/crawling and RC Tanks. Not only is it time consuming, but its getting really expensive!

Nice job ordering the Lipo setup, I guarantee you'll be extremely happy with the switch. Not only do they last longer and keep higher voltage longer, but they're really easy to work with once you understand them. Any other questions just let me know, always glad to help.

Zep71

Post by Zep71 » Wed Jul 26, 2017 6:11 pm

wow you have that many Trucks? i ordered that control from amazon said more then 10 available then i got an email stating it was on back order. i will order another soon if i don't get it after all i need 2. i have my HPI racing truck to keep me occupied while i wait.

87lc2
Approved Member

Post by 87lc2 » Wed Jul 26, 2017 6:58 pm

I think I ordered mine from Ebay. If you need another one anyway might as well order, think it was $33 with free shipping or something close to that.

Yea, I have a lot of trucks. I only have two Clod axled trucks, the rest are shaftys. I like to think of RC as more of a disease than a hobby (at least my wife does anyway) :) I always say I should sell a few to fund future projects, but that never happens. I rarely end up selling anything, after I think of all the time I have into them they're worth way more to me than the $ I would get from selling.

Post some pics of your Clods when you get a chance, always nice to see more of them.

Zep71

Post by Zep71 » Wed Jul 26, 2017 7:57 pm

my wife is understanding and never says anything about my hobbies. i am just getting back into RC trucks and i have 3 ATV's that i put money into. my HPI Savage is Shaft drive very fast lots of fun. but i do love the Clodbusters . i plan to expand my collection as soon as the ones i have are running. i have some Lexon bodies to paint and get mounts for that's one of the best parts for me custom paint and bodies.

87lc2
Approved Member

Post by 87lc2 » Wed Jul 26, 2017 8:15 pm

Yea, the wife is definitely OK with my hobbies. Keeps me from getting into real trouble. Between the RC cars and 1:1 cars I keep pretty busy. I love painting the bodies as well and making them look as close to the real trucks as I can. I don't get into super detailing or anything because I run my trucks hard, but I do enjoy painting the bodies.