motor wiring question

Talk about the Clod Buster, and all other motor on axle trucks here.
Want to see your truck featured on the home page? Enter our monthly contest in the general discussion section!
Forum rules
Want to see your truck featured on the home page? Enter our monthly contest in the general discussion section!
ratpower396
Approved Member

motor wiring question

Post by ratpower396 » Mon Jul 03, 2017 2:58 pm

Do most of you guys hardwire your motors to the esc or use using plugs? if plugs what type are you using??

Thanks

matt1ptkn

Re: motor wiring question

Post by matt1ptkn » Mon Jul 03, 2017 3:24 pm

Back in the old days I used plugs, so that I could swap out motors easily. But I later realized that I was wasting a lot of plugs on motors and soldering/unsoldering wires really didn't take much time. Since then I have always hardwired. I'd say its really just a personal preference, but plugs could, on a rare occasion, come unplugged. ;)
-Matt

SFC K
Administrator

Post by SFC K » Mon Jul 03, 2017 5:31 pm

Plugs all the way. If you were a die hard racer, then hard wire the motor with no plugs in-between for less loss in current and more power to the motor. I'm not sure if it really helps or not but then again, I'm not a racer...
Jeff

andymac0035
Administrator

Post by andymac0035 » Mon Jul 03, 2017 10:25 pm

^^^ Oh it helps, I find myself hardwiring more and more...... it really does make a difference.
Almost everything I have is either hardwired or uses some kind of high-current connection.

Sixtys Guy
Approved Member

Post by Sixtys Guy » Tue Jul 04, 2017 2:15 am

I don't hardwire..... On brushless I use the standard 3mm plugs. If they come with 4mm plugs I usually take them off and use 3mm plug as this is what most of my trucks use. On brushed I have actually just started using the same 3mm plugs as I use on the brushless motors. I never liked the standard bullet connectors, not sure why I didn't start doing this a long time ago!