Opinions on 4-link and also limiting "squat"

Talk about the Clod Buster, and all other motor on axle trucks here.
Want to see your truck featured on the home page? Enter our monthly contest in the general discussion section!
Forum rules
Want to see your truck featured on the home page? Enter our monthly contest in the general discussion section!
Buggyjam

Opinions on 4-link and also limiting "squat"

Post by Buggyjam » Tue May 30, 2017 4:15 pm

What's your opinions on 4-link over the ladder bars? Is it weaker?

I've got a flashback chassis. Planning to rig my own 4-link.

I've read about chassis squat under acceleration and researched it and my head is hurting :) .

Background on my planned set up - My wheel base will be pretty stock as will the lower link lengths. The truck is fairly low using traxxas slash front shocks running from the top holes on the flashback chassis to the after market axle tube supports. The lower links will run from the axle tubes supports to what would be where the ladder bars mount on the chassis. The upper links will run from the centre top of the trans to the chassis in the "racing style"

If I run the upper links from the top of the trans is there a better position to run them to to limit squat? Say if the upper links were angled down to a lower point on the chassis, or alternatively angled to a higher point?

andymac0035
Administrator

Re: Opinions on 4-link and also limiting "squat"

Post by andymac0035 » Tue May 30, 2017 7:04 pm

Race style 4-link is always gonna' lean. You can limit it some but you won't get rid of it. That said, I don't think it will be as bad on that chassis due to where the shocks mount.
(and classic 4-link is very hard on axle tubes)

As to what is stronger?.... Ladder bars. No comparison, and bonus, they hold the axles in the way least likely to break (the axle tubes).

It's harder to make the ladder bars perform which is why you see the 5-link set up on my super-stocker, but you really just have to decide what it more important to you and what you want the truck to be able to do.

Buggyjam

Post by Buggyjam » Tue May 30, 2017 9:38 pm

Thanks Andy. What's 5 link? I don't mind a bit of squat but I don't want it sitting on it's backside every time I go. I'll give it some thought. I don't mind the bouncyness but I wouldn't mind the suspension working a little bit harder, it doesn't really do anything at the min on stock setup even with a bit of weight on the chassis.

andymac0035
Administrator

Post by andymac0035 » Tue May 30, 2017 10:42 pm

Basically I replaced the stock anti-rotational bracket with and extra link. viewtopic.php?f=46&t=27443&start=300

The ladder bars and those plastic "wing" shaped things act as a 4-link, while the 5th link up top replaces the anti-rotational bracket.
Not sure how practical that would be for you with your new chassis.

Sixtys Guy
Approved Member

Post by Sixtys Guy » Wed May 31, 2017 12:01 am

Buggyjam wrote:
Tue May 30, 2017 9:38 pm
I don't mind a bit of squat but I don't want it sitting on it's backside every time I go.
'Squat' isn't an issue for My Clods with the 4 link setup. Race Clods squat a lot, but that's because they generally have really soft suspension.

Buggyjam

Post by Buggyjam » Wed May 31, 2017 8:28 am

Thanks guys