Link position question

Talk about the Clod Buster, and all other motor on axle trucks here.
Want to see your truck featured on the home page? Enter our monthly contest in the general discussion section!
Forum rules
Want to see your truck featured on the home page? Enter our monthly contest in the general discussion section!
Saito
Approved Member

Link position question

Post by Saito » Sun May 28, 2017 1:06 am

I'm highly old school (or grossly out-of-date, depending on perspective). As such, my mod Clod is a Bennett Clod-A-Lever. Most up to date trucks run their top links to the top middle of the gearbox. What advantage does this have over my old Bennett's axle tube mounted top links? Thanks.

andymac0035
Administrator

Re: Link position question

Post by andymac0035 » Sun May 28, 2017 3:06 am

There are two advantages that come to mind. One is that it allows for a lower center of gravity for racing. The other, and I personally feel this is the more important one, is that it takes a huge load off the axle tube ends. With your typical classic clod 4-link you have both sets of links attached to the same part (the C-hub on the end of the axle tube). This puts quite a torque load on the axle tube ends, especially the rears. Add to that the large gearbox and motor that must be supported (all that mass trying to twist the ends off). This all leads to many axle tube ends twisted off once you start adding power. With the triangulating links moved up top AND off the C-hub, it allows the torque to unload by letting the axle pivot and instead lean the chassis back.

Saito
Approved Member

Re: Link position question

Post by Saito » Sun May 28, 2017 8:24 pm

Cool. That pretty much answers my question. Thanks.