Parts Bin Clod build

Talk about the Clod Buster, and all other motor on axle trucks here.
Want to see your truck featured on the home page? Enter our monthly contest in the general discussion section!
Forum rules
Want to see your truck featured on the home page? Enter our monthly contest in the general discussion section!
lanky
Approved Member

Parts Bin Clod build

Post by lanky » Tue Apr 11, 2017 11:50 pm

Had a clod in the closet in its original condition for the past 25 or so years... Pulled it out, blew off some dust, and decided to list it for sale... All of my other clods (5) were hacked up and turned into crawlers, and sold off the past few years, this is the last Clod I had. Threw the years I have collected many spare parts, had a chassis, a few links, spare servo etc etc. I figured what the Heck let me have a little fun with it, give it to my nephews or my son to play around with a while... So I had;

The Clod

Spares from these crawlers

So I had enough stuff to make a fun basher/ racer to have fun with.... Went to the local Hobby shop, Scored 2 additional links and had this...

That is where I currently am with this build... All in all I keep coming back to the Clods, just such good simple fun.

lanky
Approved Member

Re: Parts Bin Clod build

Post by lanky » Tue Apr 11, 2017 11:59 pm

Currently on order is 2 new sensored castle 5700kv systems, I wanted as smooth as possible. Proline Brawler wheels +17.5mm. Threw on my SMT10 Brawlers/ destroyers, and a beater body noticed how much faster the truck could enter corners/ how much more steering I could give it do to pushing the tire out from the bottom 4 link bar. Otherwise the plan is to replace parts as they break. I'd also like to Score an up to date chassis.

Here is some pics of the clod with my SMT10.

Clod with the brawlers/ destroyers

dubbl-a
Approved Member

Post by dubbl-a » Thu Apr 13, 2017 1:54 am

Both trucks look great!
Let us know how the new sensored Castles work for you.

lanky
Approved Member

Post by lanky » Sat Apr 15, 2017 8:48 pm

Was at the local Hobby shop to pickup some fresh E-Revo Titans, and my buddy gave me a smoking deal on 2 new Sidewinder 5700kv combo's :thumbsup: The new Castle sensored motors are sweet, nice and compact the 4 pole equals more then enough torque. While I will not be able to run the motors sensored with these particular ESC's, he made the solid argument that the startup isn't nearly as important as overall power, in this particular build. I'd end up running them smartsense anyway....

I made the Decision to run it on stock 13t pinions. Once I had the motors mounted, I moved onto the layout of the electronics. Soldered up both ESC's along with a BEC set at 6.0v as I plan to run/ have the option to run 4ws mixing. soon as I was finished with the soldering, I hooked up my castle link to both ESC's to update the firware/ set the punch control to 60% and reversed the rear ESC, I was all set. Pulled the power wire from both ESC's and hooked it to some 3s power. Holy :censored: The clod is officially Faster then my SMT10(Mamba Monster X/ Holmes Puller pro 3500kv XL). It then became obvious that I needed a bunch of chassis tuning to be able to make the truck handle the power. I threw on Shock towers, stood up my GTR's, and lowered the truck about 25mm. So here are some updated pictures, should have the final "much needed" Wheels and tires Monday! I am extremely Glad I didn't sell this off.

lanky
Approved Member

Post by lanky » Sun Apr 16, 2017 7:51 pm

Today after some holiday celebrations with the family, decided that it was the perfect day to mess around with the Clod. My nephew, my Son and myself headed into our woods to play around for a bit. clod performed exactly as I expected. Not a Crawler, not exactly a basher, just an awesome trail truck. wasted 3 5000mah packs and about an hour. rear motor never exceeded 140*f. After lunch headed out onto our little flat track to tune the suspension some. Over all I am extremely happy. Here is a video of the truck on basically a dead battery. Its is extremely overpowered/fun. you literally cannot come close to full throttle, in the video it saw max of 60% throttle. Video was taken with my old Iphone propped up on a light, so dont expect anything cool

<iframe src="https://player.vimeo.com/video/213440109" width="640" height="360" frameborder="0" webkitallowfullscreen mozallowfullscreen allowfullscreen></iframe>

andymac0035
Administrator

Post by andymac0035 » Mon Apr 17, 2017 5:03 am

You need wide open spaces.... dang those trees look like they could be deadly. :shock:
Truck looks like it's handling very well there though. :thumbsup:

lanky
Approved Member

Post by lanky » Sat Apr 22, 2017 2:19 pm

Still waiting on the JConcepts wheels to mount the new tires... However I picked up a spare set of Brawlers to mount on to the Clod tires... I also lengthened the wheel base some, it is exactly the same wheel base as my SMT-10 now.

After about 10 battery packs on the Clod, I ended up breaking a few Knuckles, and finally broke a axle tube... I am assuming that Hot racinf/ integy are the only Aluminum replacement options at this point?? I am hoping to machine 4 slots on the tube where it mounts to the gearcase so I can add a decent amount of castor. While still running the gearcase clocked down. I want the Lower Center of gravity of the motors closer to the ground while still being able to turn.

I also picked up another Steering servo to run rear steer... Plan is to use it mixed, like 90:10 ratio for racing, while having the ability to stil run crab, full 4ws, front or rear steers like on my crawlers. I also setup "Dual ESC" controls, so now I have front or rear dig(not that I needed it) however, The ability to overdrive the front esc, does in fact improve steering a bunch! then you can over drive the rear ESC and have a clod drifter... Basically just having fun with this thing. I will say I am having more fun with the clod then my SMT.

lanky
Approved Member

Post by lanky » Fri May 05, 2017 8:18 pm

The fun has been continuing with my clod and its progression... swap some parts around from a few different builds... Threw in full bearings, Hot racing tubes. Fit some Axial sway bars, I also moved to a 5" shock, and painted up a more appropriate body. In an effort to gain some steering angle, I ordered CVD's, and Hot racing Knuckles. Truck handles extremely well, and im not sue I am going to pursue a new chassis. The adition of the sway's and longer shocks has this thing on rails, yet will suck up some big hits.

andymac0035
Administrator

Post by andymac0035 » Sat May 06, 2017 4:18 am

Is that the new traxxas Bigfoot body?
Either way... I'm liking what I see! :thumbsup:

lanky
Approved Member

Post by lanky » Sat May 06, 2017 12:55 pm

andymac0035 wrote:
Sat May 06, 2017 4:18 am
Is that the new traxxas Bigfoot body?
Either way... I'm liking what I see! :thumbsup:
Sure is Andy! for the price of the body with all accessories you really cant beat it...

dubbl-a
Approved Member

Post by dubbl-a » Wed May 10, 2017 12:52 pm

I like what I see too!
The new body looks great with the long wheelbase.

SWMS
Business Member

Post by SWMS » Wed May 10, 2017 2:43 pm

I like the new body! Simply yet good looking paint job.

lanky
Approved Member

Post by lanky » Thu May 11, 2017 11:05 pm

Thanks Guys! Been kicking around the idea of a different chassis, but I love the adjust ability of this setup. It flat out rips! I don't want to invest another couple hundred and not see a return.

lanky
Approved Member

Post by lanky » Tue May 23, 2017 11:19 pm

Still in love with this Clod... Added some thunndertech racing CVD's and straight axle's that I found in the garage! Suprisingly I havent broken much on it. some new boring video!

<iframe src="https://player.vimeo.com/video/218708326" width="640" height="360" frameborder="0" webkitallowfullscreen mozallowfullscreen allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe src="https://player.vimeo.com/video/218708423" width="640" height="360" frameborder="0" webkitallowfullscreen mozallowfullscreen allowfullscreen></iframe>

andymac0035
Administrator

Post by andymac0035 » Wed May 24, 2017 6:14 am

Pretty impressive! My only question would be how many times you've tagged one of those trees?.... :shock: