Advice needed: Making a super slow clodbuster

Talk about the Clod Buster, and all other motor on axle trucks here.
Want to see your truck featured on the home page? Enter our monthly contest in the general discussion section!
Forum rules
Want to see your truck featured on the home page? Enter our monthly contest in the general discussion section!
arampan

Advice needed: Making a super slow clodbuster

Post by arampan » Thu Dec 01, 2016 6:09 am

Hi everyone. A question from a noob. I have a super clodbuster. Everything is stock right now. I've not had another RC car nor am into RC racing. I want to convert my Clodbuster into an RC platform for video camera work.

What do I need to modify in order to get the clodbuster to move at a constant and slow pace? Gears? Motors? ESC?

I need speeds of between 1ft/sec to 3ft/sec

Basically I need slow speed and high torque.

I also see plenty of motor options available but I have no idea how many Turns is the current stock motor supplied by Tamiya

SFC K
Administrator

Re: Advice needed: Making a super slow clodbuster

Post by SFC K » Thu Dec 01, 2016 12:05 pm

Never had some ask this before that I can remember. Sounds like an interesting rig you intend to use the Clod for. What ESC and batteries do you plan on running with this?

First I would explore higher turn crawling motors. I think Holmes Hobbies makes up to a 65T brushed motor, but they can be expensive. 55T motors like from Axial are really cheap and easy to find. You could explore those first to see if it provides the speed you are looking for.

http://holmeshobbies.com/motors/brushed-motors.html

Unfortunately, Clods internal gears cannot be changed out, but you can work with adjustable motor mounts and decrease the size of the pinion (Stock is 13T) in conjunction with the higher turn motors and possibly get those speeds you are looking for.

I look forward to seeing your project on here.
Jeff

arampan

Post by arampan » Fri Dec 02, 2016 12:41 am

Thanks Jeff.

Changing the motor seems the the easiest option now. I have a few more questions.

1. I'm using the stock ESC that came with the super clod buster. Would I need to upgrade that if I upgraded the two motors?
2. The super clod buster has two motors and one appears to run in reverse. Would I need to look for motors that can run in reverse? if so, what's the technical term for them?
3. Just for comparison sake, I'd like to know the turns for the stock tamiya motors supplied, so I can get an benchmark to what I'm upgrading

SFC K
Administrator

Post by SFC K » Fri Dec 02, 2016 12:51 am

The Stock ESC is fine and can run two motors. No need to upgrade.

The Stock silver cans are 27T motors and are 540 size. Yes the rear does run in reverse, so if you were to order from Holmes Hobbies, they can build motors in both forward and reverse rotation.

Like I said previously, the Silver cans are 27T motors.

I know the price on the Holmes motors are pricy, but are highly rated. If you contacted them I bet them could give you recommendations for your application.
Jeff

Sixtys Guy
Approved Member

Post by Sixtys Guy » Fri Dec 02, 2016 9:55 am

I reckon for speeds that slow you will need really slow motors and gear reduction. Google 'script asylum speed calculator' and that should help. I did a rough calc and found you would need something like 8T pinions and 80T motors.

arampan

Post by arampan » Fri Dec 02, 2016 11:26 am

I figured I might be able to achieve ultra slow speeds if I have first have the right modifications, and a control that isn't so sensitive on the throttle

BloodClod
Approved Member

Post by BloodClod » Fri Dec 02, 2016 11:50 am

I think it depends on how far you want to go to achieve your results. I had great results with a gear reduction unit and stock silver cans. Get an esc with a crawler function (brake on neutral) and you can achieve very fine control.
... was once the totalitarian admin here trying to be god...

BloodClod
email: bloodclod@hotmail.com

arampan

Post by arampan » Fri Dec 02, 2016 1:07 pm

Gear reduction... hmmm... If I wanna try that, what should I get?

I'm guessing I can't simply swap out the pinion.

Do I have to change the gearbox? That seems like it would cost a fair bit just to get a custom gearbox.

Any recommendations?

132NHAF
Administrator

Post by 132NHAF » Fri Dec 02, 2016 2:27 pm

Another option is to get a controller with a throttle stop. You can set it as slow as you want.
Scott T

Stickers...Get your ClodTalk stickers here: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=25953

It's not WHAT toys you play with, but that you play with toys at all that is important.

SFC K
Administrator

Post by SFC K » Fri Dec 02, 2016 2:51 pm

arampan wrote:Gear reduction... hmmm... If I wanna try that, what should I get?

I'm guessing I can't simply swap out the pinion.

Do I have to change the gearbox? That seems like it would cost a fair bit just to get a custom gearbox.

Any recommendations?

You can get gear reduction units from RC4WD, but I don't think they would fit in-between the axle case and the motor in stock form with the ladder bars. Basically they mount in-between the motor and the case. You bolt them up to the motor and the pinion mounts on the outer shaft of the GRU which engages the main gear on the clod axle. A link to them is below.

http://store.rc4wd.com/Gear-Reduction-Unit_c_477.html
Jeff

jwscab

Post by jwscab » Fri Dec 02, 2016 3:00 pm

not sure what your ultimate plan is for this, with the slow moving clod. if you are not going to try and pull something and need all the torque, you might be able to run the highest gear reduction case you can find in that link, and power it with 380 size motors from a grasshopper. they will run either direction and have less power, but the gear multiplication ups the torque anyway. should be plenty to drive a clod around slow, and the smaller motor might fit with the gear reduction case.

arampan

Post by arampan » Mon Dec 12, 2016 6:24 am

Thanks guys, after reviewing all the advice given, I've just placed order for the 7 tooth pinion and the adjustable motor mount.

Sixtys Guy
Approved Member

Post by Sixtys Guy » Mon Dec 12, 2016 7:25 am

Let us know how you go!

arampan

Post by arampan » Fri Apr 21, 2017 11:21 am

Hi guys,

I finally put everything together. This video was created by mounting a 360° camera on a Clodbuster.

https://youtu.be/JP8B1e0Crds

My next problem is that the weight of the camera and gimbal adds up to about 1.5kg (3.3lbs). As you can tell from the video, the camera and gimbal is mounted high and produces a high center of gravity. My current suspension is a bit weak.

Can you guys recommend some very stiff springs please :?: