So what's next for me? Rebuild, or start fresh?

Talk about the Clod Buster, and all other motor on axle trucks here.
Want to see your truck featured on the home page? Enter our monthly contest in the general discussion section!
Forum rules
Want to see your truck featured on the home page? Enter our monthly contest in the general discussion section!
andymac0035
Administrator

So what's next for me? Rebuild, or start fresh?

Post by andymac0035 » Fri Jan 30, 2015 11:24 pm

My T2 Terminator clod is getting close to the point where I need to do something with it... or move on.

Moving on means a new clodbuster kit, and going back to my love of building using the stock chassis.

Or... re-do my Terminator.... which has some options:

Option #1
Put more titans in and just keep on trucking. This is doable obviously, but I had told myself that when these wear out, the truck was either "done" or getting re-built. The chassis is all bent and would need to be hammered flat again.

Option #2
Take the cantilevers off and go back to previous suspension set-up (shock extensions) put stock cans in it with stock gearing, and run a single 3S lipo. Stock cans are cheap enough, but I do not currently own any 3S lipo's. This makes the truck on the slow side, but it also makes it a better winter performer as it sheds wieght.

Option #3
Go brushless. While I personally officially do not care for castle and will not buy from them now, there are other waterproof options out there. This opens up a few things, as I could run a single 2S lipo and use the stock terminator battery location. I would lose low-speed ability, and that DOES come into play at times, but still.... it sheds battery weight.

Option #4
Re-build into a knew truck, most likely using wheely king chassis.
But I dunno... looked into it before and walked away.

Option #5
Make a crawler out of it..... Meh.... I dunno.... I just dunno..... and besides, I have the wraith for that.

Option #6
Sell/part-out/what-ever.... all good things must end sooner or later.
And also.... I'd be lying if I said I liked running wheel extensions and an aluminum chassis.
Truth is I want to re-visit the super-stocker type of clod and all the key components of this truck are modded and no longer suited for SS use.

So... it's pretty obvious what I'm leaning towards, but I figured I'd thow it out there to see if maybe there was something I didn't consider. (?)

JHeitt142
Approved Member

Re: So what's next for me? Rebuild, or start fresh?

Post by JHeitt142 » Sat Jan 31, 2015 12:14 am

Is it really that far off being able to bolt to a chopped up plastic tub? I get the suspension would require a re work. But couldn't you just chop the links accordingly/make new links and 4 link with a stock tub using what ever shocks (or the $5 HK ones, they're pretty darn good) This may also allow you to go titans again and keep your speed.

Tubs are dirt stinking cheap, you have all the expensive parts already, unless you do decide to go brushless again, that would take some initial layout.

If the terminator chassis is to beat to sell you can chop it up and use it to beef up the cut up tub :lol:

I personally would like to see you go SS again, simply because I think you had more to do before you sold it. I'd like to see what it does 4 linked with all that power.

What if you cut the Terminator chassis plates in half horizontally, screw them into the sides of the stock tub so the bottom is in line with the bottom of the stock tub drop down. and use them as the mounting points for your lower links still have that nice low battery mount that would now run right through the middle of the stock tub. then mount the shocks and upper links to the tub.

hmmmm, okay i'll stop now.

andymac0035
Administrator

Post by andymac0035 » Sat Jan 31, 2015 12:30 am

I never sold the super stocker. The chassis and suspension bits are all still in my parts bin. The axles went into T2. The problem is that the gearboxes are modded for big pinions, and that did away with the anti-rotational bracket bolts up (inside). Add to that the tubes where the ladder bars go are pretty worn. This is not an issue on a 4-link truck, but super-stocker = ladder bar suspension. I could just buy parts-trees I suppose. I have actually gone back and forth on that one.. parts-trees vs new kit.

JHeitt142
Approved Member

Post by JHeitt142 » Sat Jan 31, 2015 12:37 am

ohhhh see I figured you would go strait to 4 link this time around. You mentioned it so many times with the last one, assuming you could do a race style 4 link.

I would go parts trees, or even a used slider or something. They always seem to come up cheap on eBay. Unless you just really want to build another clod from the ground up, something I can understand, it's fun to build new trucks.

but then you aren't replacing this truck so much as adding another truck to the fleet. Which my be for the best anyway. If you had something you knew was always fun to drive and very low maintenance that may give you what you need to slowly chip away at rebuilding this one.

I say put this one on the shelf for a rainy day, build the SS again.

andymac0035
Administrator

Post by andymac0035 » Sat Jan 31, 2015 12:40 am

Slider is a good idea, but yeah, that's at war with new truck-build.
I have a full fleet of 5, I really should lose one if I gain one, 5 seems to be what works and space IS an issue....

I'm gonna think about that slider idea tho....

JHeitt142
Approved Member

Post by JHeitt142 » Sat Jan 31, 2015 1:23 am

I think the sliders make more sense unless you want a clod body for it. The bodies are so much to piece together that it makes more sense to get a kit if you want the body ha

Sixtys Guy
Approved Member

Post by Sixtys Guy » Sat Jan 31, 2015 4:30 am

#4!

rex21
Approved Member

Post by rex21 » Sat Jan 31, 2015 5:36 am

If you only need gear cases and tubes to return it to your SS, thats only about $40 worth of parts. A whole lot cheaper than a new kit since you have the rest of what you need.

andymac0035
Administrator

Post by andymac0035 » Sat Jan 31, 2015 6:36 am

I actually have tubes, have a new stock chassis as well as the old one.

What I think I need are the cases and probably new ladder bars (just to tighten things up).
Probably replace the axle supports as I drilled the threads out of the ones I have.

I was running the #'s tho.. and ya.... it seems to make more sense unless I want a clean slate... which I kinda' thought I did... but hmmm.....

And yes SG, if I re-use what I have I will pull out the WK chassis plates I have as well. :wink:

mrgrimm
Approved Member

Post by mrgrimm » Sat Jan 31, 2015 12:37 pm

I kind of like option #2

Hobbyking has really cheap 3s lipos, you just missed a 48 hour sale where 2200 20c 3s packs were $6 each from USA warehouse! make a parallel connector and bam, you could have had a 4400 mah 3s for $12 !!!

I always like simple and cheap - so naturally #2 would be my suggestion.

Some of these motors look OK for the price, I have tried the 45T on 3s and 4s in a crawler and I like them!

This one might be good in a CLod on 3s???
http://store.rc4wd.com/540-Crawler-Brus ... _4265.html
Monster trucks rule :)

GRAVETXT-1

Post by GRAVETXT-1 » Sat Jan 31, 2015 2:44 pm

Sixtys Guy wrote:#4!
X2!
Alex

Grim Reaper, Valhalla, Ford Of The Dead, Kings Bounty, Gauntlet, Gauntlet # 2, Clawing Dead, Tech Noir

SFC K
Administrator

Post by SFC K » Sat Jan 31, 2015 3:20 pm

GRAVETXT-1 wrote:
Sixtys Guy wrote:#4!
X2!
X3 =D>
Jeff

JHeitt142
Approved Member

Post by JHeitt142 » Sat Jan 31, 2015 5:02 pm

SS with MORE POWER!

Minotaur
Approved Member

Post by Minotaur » Tue Feb 03, 2015 5:22 pm

Well, I would look at this a different way. You have a fleet of RC trucks so what type of Clod expands the capabilities of your collection? Is there an environment you want to drive in, but nothing really fits? If so, the environment you want the truck to excel in will dictate the configuration.

In my mind, the battery location in the stock chassis is sub optimal as it raises the CG too high so I wouldn't do anything with the stock chassis. That said, you seem to enjoy the challenge of getting exceptional performance from the stock tub. Also, I find that the power, durability, and lack of maintenance on brushless motors far outweighs their slightly worse low speed performance.

While you are making up your mind, you can drop another set of Titan's into what you've got. Maybe find a way to reinforce the chassis so that it doesn't bend so much.

Personally, I'd prefer that you build a crazy fast brushless basher with an eye on durabilty because that would help me the most 8) I think I saw your 4x4 Stampede in another thread, so that probably isn't what you want to do...

Best of luck. Only you can decide. Of course, you could always build two Clod's...... Why limit it to just one?

andymac0035
Administrator

Post by andymac0035 » Tue Feb 03, 2015 11:43 pm

Minotaur wrote:Well, I would look at this a different way. You have a fleet of RC trucks so what type of Clod expands the capabilities of your collection?
A super stocker-type build.

Is there an environment you want to drive in, but nothing really fits? If so, the environment you want the truck to excel in will dictate the configuration.
That would be a snow-runner, which screams super-stocker.
In my mind, the battery location in the stock chassis is sub optimal as it raises the CG too high so I wouldn't do anything with the stock chassis.

Ah, but it keeps it up and out of the cold snow which helps run-times and also helps fight wieght transfer to the rear, very important in the snow.
That said, you seem to enjoy the challenge of getting exceptional performance from the stock tub.
Guilty as charged. :mrgreen:
Also, I find that the power, durability, and lack of maintenance on brushless motors far outweighs their slightly worse low speed performance.

To a point yes, and it is a very tough call there for me, but also very much on my mind.
While you are making up your mind, you can drop another set of Titan's into what you've got. Maybe find a way to reinforce the chassis so that it doesn't bend so much.
That would add weight on a chassis I'm trying to make lighter. My intentions were to do away with the titans after this go-round. The cantilevers that make it possible for the current titan set-up to even fit are proving to be on the flimsy side and I'm tired of seeing them flip over backwards every time I get too much air or hit too hard.
Personally, I'd prefer that you build a crazy fast brushless basher with an eye on durabilty because that would help me the most 8)
I know... I know.... but you need to come to terms with the fact that the only indestructable clod is the one that sits on a shelf and never gets played with. They are delicate, You find that "line" whith a build, and try not to cross it.... notice I said "try".... :explosion:

I think I saw your 4x4 Stampede in another thread, so that probably isn't what you want to do...
Guilty as charged.
Best of luck. Only you can decide. Of course, you could always build two Clod's...... Why limit it to just one?
It's a storage space and time management issue unfortunatley.... and sometimes a monetary one as well.

Right now, it's winter, we got lots of snow, but I've got one of the least capable clods for snow-duty I've ever built. It's not that it isn't capable, it goes better than anything else I own, but compared to what came before it, the bar is set pretty high.