Clod crawler build

Talk about the Clod Buster, and all other motor on axle trucks here.
Want to see your truck featured on the home page? Enter our monthly contest in the general discussion section!
Forum rules
Want to see your truck featured on the home page? Enter our monthly contest in the general discussion section!
HoosierClod

Clod crawler build

Post by HoosierClod » Sat Jan 03, 2015 1:12 am

I recently dug out my old Clod and decided to build it into a crawler. I built the chassis and suspension several years ago. The chassis plates are CNC cut and the links are 3/16" stainless. I originally built it with cantilevered shocks but I've gone with link mounted shocks to lower the CG and limit the articulation to 55*. It had nearly 90* with the cantilevers. I made the aluminum wheels years ago and narrowed them earlier this week. The tires are grooved to make them flex better and give better lateral grip. The electrics will be: 55turn Integy lathe motors, Novak Super Rooster ESC, and Hitec 645MG steering servo. I'll probably end up going to 4ws. On to the pics.

Before.

How it currently sits.

Adam

SFC K
Administrator

Re: Clod crawler build

Post by SFC K » Sat Jan 03, 2015 1:28 am

There are so many details on that chassis you built! It looks very well built. I like the upper link and lower rod mounts. Is there are reason why you removed the inboard shocks? I think you would get more articulation with that set-up.
Jeff

HoosierClod

Post by HoosierClod » Sat Jan 03, 2015 2:24 am

Thanks.

I removed the cantilever shocks to simplify the suspension and open up room on the axle braces to mount the steering servo. It will also lower the center of gravity a little. I am losing some articulation but a lot of the crawler guys say that there is such a thing as too much articulation.
Adam

andymac0035
Administrator

Post by andymac0035 » Sat Jan 03, 2015 2:30 am

Very inpressive machine-work there. :thumbsup:

rex21
Approved Member

Post by rex21 » Sat Jan 03, 2015 5:33 am

Very cool! Nice truck!

SFC K
Administrator

Post by SFC K » Sat Jan 03, 2015 2:51 pm

HoosierClod wrote:Thanks.

I removed the cantilever shocks to simplify the suspension and open up room on the axle braces to mount the steering servo. It will also lower the center of gravity a little. I am losing some articulation but a lot of the crawler guys say that there is such a thing as too much articulation.
Yes, too much articulation can hurt as well. Moving the bottom shock mount more towards the axles will give you a little more flex. The way you have them now seems too vertical. You may benefit by experimenting and pushing the bottom shock mounts out a little.

Are you going to run this in Super class or just for bashing? The reason I ask is those tires for Super class will hinder your performance. Narrower and taller tires will help a ton with navigating gates and preventing the bottom of the axles from hanging up. Adding knuckle weights will help too keeping the center of gravity low. I see them for sale from time to time on RCCrawler. Extending the wheel base will be great for its crawling ability too. For steering, they make a behind the axle kit to prevent the linkage from hanging up.

If your just bashing this on the rocks then leave it like it is and see how it does. They are fun trucks, but unfortunately the super class has been dead for a few years now. You don't see a lot of them being built anymore. Scale classes have taken over from 1.9 scale, 2.2 scale, and 2.2 pro.
Jeff

andymac0035
Administrator

Post by andymac0035 » Sat Jan 03, 2015 4:44 pm

SFC K wrote: Moving the bottom shock mount more towards the axles will give you a little more flex.

Actually Jeff you got that one backwards, if he moves his lower shock-mount away from the axle he will get more flex.

Having said that, I would move them outward also, but inward gives a ton of flex.

SFC K
Administrator

Post by SFC K » Sat Jan 03, 2015 5:02 pm

andymac0035 wrote:
SFC K wrote: Moving the bottom shock mount more towards the axles will give you a little more flex.

Actually Jeff you got that one backwards, if he moves his lower shock-mount away from the axle he will get more flex.

Having said that, I would move them outward also, but inward gives a ton of flex.
Not at that angle. Sorry but you are wrong this time. :mrgreen: Look at a super thread over on RCCrawler every super has the shocks laid out. Honestly, that chassis is not suited for crawling duties as the wheel base needs to be pushed way out.
Jeff

HoosierClod

Post by HoosierClod » Sat Jan 03, 2015 5:41 pm

I'm building it as a basher, not a competition crawler. The wheelbase is currently 12.75". I plan to eventually switch the tires and wheels for 2.2" ProLine TSL Super Swampers. The lower shock mounts are secured to the lower links with a set screw so they're simple to adjust. I'll mess with their placement to try different ride height and suspension travel settings. I may try longer shocks too.
Adam

JHeitt142
Approved Member

Post by JHeitt142 » Sat Jan 03, 2015 6:20 pm

I like your upper 4 link and servo mount.

andymac0035
Administrator

Post by andymac0035 » Sat Jan 03, 2015 7:25 pm

SFC K wrote:
Not at that angle. Sorry but you are wrong this time. :mrgreen:
Uhhh.... nope...... :nana: :butthead:

I based off of an experiment I did. I'm sure there is a set-up spec thing on RCC, but when I inverted the shocks on my old Z2.... I got more flex than the chassis could even clear... :mrgreen:
flex.JPG
flex.JPG (158.24 KiB) Viewed 2191 times

SFC K
Administrator

Post by SFC K » Sat Jan 03, 2015 7:44 pm

That is still not a comp super crawler. Nice try. :nana: That set-up would never survive a real super comp course. Just saying. :roll:
Jeff

andymac0035
Administrator

Post by andymac0035 » Sat Jan 03, 2015 7:54 pm

I never said it would, I'm simply referencing as it compares to the OP's current layout. ;)

HoosierClod

Post by HoosierClod » Sat Jan 03, 2015 10:36 pm

Calm down guys. I didn't mean to start an argument about shock placement and suspension geometry.
I moved the lower shock mounts closer to the axles and ended up losing quite a bit of travel so I moved them back where they were.
As I was cycling the suspension, I noticed that the lower shock mounts were coming too close to the motor endbell. I spaced out the lower links at the frame to gain more clearance. I made a mount to move my battery holder to the front of the frame above the front axle. If it ends up making the truck too top heavy I'll move it back to the bottom center of the frame.

With the suspension at full compression, the battery holder is about 3/8" from the upper links.

Adam

andymac0035
Administrator

Post by andymac0035 » Sun Jan 04, 2015 12:44 am

Nice, and if it's not tippy that will come in handy on accents ... decent may get interesting though.
And don't worry Jeff and I are just busting on each other. :)
Having said that.... told ya' so Jeff!.... :nana: :butthead: :rofl: