Got another Clod

Talk about the Clod Buster, and all other motor on axle trucks here.
Want to see your truck featured on the home page? Enter our monthly contest in the general discussion section!
Forum rules
Want to see your truck featured on the home page? Enter our monthly contest in the general discussion section!
mrgrimm
Approved Member

Re: Got another Clod

Post by mrgrimm » Tue Nov 25, 2014 3:55 am

Mee too the more I stare at it, some of them CPE planetary hubs in black would be nice. Hard to spend money on something like that when there are performance things to buy though...Oh man the never ending battle of looks vs. performance mods haha.
Monster trucks rule :)

mrgrimm
Approved Member

Post by mrgrimm » Wed Nov 26, 2014 2:03 am

I came up with a free solution to look a like planetary hubs tonight. Found these little rubber things in one of my many junk drawers in the garage and they pop right over the wheel nut nicely! They don't look nearly as good as CPE's, and have no detail but for temporary and free I'm diggin' it!

I ran it for about 10 minutes in the basement jumping a coiled up garden hose lol, and they stayed put.

Also, I have been thinking that maybe I can continue to run the stock plastic links if I just move the lower shock mounting to the axle supports. I have been breaking the plastic links where the outer most shock mounts, but I would need some shocks that are much shorter to keep the stock ride height, any ideas about what length? I am going to buy the CPE dual shock mount kit. http://crawfordperformanceengineering.c ... cts_id=605

ImageWP_20141125_003 by mrgrimm1, on Flickr

ImageWP_20141125_002 by mrgrimm1, on Flickr

SFC K
Administrator

Post by SFC K » Thu Nov 27, 2014 1:58 am

That looks really nice in the black out look of the body. Those shock mounts are nice but to figure out a length, just measure from the upper brace to the bottom shock mount and subtract from the full length Clod shock.
Jeff

mrgrimm
Approved Member

Post by mrgrimm » Thu Nov 27, 2014 3:42 am

It's simple and plain, but I have always liked the black out look, probably over 90% of RC's I have owned I just black out.

Hmm, yeah simple enough on the shocks. I could always fab up some upper mounts with additional holes to give me a little wiggle room up or down on ride height too.

mrgrimm
Approved Member

Post by mrgrimm » Wed Dec 10, 2014 1:29 am

I bought a couple items during the black friday deals for this Clod, I'll try tomorrow to post up some pics of the changes. Nothing major and I still want to do more but slow and steady is the name of the game for me this time.

SFC K
Administrator

Post by SFC K » Wed Dec 10, 2014 2:40 am

Slow and steady, does win races... :wink:
Jeff

mrgrimm
Approved Member

Post by mrgrimm » Sun Dec 14, 2014 7:32 pm

Had some fun at a construction site today, as you can see I changed over to a red chassis and also installed a CPE center brace, some decals, some additional paintwork, and a roll bar.

I have one of them ebay sassy knockoff chassis sitting here but can't decide if I want to put it on this truck or maybe just start another Clod project? I am afraid I will miss the sound and feel of a stock chassis Clod if I start putting more aluminum on this one.

Hope you all like the pics!

ImageDSC07618 by mrgrimm1, on Flickr

ImageDSC07614 by mrgrimm1, on Flickr

ImageDSC07610 by mrgrimm1, on Flickr

ImageDSC07609 by mrgrimm1, on Flickr

ImageDSC07605 by mrgrimm1, on Flickr

ImageDSC07603 by mrgrimm1, on Flickr

ImageDSC07580 by mrgrimm1, on Flickr

ImageDSC07579 by mrgrimm1, on Flickr

ImageDSC07611 by mrgrimm1, on Flickr

rex21
Approved Member

Post by rex21 » Sun Dec 14, 2014 8:06 pm

Those are some cool pics! Nice truck!

SFC K
Administrator

Post by SFC K » Sun Dec 14, 2014 8:23 pm

Those are some cool pictures! I really like the second one! 8)
Jeff

mrgrimm
Approved Member

Post by mrgrimm » Sun Dec 14, 2014 10:15 pm

Thanks! I took them myself while driving. All the poser shots were taken first and just as I started to get the hang of taking some action shots the battery dies in my camera :cry:

I think next weekend I will try again, there is a nice sand pile there that is just begging to be conquered :P should hopefully make for cool pics with some sand roost!

DarkSammy
Approved Member

Post by DarkSammy » Mon Dec 15, 2014 3:53 am

Make sure you enter a bashing pic into truck of the month, you will get my vote grimm!
TTR Centurion LTD, TTR Tremor, TTR Ripper Pro, Gorillamaxx G4, Gorillamaxx G1, Centralemaxx Ph@ntom, DUH Engineering Titan.

mrgrimm
Approved Member

Post by mrgrimm » Sat Jan 17, 2015 5:19 pm

Been tinkering more with the Clod and while things are changing on it, it still holds that retro appeal IMO. As long as the body stays boxy, wheelbase stays relatively short, sits high, and uses Clod sized wheels then it works for me!

I REALLY need to get a set of matching 8 shocks, but this works for now. roll bar lights, rear bumper, tailgate too!

I am going to paint the whole body green I think, the flat black bottom just isn't doing it for me anymore. I added a triple carb setup from a USA-1 to the hood.

Notice the chassis is cut out for twin packs, I plan on running a pair of 4000mah 2s lipos with an EVX-2 and Revo or Maxx Titans. I remember that setup doing pretty well on 4s! Just need to get some additional plastic battery covers to finish it up.

Also found out that the cheap little plastic screw on hubs that come with Axial kits screw right on the Clod for the non-planetary old school MT wheel look.

ImageWP_20150113_003 by mrgrimm1, on Flickr

Skinner
Approved Member

Post by Skinner » Sat Jan 17, 2015 6:01 pm

Looks good, I like the old school classic looks it still retains. Is that the sassy knock off chassis in last pic?
5b baja-lx2e-clodbuster-mcx2 & more!!

~Pat~

ramflames
Approved Member

Post by ramflames » Sat Jan 17, 2015 8:40 pm

This truck has been reborn. Nice job!

mrgrimm
Approved Member

Post by mrgrimm » Sat Jan 17, 2015 9:54 pm

Yep its one of them sassy re-makes on ebay. Not too bad, but wish the guy would have done a little more cutting for more clearance in some areas. With the stock steering setup it hits the chassis pretty bad and I broke the stock axle mounted savers today because of it. It's Ok though, I went ahead and removed the central chassis mounted servo and plan on adding axle mounted steering to resolve the issue.

Added a couple extra dampers I had laying around and just painted the whole thing green.

ImageWP_20150117_006 by mrgrimm1, on Flickr