The Clod Factor

Talk about the Clod Buster, and all other motor on axle trucks here.
Want to see your truck featured on the home page? Enter our monthly contest in the general discussion section!
Forum rules
Want to see your truck featured on the home page? Enter our monthly contest in the general discussion section!
Sixtys Guy
Approved Member

The Clod Factor

Post by Sixtys Guy » Mon Jun 09, 2014 9:57 am

I have been intrigued by the XTM X-Factor since I saw it on the net somewhere. I managed to pick up one on Ebay, minus the motor for $60. The plan was to remove the transmission and convert it to electric, possibly with a TXT transmission. Once it arrived and I opened the box I was a little disappointed, but for $60 I probably shouldn't be! The front diff doesn't work (both wheels free spin) and the front drive shaft was missing. Some of the shocks are bent and one of the suspension arms was broken. I decided that I couldn't be bothered repairing the diff, so I stripped the truck down to see what I could salvage. The suspension design borrows heavily from the TXT-1. The upper and lower links are identical to the TXT-1, as are the dimensions of the mounting points to the chassis. The cantilevers are identical as well, which is great, because the plastic used on the XTM is really bendy. I can replace these with the unused cantilevers supplied with the TXT-2 kit. The plastic cantilever mounts on the chassis are soft to, but these can be replaced with aluminium angle.

The plan is to put Clod axles on this and keep the cantilever suspension, although I am finding some challenges with this. I have a body painted and ready to go. The project has stalled somewhat as the Clod diffs that I had set aside for this are both locked and I decided to use them on another project instead. I have some more on the way. Until then the project will have to wait a while.

Pics;
This is not mine, but how they look as new.

And mine as I received it;

Luarana
Approved Member

Re: The Clod Factor

Post by Luarana » Mon Jun 09, 2014 10:03 am

wow that is really a bargain for 60 bucks

Are you going to run stock Clod Axles? and what sort of motor you going to throw at it??

Sixtys Guy
Approved Member

Post by Sixtys Guy » Mon Jun 09, 2014 10:15 am

Yes, stock Clod axles. I have a VXL esc and a couple of Firebolt 15T's so they will get the go at the start.

GRAVETXT-1

Post by GRAVETXT-1 » Mon Jun 09, 2014 1:58 pm

Aha so you decided to do a build thread afterall :wink: :thumbsup: interesting chassis for sure will look uber cool once you get some clod axle action going.

Yep looks a lot like txt-1 design in places which is no bad thing :) .
Alex

Grim Reaper, Valhalla, Ford Of The Dead, Kings Bounty, Gauntlet, Gauntlet # 2, Clawing Dead, Tech Noir

Sixtys Guy
Approved Member

Post by Sixtys Guy » Mon Jun 09, 2014 9:26 pm

Yes Alex, decided to put it up! Just waiting on the new axles now to get going again.

Sixtys Guy
Approved Member

Post by Sixtys Guy » Wed Jun 25, 2014 10:38 am

I got the new axles in and have most of the truck together. I need to put some finishing touches on and change a couple of things. Then for testing! I locked the rear diff on this one... not sure if that was a great idea, but I can unlock it if I don't like it. A little undecided on electrics. I think I will go with Firebolts on 3S. The body is a TXT-1 body that I painted. This was the only body that I had that was wide enough to cater for the cantilever shock setup. The Monster Energy decals that I bought off Ebay are pretty average. They are not as sticky as I would like and a couple of them have peeled a bit. I finally found a truck that the Rumbles look ok on! I'm not sure, but I think I will de chrome the TXT wheels and paint them black. It's been a fun build so far!

Sixtys Guy
Approved Member

Post by Sixtys Guy » Wed Jul 02, 2014 3:21 am

Done! I de-chromed the wheels and painted them black. Also got the electrics in. Firebolts on 3S with a VXL esc. Took it for a run this morning.... very stable in corners, a little front heavy on jumps. Only got to run it for 10 minutes or so as I broke a rear knuckle. Not sure if it is old plastic (just bought the axles off ebay) or if my home made lockouts contributed. I will remove the rear locker.... not even really sure why I put it in there! I will try to use the wheelie bar off the X Factor as well as it wheelies quite easily. All in all I'm quite happy with how it turned out. Can't wait for Friday so I can do some more testing!

All up it is made of;
* X-Factor side plates
* X-Factor 4 Links
* Clod Axles
* JPS front Bumper/Servo Mount
* RC Guy Adjustable Upper 4 Link Mounts
* Level 3 Lower Shock / Link Mounts
* Level 3 Axle Stiffeners
* Thunder Tech Racing 32mm Wheel Wideners
* TXT-1 Body
* HPI Firebolt 15T Motors
* 13T Pinions
* Traxxas Maxx Shocks - not sure on brand of springs
* Traxxas VXL-3S ESC
* Towerpro MG995 Servo
* Home made rear lockout (machine washers)
* Polycarbonate electronics/battery tray
* TXT-1 Cantilevers

Last edited by Sixtys Guy on Wed Jul 02, 2014 7:26 am, edited 1 time in total.

rex21
Approved Member

Post by rex21 » Wed Jul 02, 2014 4:37 am

That turned out really nice! :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Sixtys Guy
Approved Member

Post by Sixtys Guy » Wed Jul 02, 2014 6:18 am

I didn't realise how bad those pics are... I took them on my phone as I seem to have misplaced my camera :oops:

GRAVETXT-1

Post by GRAVETXT-1 » Wed Jul 02, 2014 12:29 pm

The Clod doctor has been at it again :P 8) so the Clod Factor is the only one in the world =D> =D> =D> .

I bet the handling is excellent with the cantilever suspension not surprised you cannot wait to run it again. Like how you made your own upper chassis rails and body mounts. Nice clean looking body mount design too.

You make creating one off trucks seem easy when it is not :thumbsup: .

Photos not to bad Mark, picture no. 3 is killer. Cool looking truck.
Alex

Grim Reaper, Valhalla, Ford Of The Dead, Kings Bounty, Gauntlet, Gauntlet # 2, Clawing Dead, Tech Noir

Sixtys Guy
Approved Member

Post by Sixtys Guy » Wed Jul 02, 2014 1:36 pm

GRAVETXT-1 wrote:The Clod doctor has been at it again :P 8) so the Clod Factor is the only one in the world =D> =D> =D> .
LOL, thanks Alex. Sadly though, I can't claim to have the only Clod Factor nor the first! I actually found this after I started on mine, it looks like I even stole the name! viewtopic.php?f=46&t=28978&hilit=xtm
GRAVETXT-1 wrote:I bet the handling is excellent with the cantilever suspension not surprised you cannot wait to run it again. Like how you made your own upper chassis rails and body mounts. Nice clean looking body mount design too.

You make creating one off trucks seem easy when it is not :thumbsup: .

Photos not to bad Mark, picture no. 3 is killer. Cool looking truck.
The trucks I have morphed together have gone fairly smoothly. There is a little bit of trial and error, but it is fun. It handles really well, not bumpy at all like my other trucks. I knocked off work at a decent hour today, so I got to have another test run. It does nose dive pretty bad, but I spent tonight addressing that. I moved the battery back 40mm. Unfortunately this also meant that I had to raise it 20mm. I also raised the upper link mount on the chassis. I wasn't really happy where it was, but I couldn't move it up any further as it would have hit the electronics tray. Now with the extra space I managed to lift them up a bit. I haven't run it again yet, but I should get a chance for a quick test in the morning.

SFC K
Administrator

Post by SFC K » Sat Jul 05, 2014 1:24 pm

This was a great idea for a chassis swap. I like the name chosen for it too. :wink:
Jeff

Sixtys Guy
Approved Member

Post by Sixtys Guy » Sat Jul 19, 2014 2:16 am

SFC K wrote:This was a great idea for a chassis swap. I like the name chosen for it too. :wink:
Thanks Jeff!

I managed to get the truck jumping better. It wasn't until I started playing around with my TXT-1 that I realised that maybe the shocks needed stiffer springs. I tried a few and came up with Red Maxx springs on the front and Associated Monster GT Blue springs on the rear (with a small pre load spacer). I also fitted the X-Factor sway bars back on. It now handles great!

I had to re do my lockout as I broke a couple of knuckles and tubes with my home made machine washer lock outs. I made another lockout using the stock steeirng rods and a front servo mount. I have to re do it again though as there is too much leverage on the ball mounts. I think the local hobby shop had Dubro ends so I will redo them using those.

I've never been into racing, but this truck makes me want to race!

A few pics from this morning;

I think this one came up good!

rex21
Approved Member

Post by rex21 » Sat Jul 19, 2014 3:27 am

Nice action pics! =D>
Don't know if I missed it above, but what wheels are those?

I'm going to have to steel you can jump idea, thats awesome! Did you use liquid nails to put them down?

Sixtys Guy
Approved Member

Post by Sixtys Guy » Sat Jul 19, 2014 4:12 am

rex21 wrote:Nice action pics! =D>
Don't know if I missed it above, but what wheels are those?

I'm going to have to steel you can jump idea, thats awesome! Did you use liquid nails to put them down?
Wheels are TXT-1, de-chromed and painted black. I'm using TTR 32mm wideners as well.

The can stack is great! And yes just liquid nails to stick them down onto a sheet of plywood.