Old Skool Clod build

Talk about the Clod Buster, and all other motor on axle trucks here.
Want to see your truck featured on the home page? Enter our monthly contest in the general discussion section!
Forum rules
Want to see your truck featured on the home page? Enter our monthly contest in the general discussion section!
GRAVETXT-1

Re: Old Skool Clod build

Post by GRAVETXT-1 » Sat Jun 07, 2014 12:21 pm

Good luck with the lower links Marty :thumbsup: has to be one of the best stock chassis retro looking clods I have seen in a long while. And its not even completed yet!

Cant wait to see what theme and paint job you come up with :popcorn:
Alex

Grim Reaper, Valhalla, Ford Of The Dead, Kings Bounty, Gauntlet, Gauntlet # 2, Clawing Dead

80's MonsterMan
Approved Member

Post by 80's MonsterMan » Sun Jun 08, 2014 1:59 am

Thanks Andy, well I half to be truthful I will be very cautious playing with it. But, I assure you guys this will be driven thats the whole reason for building it. I just want a certain vintage look and the Clod can pull this off pretty easy.

Alex, thank you bro for the kind words.

I put 100% into every build I do including my small scale stuff. This one will be no exception everything done to the best of my abilities I assure you my friend. :wink: :mrgreen:

CowboyClod
Approved Member

Post by CowboyClod » Sun Jun 08, 2014 2:42 am

That's coming along very well Marty!! Now get that dang hood tilted :mrgreen: :lol:

80's MonsterMan
Approved Member

Post by 80's MonsterMan » Sun Jun 08, 2014 3:09 am

Yes sir Dan my man I'm on it. :lol: got the tracking # from hardware source last Thursday. My alum. Hinge should be here Mon or Tues at the latest. After it arrives take me about 2 days to get it mounted.
CowboyClod wrote:That's coming along very well Marty!! Now get that dang hood tilted :mrgreen: :lol:

CowboyClod
Approved Member

Post by CowboyClod » Sun Jun 08, 2014 3:40 am

Yeah I understand what you mean. With the (5S) organizing program things can take up to two days or more to complete and that's with five guys holding up a ladder :mrgreen:

80's MonsterMan
Approved Member

Post by 80's MonsterMan » Sun Jun 08, 2014 6:45 am

Alright guys, the lower 4 link has officially kicked my butt! I got it perfect but man I could have messed this up so many times guessing. The geometry wasn't nothing like I thought it would be. I had the lower links towed outward but this was not the case they were inward some lol. Imagine that I almost drilled to before hand!! :shock: Then all that work would have been down the crapper :evil: :lol: My motto " measure twice drill once lol. Those lower 4 link brackets were a nightmare to fab want no part I redo's on those. Check the photos out it works but I had to use two conical washers on each side because the links were binding!! :evil: I just hope this doesn't make the bolt the leverage point because of the length, lmk what you guys think on this. I'm ok because I'm not going to bash this truck so I think it will be ok on the extra length of bolt. And no direct hits here "ANDY" LOL :lol: it should be fine I think. Man so many variable going on here with the geometry I'm just really lucky it checked out as great as it did. My OCD payed off for once in my life. :?

Here's a better shot of the bolts and the leverage was talking about. I think it will be fine but still have some slight concern over it.

Ok, to the good stuff here! You guy's got to admit for this truck to have 16 shocks it has decent articulation. 8) I would have never dreamed this truck could articulate this high. Granted I wanted this truck to look just like a monster truck time warped from the 80's I think I'm getting there maybe. Its still a HEAVY truck and a monstrosity don't get e wrong but that's what i'm after on this build. :)

andymac0035
Administrator

Post by andymac0035 » Sun Jun 08, 2014 12:53 pm

Looks good to me. Only thing I would suggest is drilling through the 2nd set of holes (into the chassis) for your brackets, because yes, there is lots of leverage there, and those will pivot on you if you leave it like that.

Very nice work. :thumbsup:

CowboyClod
Approved Member

Post by CowboyClod » Sun Jun 08, 2014 1:17 pm

Hey!! Marty.

you think you can make me one of those chassis braces you got on under the center of the chassis? I just had to ask :mrgreen: :lol:

80's MonsterMan
Approved Member

Post by 80's MonsterMan » Sun Jun 08, 2014 3:39 pm

Andy, yeah I'm going to grill through those holes. I just wanted to make dang sure I had everything "right" before I drill those. Moving those brackets the very least messes with my geometry pretty bad.

Dan, I can make you one of those but it will cost you. This one was my prototype these are going into production you know, you can be the first customer to get one. :lol: :mrgreen: 8)

andymac0035 wrote:Looks good to me. Only thing I would suggest is drilling through the 2nd set of holes (into the chassis) for your brackets, because yes, there is lots of leverage there, and those will pivot on you if you leave it like that.

Very nice work. :thumbsup:

80's MonsterMan
Approved Member

Post by 80's MonsterMan » Thu Jun 12, 2014 12:00 am

Ok, I finally figured out why my lower 4 link drop brackets were not working like I wanted them to. Two of the lower links were slightly off on the bend angle. This was why in the previous photos the brackets were mounted backwards. Tore it all down and just started going over every parts because I know the way I had designed the brackets and the custom links this should have worked perfect. So that was the problem now it is perfect the way I had wanted it from the start.

Alright, I decided to trash the hardcore lower chassis brace lol. It was way to heavy and way to overkill. So all it has now is the side aluminum braces.

Everything has turned out great so far the suspension is done.

Btw, got my aluminum hinge for the tilt hood.

Now for all the styrene work, got a lot to do.

CowboyClod
Approved Member

Post by CowboyClod » Thu Jun 12, 2014 1:43 am

Hey Marty!! did you know that CPE has Clod Chassis brace? Not sure if that's where you got it from or you fabricated it yourself.

http://www.crawfordperformanceengineeri ... cts_id=703

BTW I like to see how you cut that hood step by step.

80's MonsterMan
Approved Member

Post by 80's MonsterMan » Tue Jun 17, 2014 8:34 pm

Bad news about the body, it got sit in the wrong spot and took a tumble today. Well its trashed, the roof is completely split in half. Oh well, at least I hadn't done too much work on it yet.

This mishap also got me thinking about how fragile it really is. I would like to find a pressed steel truck body, maybe something by Tonka or Nylint. Nylint has some nice truck bodies but, I don't think the are the correct size and wheel base for the Clod.

Do any of you guys know of any truck bodies that are a perfect fit for the Clod?

andymac0035
Administrator

Post by andymac0035 » Tue Jun 17, 2014 10:13 pm

Did you have the window piece in place when this happened?

CowboyClod
Approved Member

Post by CowboyClod » Wed Jun 18, 2014 12:55 am

Hoy!! what are you doing throwing stuff around like that? beating the life out of your Clod and making it crash on the floor and then do a dance on top of it. Shame on you! :banned: :mrgreen:

GRAVETXT-1

Post by GRAVETXT-1 » Thu Jun 19, 2014 12:15 pm

Sorry to hear this :( well I trawled the net and came upon "15 inches long Tonka truck ford, chevy, gmc dodge pressed steel made in usa" listed on ebay usa. Still dont know how to do links :oops: cue andy :popcorn: .

Have to be quick though only 7 hours to go no bids yet seems cheap too.
Attachments
$_57.jpg
$_57.jpg (215.26 KiB) Viewed 666 times
Alex

Grim Reaper, Valhalla, Ford Of The Dead, Kings Bounty, Gauntlet, Gauntlet # 2, Clawing Dead