Old Skool Clod build

Talk about the Clod Buster, and all other motor on axle trucks here.
Want to see your truck featured on the home page? Enter our monthly contest in the general discussion section!
Forum rules
Want to see your truck featured on the home page? Enter our monthly contest in the general discussion section!
80's MonsterMan
Approved Member

Re: Old Skool Clod build

Post by 80's MonsterMan » Fri May 23, 2014 12:54 pm

Thanks Dan! Oh yeah the body is going to heavily altered. :wink: I'm going to separate the bed from the cab and make the front clip tilt. Got some aluminum hinge coming for the tilt job. Sunroof will be filled in hood will be altered more to accept a trio of predator carbs I got coming for the scale engine CPE has. Gotta go with the predators for the ultimate vintage look. Also going to make my own custom headers out of aluminum tubing and run it out the bottom of the chassis near where the oil pan is molded. Got some more new pic's uploaded to photobucket of some body work done but want to wait until I get the rest of the custom body mounts made before I share. :mrgreen:

CowboyClod wrote:love the shocks Marty :thumbsup: . Have any special plans with the body at all?

I wish RC4WD get their minds in gear and get some scale shocks in. Always out of stock on the 110 ultimate scale.

I want those for BB&B

TamiyaTony
Approved Member

Post by TamiyaTony » Wed May 28, 2014 3:25 am

I like this build. Very nice bespoke engineering here. You did a great job solving your suspension dilemma. It's always cool to see those fabulous quad shock setups.
My son... ask for thyself another kingdom... for that which I leave is too small for thee.

80's MonsterMan
Approved Member

Post by 80's MonsterMan » Sat May 31, 2014 4:19 am

Thanks for the compliments Tony I appreciate it. 8) Yeah I have always wanted to build one for a few years w/ the 16 shocks. I still got plenty of fabbing to do to this beast, I haven't even really started on the body. Since the bed, cab and front end all will be cut apart the mounts half to be made for each very time consuming.
TamiyaTony wrote:I like this build. Very nice bespoke engineering here. You did a great job solving your suspension dilemma. It's always cool to see those fabulous quad shock setups.

80's MonsterMan
Approved Member

Post by 80's MonsterMan » Sun Jun 01, 2014 3:59 am

Sorry for the double post guys. :oops:

Well here's all I've got done over the this past week and this weekend. Man crazy busy week and today we went car shopping all but did buy 2 new cars. So, it was worth the hassle lol.

A shot of it with the bumper just taped to see where I wanted it located at.

Oh man, got my custom 4 links in from Brett yesterday. These are bada$$$ Brett is a great fabricator these are spot on thanks Brett!!

Finally, got all 4 of the lower 4 link drop brackets made. These were without a doubt the hardest part of the build so far to get all in the same spec's. :evil: Because I use hand tools and these were only 16mm across you can imagine the frustration trying to get them all perfect. I messed up many times on these, best thing to do is just step back and not mess with it for a while until you get clear thinking.

Now these will all be angle cut to meet where the actual 4 link bolt goes through. But that will be after I mock up the chassis again to make sure all the geometry is correct. I DO NOT want to make these again lol. :shock: :lol:

Here's where I'm at with the body mounts. These are not hard to make but just haven't had much time this past week or this weekend to mess with them or anything for that matter. These pic's might not explain what I'm doing but, there is a method to my madness lol. It will make more sense once I'm done and upload more pic's so you can see what I'm doing. But it will look really good trust me. Dan, aka: CowboyClod these might interest you bro. :wink:

First, I had to decide to move the hood line out more exactly 10mm to give the cowl panel more "meat" in case of breakage. You can see my new score line in the black radiused out to see the difference it will make in the structure stability. Cutting the hood on the original line to me was going to make the cab extremely weak so this will help a lot.
And those two holes on either side of the cowl panel will be for the front of the cab mounts. Also it will have a firewall made that is directly superglued to the under side of the cowl. So it will be strong enough to allow for the worry free tilt front end.

Here's what is going on under the body to mount to chassis. These two alum. strips are 1/16 so not very heavy lol will be for the rear of cab and front of cab. Again this probably doesn't make no sense until I have more pics hopefully this week I can fire into it and get them done to show you guys.

This pic here shows how I'm mounting the rear of the cab two holes below the b-pillars.

This next pic shows the rear cab aluminum mounts. Haven't got the angle brackets made yet to mount them but this week hopefully.

Since the front end will tilt the bumper has to be mounted to the lower valance panel. Mocked it up but the bumper was pointed down slightly.

And me being the OCD person that I am I had to fix this lol. Not bad to fix but, more time and work some larger dia. "rod styrene" will get it done. This will allow me to angle it perfect then super glue the styrene rod into the valance panel and fill.

Oh yeah, been working on lightening this beast up some. I got the rear section of the truck figured out so I went ahead and got the rear alum. brace cut out. Man this lightened it up a lot the 1/8" alum. is pretty heavy.

I kinda got an idea where I'm going to cut out the front brace. But, I'll wait until I get the alum. hinge mounted for the tilt front end.
Last edited by 80's MonsterMan on Sun Jun 01, 2014 3:28 pm, edited 2 times in total.

andymac0035
Administrator

Post by andymac0035 » Sun Jun 01, 2014 4:28 am

Pretty nice work! :thumbsup:

I must ask, you ever see how I make braces like that for the stock chassis?
If you haven't... you will.... :rofl:

80's MonsterMan
Approved Member

Post by 80's MonsterMan » Sun Jun 01, 2014 4:44 am

Thanks my man Andy! 8)

Lol, I havent seen the "braces" heck throw them out show them bro. I know that you know what you are doing no matter how quick you made them you are a clod master bro. :wink: :thumbsup:

andymac0035 wrote:Pretty nice work! :thumbsup:

I must ask, you ever see how I make braces like that for the stock chassis?
If you haven't... you will.... :rofl:

andymac0035
Administrator

Post by andymac0035 » Sun Jun 01, 2014 4:56 am

The steel wrap off of a titan 550 motor, pounded flat, and "V"-ed with a pair of tin-snips.
Cheap... simple.... and very effective. :mrgreen:

80's MonsterMan
Approved Member

Post by 80's MonsterMan » Sun Jun 01, 2014 5:13 am

Andy, respect here bro.

You are very awesome at these trucks man it dosen't matter the look it works and works perfect. :wink: And beside I know if you wanted to you could fab this stuff just as good. Heck you know and I know this will pretty much be a shelf queen I'm building. I will play with it a lot but, with no chance of it flipping over is, or nothing like that. I can build another for my "wild side" lol.

And, I got to give you props you did an amazing job flattening out that housing. Good god it's almost perfectly flat lol. Have you dabbled in body work on 1:1 cars? I use to own my own custom body shop specializing in fabrication and restoration.
andymac0035 wrote:The steel wrap off of a titan 550 motor, pounded flat, and "V"-ed with a pair of tin-snips.
Cheap... simple.... and very effective. :mrgreen:

GRAVETXT-1

Post by GRAVETXT-1 » Sun Jun 01, 2014 4:00 pm

Exceptional truck Marty and me thinks you have the patience of a saint O:) :thumbsup: .

Have you considered naming your truck or the paintjob yet? Just a suggestion you could call this truck GAUNTLET as you have put so much blood sweat and tears into this truck taken on a challenge and won.

You could have a black body with Gauntlet written on the doors and bit of rear bed (high roller truck style). Lettering done in goldish colour olde world font style. Don't think any 1:1 monster trucks have used that name yet kinda catchy. Just an idea.
Attachments
5308eff2010eb.jpg
5308eff2010eb.jpg (161.61 KiB) Viewed 903 times
mkhKxiyV.jpg
mkhKxiyV.jpg (20.21 KiB) Viewed 903 times
Alex

Grim Reaper, Valhalla, Ford Of The Dead, Kings Bounty, Gauntlet, Gauntlet # 2, Clawing Dead, Tech Noir

80's MonsterMan
Approved Member

Post by 80's MonsterMan » Mon Jun 02, 2014 1:29 am

Thank you Alex for the kind words buddy!

Yeah there is a lot of fabbing on this build and a ton more still to do. But, I enjoy it and I take my time to make sure its all a good as I can get it.

About the name and color yeah I have something in mind just not concrete yet. That's is a very good name and scheme you mentioned man. I'm intrigued I like the font you showed on the G it looks like one of my favorite video games ever Gauntlet Legends lol!! Heck shoot me more of the ideas on this I dig it a lot.

GRAVETXT-1 wrote:Exceptional truck Marty and me thinks you have the patience of a saint O:) :thumbsup: .

Have you considered naming your truck or the paintjob yet? Just a suggestion you could call this truck GAUNTLET as you have put so much blood sweat and tears into this truck taken on a challenge and won.

You could have a black body with Gauntlet written on the doors and bit of rear bed (high roller truck style). Lettering done in goldish colour olde world font style. Don't think any 1:1 monster trucks have used that name yet kinda catchy. Just an idea.

GRAVETXT-1

Post by GRAVETXT-1 » Mon Jun 02, 2014 7:59 pm

Ah a fellow pc gamer 8) funny you should mention vintage gauntlet as they are releasing a brand new gauntlet for pc in September this year. That is where I got the font style from :wink: .
Alex

Grim Reaper, Valhalla, Ford Of The Dead, Kings Bounty, Gauntlet, Gauntlet # 2, Clawing Dead, Tech Noir

CowboyClod
Approved Member

Post by CowboyClod » Tue Jun 03, 2014 10:53 pm

Looking good Marty

andymac0035
Administrator

Post by andymac0035 » Wed Jun 04, 2014 5:17 am

80's MonsterMan wrote: And, I got to give you props you did an amazing job flattening out that housing. Good god it's almost perfectly flat lol. Have you dabbled in body work on 1:1 cars?
I've fixed a few fenders...... not my favorite thing to do.... but a good skill to have.

I like the Gauntlet angle as well. :thumbsup:

80's MonsterMan
Approved Member

Post by 80's MonsterMan » Sat Jun 07, 2014 5:09 am

Thanks Andy, The Gauntlet name was all Alex's. :mrgreen: Its killer angle to go with but, I got another name for it also so still deciding.

Got a few things done this week, not as much as I liked to but anything is better than nothing.

Got the bed mounts made.

You can see in this photo below the length of the bed mounts going down into the chassis. The two lower bolts will be used to mount the battery tray and a brace that will connect the two bed mounts. Because the plastic has been cut almost to nothing in the rear.

Got the upper 4 links mounted, also marked the lower ones on the new drop brackets I made. Going to drill them out tomorrow and angle cut them. Everything worked perfect here really surprised it went so smooth "fingers crossed" :lol:

Had to throw on the wheels and body to get a shot of the Muscle Machine motor I got this week. I have totally tore it down going to de chrome the whole thing. Got you guys a shot of it sitting about where I want it with the trio of "Predator" carbs on top. I thinks this looks really vintage lots to trouble, I wasn't going to go to this much detail on this build but it happened. :roll:

andymac0035
Administrator

Post by andymac0035 » Sat Jun 07, 2014 5:25 am

Very nice work! :thumbsup:
Jeez.... your going to be afraid to drive this when you done with it.