Old Skool Clod build

Talk about the Clod Buster, and all other motor on axle trucks here.
Want to see your truck featured on the home page? Enter our monthly contest in the general discussion section!
Forum rules
Want to see your truck featured on the home page? Enter our monthly contest in the general discussion section!
80's MonsterMan
Approved Member

Re: Old Skool Clod build

Post by 80's MonsterMan » Tue Feb 07, 2017 10:28 pm

GRAVETXT-1 wrote:
Tue Feb 07, 2017 9:37 pm
Nice I like how the cradle is fully adjustable up or down which will help keep the stance nice and low. Cant wait to see those sixteen shocks mounted up 8) will you be powder coating the chassis digger green?
Alex,

Yeah man this chassis is bada$$, I'm going to get my quad brackets drilled tomorrow. I got the shocks how I want them to look so try & get that done hopefully tomorrow. About the chassis paint I'm going to paint it satin black this build is still going to be old skool still even though I have changed the whole build. All the parts will be painted black, going for the 1989-90 season look of Grave Digger.

80's MonsterMan
Approved Member

Post by 80's MonsterMan » Fri Feb 10, 2017 11:55 pm

Got some stuff done today,

Got the quad shock brackets marked, drilled, cut & filed. I had sicNme make them as blanks except for the two mounting holes for the axle brace. I wanted to mount the shocks as close together as possible.

Sucks doing all this precise drilling, filing on very small parts with hand tools. Man it took forever today all turned out perfect but I do enjoy the challenge.

This is how I'm going to mount the shocks, all angled back to the rear of the truck on front and rear.

Also got these upper link (gear case) mounted brackets designed with the mount hole moved back in the dip for extra bottom chassis clearance. I'll use the offset rod ends to pull it up out of the dip a bit and avoid the motor. Wanted to do this setup to sorta hide the x2 upper links, hopefully give it a more cleaner look. The mount points on the chassis will be under the bottom of chassis.

Last edited by 80's MonsterMan on Thu Feb 16, 2017 3:23 pm, edited 3 times in total.

GRAVETXT-1

Post by GRAVETXT-1 » Sat Feb 11, 2017 1:14 pm

I notice you use a hole punch as well precision drilling is simply impossible without one even with drill press. Very neat job :thumbsup:
Alex

Grim Reaper, Valhalla, Ford Of The Dead, Kings Bounty, Gauntlet, Gauntlet # 2, Clawing Dead

80's MonsterMan
Approved Member

Post by 80's MonsterMan » Wed Feb 22, 2017 9:06 pm

Stripping the chrome off the wheels, this stuff works very well. Had to leave each one in about 7 hours also had to take a tooth brush and go over the chromes spots remaining every 2 hours and eventually it will all come off.

Narrowing the wheels next, going to narrow 11/16" in total. Doing 3/8" in the front bead and 5/16" on the rear bead. I like to use a razor saw because it doesn't rough up the plastic so bad takes longer but not much sanding after words.

The JConcepts Firestorms look so much better with the stock clod wheels narrowed a good bit gives it that buldge around the tire bead. Reason I did both front & rear beads I like the look of the inner bead flipped out on front it makes the front side of rim look smaller in diameter than it really is. Also got the 5 hole design done lots of work for each wheel but I think they came out really good.

80's MonsterMan
Approved Member

Post by 80's MonsterMan » Sun Feb 26, 2017 6:05 pm

Put a set of the narrowed wheels on one of the axles this morning. Got plenty of clearance on the inside of rim. Man I just not feeling these foam inserts w/ the Firestorms. I need to trim them down about 1/4" outside diameter and 1/4" inside diameter for the rim. Also wouldn't hurt to have the width trimmed down 1/4" also. Has a flat spot on the tires and wable's like crazy with the foam inserted. Like to rum them w/o foam but I got the blue compound and they are way to soft should have got the hard compound I guess.

80's MonsterMan
Approved Member

Post by 80's MonsterMan » Sun Mar 05, 2017 4:39 pm

Working on engine all weekend. Dechromed the M.M. Hemi the block, intake, blower & injection plate came off easy with purple cleaner. But man on man the birdcatcher, two pulleys, distributor, and valve covers are chromed with copper underneath. :censored: so the purple cleaner didn't do jack to them. I had to go to Lowe's & buy some industrial outdoor bleach. They have been in there for 3 days now and its coming off but slow. At least it working though, I'm not much of a fan of chrome I like to paint engine parts to make it more realistic looking.

Got my engine cradle done and all the styrene used to mount it in it. Wanted to make it removable using the existing hole on the Hemi engine. Used 3 sheets of .040 styrene to make the main base and one sheet to make screw stop surface.

Got the head flanges made for the header primary tubes. Again on these stacked together two sheet .040 styrene super glued together.

Going to be making the primary header tubes today man lots of work on those lol.

80's MonsterMan
Approved Member

Post by 80's MonsterMan » Thu Mar 16, 2017 8:06 pm

Ok finally got the header primary tube's done up. They will be made in two parts, way to hard to get them all the same lengths with multiple bends.

I made them where they can be removed if needed I pegged them on top and bottom. On the top peg used some .035 aluminum rod to make a cotter pin.

Shaved off the molded lines on the valve cover & added the recessed spark plug wire boots.

Almost done with Hemi, still waiting on several parts in the bleach to fully dechrome.

ratpower396
Approved Member

Post by ratpower396 » Fri Mar 17, 2017 9:13 pm

looks good

ratpower396
Approved Member

Post by ratpower396 » Mon Apr 03, 2017 1:39 am

how is this project going ? saw you selling the shocks and spools hope it isn't a dead issue...

80's MonsterMan
Approved Member

Post by 80's MonsterMan » Mon Apr 03, 2017 1:46 am

ratpower396 wrote:
Mon Apr 03, 2017 1:39 am
how is this project going ? saw you selling the shocks and spools hope it isn't a dead issue...
Hey nah, those are the old shocks. I recently bought 16 of the RC4WD "Old Man" shocks & ended up putting the slip differential in instead. Build still on just waiting on parts atm hopefully they will be here soon.

GRAVETXT-1

Post by GRAVETXT-1 » Mon Apr 17, 2017 8:21 pm

Any more progress Marty how's it going? :popcorn:
Alex

Grim Reaper, Valhalla, Ford Of The Dead, Kings Bounty, Gauntlet, Gauntlet # 2, Clawing Dead

GodsLiLMistake
Approved Member

Post by GodsLiLMistake » Thu Apr 20, 2017 6:02 pm

Shoot I just glued my firestorm's, I was thinking the gold(hard)are to stiff for me, I like the feel of my Renegades that I have in blue(soft). We could have traded. Great job on the build so far. I love the hemi!!! Fit and finish looks spot on.