Old Skool Clod build

Talk about the Clod Buster, and all other motor on axle trucks here.
Want to see your truck featured on the home page? Enter our monthly contest in the general discussion section!
Forum rules
Want to see your truck featured on the home page? Enter our monthly contest in the general discussion section!
80's MonsterMan
Approved Member

Old Skool Clod build

Post by 80's MonsterMan » Fri Apr 25, 2014 12:12 am

Hey guys, I just joined the other day. My name is Marty and I love the old Clodster. Had one when I was 13 now its time for another been way too long.

The build is gonna be old skool all the way. Been out of R/C's so long don't remember crap about electronic's end of it. So I would be very greatful for all your guys input. :wink:

What I will be doing with it is mostly playing in the back yard and for looks. No bashing on this one. :lol:

Going to use the stock cans, 16 hot racing 100mm air shocks (not arrived yet for photos) aluminum 4 links when I get the ride height where I want it to order custom length ones.

Well on with some pic's got the Super Clod yesterday.

First batch of parts:

Ordered a setoff original white wheels they will be perfect for this vintage look. Clear windshield, alu. chassis brace, Hot racing adjustable motor mounts (going to install 11 tooth pinion form RC4wd), Hot racing alum. spools, dual shock mounts by CPE, Vertical servo mounts by CPE, 4 link/ shock mounts by CPE, full ball bearing set and button head upgrade for the gear boxes.

Next batch of parts: :mrgreen:

CPR outer axle stiffeners by CPE (I meant to order 2 sets for the lower CRAP! :x :lol: ), 3/8 shock spacers by CPE (won't need them for the shocks just got the in case I needed the for the lower 4 links that go to the chassis.), 16 shock mount kit by CPE, conical washers and these are my favorite non planetary hubs version 2 by CPE.

Man I was like a kid at Xmas with these hub nuts lol I couldn't wait to see what they look like. Hard to get any more old skool than that.

Been trying to get some stuff done haven't had much time this week. But have managed to shave off the steering knuckle hub tabs.

Comments are very welcome, wish I had more pic's but just haven't had time to get much done. But this weekend I plan on firing into it. 8)

>Marty<

andymac0035
Administrator

Re: Old Skool Clod build

Post by andymac0035 » Fri Apr 25, 2014 1:02 am

I like the white wheels. :thumbsup:

Based on what you've bought, I would say stick with the stock esc. Your not going to be going very fast with 16 shocks. You might want to drill extra vent holes in those wheels, because I bet that's gonna' have a stiff ride to it.

If you ever want to make that go faster though..... there are ways. ;)
viewtopic.php?f=46&t=27443&start=75

80's MonsterMan
Approved Member

Post by 80's MonsterMan » Fri Apr 25, 2014 1:57 am

andymac0035 wrote:I like the white wheels. :thumbsup:

Based on what you've bought, I would say stick with the stock esc. Your not going to be going very fast with 16 shocks. You might want to drill extra vent holes in those wheels, because I bet that's gonna' have a stiff ride to it.

If you ever want to make that go faster though..... there are ways. ;)
viewtopic.php?f=46&t=27443&start=75
Andy thanks for the advice.

About the set up I don't want it to be fast, I want it to be a lumbering, truck just like old truck were. 8) As for the shocks the rear I will have probably use 3 w/o springs and 1 w/ a medium. Front 3 w/o and 1 soft. I just want the look more than anything. It use mainly willbe some light mudd, light course use and climbing. Gonna build another later for more ppractical use and bashing. Going to also separate the front clip and cab from bed and detail the body out decently.

Marty

Justinswraps
Business Member

Post by Justinswraps » Fri Apr 25, 2014 4:09 am

Nice clean trim job on those knuckles Marty! I
Can already tell this ones gonna be awesome! 8)
Jugg1~Diablo

Check out Justin's wraps, for all your body wrapping needs!
https://www.facebook.com/JustinsWraps/

GRAVETXT-1

Post by GRAVETXT-1 » Fri Apr 25, 2014 11:58 am

Am digging the clear windshield nice build thread looking forward to seeing more progress and welcome to clodtalk :P :thumbsup: .
Alex

Grim Reaper, Valhalla, Ford Of The Dead, Kings Bounty, Gauntlet, Gauntlet # 2, Clawing Dead, Tech Noir

80's MonsterMan
Approved Member

Post by 80's MonsterMan » Fri Apr 25, 2014 10:25 pm

Thanks Justin and Gravetxt1,

Here's some more pic's of what I got done this afternoon. Man, shaving down the axle tube brace posts for the outer axle braces is a pain in my :butthead: The one side that houses all the gears is no problem but the other side is a beast to cut 1/16" off of it. I had to get creative to make sure it was completely flat for the axle tube brace to mount up against.

Since I had to cut so much off the tab on this side below, I was afraid the self tapping screw wouldn't have enough meat to grab to. So I used a button head s.s bolt and installed it form the inside. It still has plenty of clearance for the gear above it.

Got one gear case done.

Now I got to do the other one and cut down those tabs again! :x Its all fun time just time consuming.

Marty

andymac0035
Administrator

Post by andymac0035 » Fri Apr 25, 2014 10:30 pm

Looks nice and clean, but are you sure that screw head isn't hitting?
Everytime I've gone with no axle bumpers I've had to use a washer to make up the differance on that screw. I remember one time were I forgot, and the next time I opened the gearcase up, there was a slight ring worn into the backside of the gear, where the screw was scraping it. So you can see my concern looking at what you got going on there.

80's MonsterMan
Approved Member

Post by 80's MonsterMan » Fri Apr 25, 2014 11:00 pm

Thanks Andy, about the s.s. bolt it is about 1/2 mm below the line brace molding that holds the pin for the 44t counter gear. I put it together and spun it a lot and felt no drag or seen and from of rubbing on the gear.

Man you got me paranoid now, :shock: I probably to be on the safe side should use my dremel and shave that button head down a little. Do you know what the clearance is for that bolt hole to the gear?

Marty

Edit: I took a pic after I grinded down the s.s bolt. Check it out I tried to get the best close up of it as I could.

What you think, it wasn't rubbing before I grinded it down so now it should be plenty of clearance?

andymac0035 wrote:Looks nice and clean, but are you sure that screw head isn't hitting?
Everytime I've gone with no axle bumpers I've had to use a washer to make up the differance on that screw. I remember one time were I forgot, and the next time I opened the gearcase up, there was a slight ring worn into the backside of the gear, where the screw was scraping it. So you can see my concern looking at what you got going on there.

andymac0035
Administrator

Post by andymac0035 » Sat Apr 26, 2014 12:11 am

If it isn't rubbing.... well then I wouldn't worry about it. :)
I still say that set of axles I had was cursed anyways.... :lol:

SFC K
Administrator

Post by SFC K » Sat Apr 26, 2014 12:13 am

You are off to a really nice start on this build. I think you have plenty of clearance now. You are really throwing some nice parts at this one. :popcorn:
Jeff

80's MonsterMan
Approved Member

Post by 80's MonsterMan » Sat Apr 26, 2014 12:45 am

Yeah I'm pretty ok with the clearance now Andy I think it will be just fine. Lol what happened to your "cursed axels"? :lol:

Oh yeah thanks Jeff, for the compliments. Man I'm still waiting on my 16 100mm hot racing air shocks I bought from bizzare hobbies on ebay last Saturday. :?

Really like to get them because all im gonna use from the CPE 16 shock mount is the upper brackets. Im gonna make new lower ones becasue I want the shock to have a V-shape when going form the top to the bottom. And I want the ride height in the front to be 1/4" taller than the rear. I think it will have a swet rake to it old skool style. :wink:

Marty

andymac0035
Administrator

Post by andymac0035 » Sat Apr 26, 2014 1:11 am

Cursed axles got sold.... ironically back to the person I bought them from. They had changed hands twice before he got them..... and he has since sold them off again. I had them pretty well sorted out by the time I sold them..... but they sure have been around the block a few times.

80's MonsterMan
Approved Member

Post by 80's MonsterMan » Sun Apr 27, 2014 3:46 am

Just playing around this afternoon with the frame / body ride height. Not much I can do till more of my parts come in. :roll:

I want both fender openings to be level with the top rails of the chassis shock wells. Actually it will be level all around because the front fender openings are higher than the rear. I just mocked up this look I will be making custom aluminum mounts for the body since it will all be separated. But this is about where I want it to be nothing in concrete until I get the chassis completely done to see where my clearances are going to be.

80's MonsterMan
Approved Member

Post by 80's MonsterMan » Tue Apr 29, 2014 1:11 am

Hey guys I need some help / advise. Never messed with adjustable motor mounts.

Check this first photo out and lmk if I have this installed right? :oops:

And I'm using a rc4wd 11 tooth steel pinion gear. What do I need to do to ensure its on the motor shaft just the right length for the counter gear? And how do you check to see if you have it tight enough to the counter gear. The clearance between gears?

Thanks guys I really appreciate your help and knowledge. 8)

Marty

SFC K
Administrator

Post by SFC K » Tue Apr 29, 2014 1:46 am

It looks to me that you have it installed correctly. I don't use adjustable motor mounts but Andy is our resident expert.
Jeff