SG's First Clod - now Crawler

Talk about the Clod Buster, and all other motor on axle trucks here.
Want to see your truck featured on the home page? Enter our monthly contest in the general discussion section!
Forum rules
Want to see your truck featured on the home page? Enter our monthly contest in the general discussion section!
132NHAF
Administrator

Re: Another Newbie (from Aus)

Post by 132NHAF » Wed Apr 24, 2013 3:20 pm

I really like the way you extended the wheel base without swapping out the stock tub. I also agree with the shock mounts. I've used both setups and except for the captured-shock end links, the link mounts seem to twist a lot. I like the axle brace mount much better.

You mention swapping out springs for a softer ride. I have done the same thing, but went outside of the RC shops for my springs. My local ACE hardared store has drawers full of springs. I found some that fit perfectly on my long shocks. When I sit the truck down it has about 1/2" of race sag. Super smooth on the bumpy stuff.
Scott T

Stickers...Get your ClodTalk stickers here: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=25953

It's not WHAT toys you play with, but that you play with toys at all that is important.

andymac0035
Administrator

Post by andymac0035 » Wed Apr 24, 2013 3:21 pm

Nice!
And you won't have to worry about a certain someone scolding you about a child using R/C's any more. :wink:

Sixtys Guy
Approved Member

Post by Sixtys Guy » Wed Apr 24, 2013 9:51 pm

132NHAF wrote:I really like the way you extended the wheel base without swapping out the stock tub. I also agree with the shock mounts. I've used both setups and except for the captured-shock end links, the link mounts seem to twist a lot. I like the axle brace mount much better.

You mention swapping out springs for a softer ride. I have done the same thing, but went outside of the RC shops for my springs. My local ACE hardared store has drawers full of springs. I found some that fit perfectly on my long shocks. When I sit the truck down it has about 1/2" of race sag. Super smooth on the bumpy stuff.
Thanks mate! I'm happy with the chassis brace/extender. The stock tub was broken and (20 years ago) I made a brace that is similar to the ESP unit. I was orginally just going to buy longer links for the 4 link but I thought it would turn it into a crawler with a heap of suspension movement. I thought a lot about how I would do it and this idea came to me.

I thought about using Wraith springs as they are really soft (I think I would have to buy the whole shock), but they would probably be too soft. Even the stock springs seem a little harsh, but it's pretty good still.

Sixtys Guy
Approved Member

Post by Sixtys Guy » Wed Apr 24, 2013 9:52 pm

andymac0035 wrote:Nice!
And you won't have to worry about a certain someone scolding you about a child using R/C's any more. :wink:
:wink:

Sixtys Guy
Approved Member

Post by Sixtys Guy » Sun Apr 28, 2013 9:21 am

Seeing as though the original body is a little worse for wear, I put this cheap body on that I bought off ebay a couple of months back. When I first bought it I didn't like it, but once I added the stickers I thought it looked ok. The front is a little high - I have some shorter body posts on the way. It's a bit cheap - thin in some spots and a lot thicker in others, but it will do the job.

I broke an axle shaft yesterday when I ran into a brick ( :roll: ). The first casualty form the front locker I'd think. I ordered some stainless steel shafts from RC4wd. I just have to wait 2-3 weeks for them to turn up :x

I bought some RC4wd Rumble tyres a few weeks back as well as some TXT wheels to use on my Wraith. I bought these as I was lead to believe that they were smaller and lighter than stock Clod tyres. They are marinally smaller and weigh approximately 30 grams less.

This thread explains a bit about the size of the Rumbles; http://www.rc4wdforum.com/showthread.php?t=11116
I seem to have the larger tyre with the harder compound. At first I was a little dissapointed with them as I expected them to be quite a bit smaller in diameter. It turns out though they are perfect as I have decided to sell my Wraith. I have contemplated over the last few weeks about making the Wraith into a Monster Truck. I have now decided to sell it to fund buying a TXT2. In the mean time I have a Ground Pounder on order so the Rumbles will be fitted to this truck.

I have also made the decision to ditch the Nimh for Lipo's. Could have saved myself some $$ if I had made this decision 6 months ago, but oh well. Just researching ESC's and BEC's atm.

The worst thing about getting back into Clods is how long I have to wait for parts! Pretty much nothing stocked here in Aus, or if it is the prices are ridiculous.
Attachments
DSCF6714.JPG
DSCF6714.JPG (113.64 KiB) Viewed 207 times
DSCF6713.JPG
DSCF6713.JPG (115.94 KiB) Viewed 207 times
Last edited by Sixtys Guy on Sat Jul 08, 2017 6:52 am, edited 1 time in total.

Sixtys Guy
Approved Member

Post by Sixtys Guy » Tue May 21, 2013 1:12 pm

As expected the axles took a couple of weeks to arrive :evil: . Got the broken axle swapped out and while I was at it did the axle tube mod on the front. I bought some spare SS axles from RC4wd, so in the future I can get it back running straight away.

Also fitted up the Rumbles. I'm not 100% sure which tyres I'm going to run on which truck yet.

Ground Pounder, TXT-2, Rumbles, Stock Clod
Attachments
DSCF6790.JPG
DSCF6790.JPG (113.29 KiB) Viewed 206 times
DSCF6789.JPG
DSCF6789.JPG (112.74 KiB) Viewed 206 times
Last edited by Sixtys Guy on Sat Jul 08, 2017 6:53 am, edited 1 time in total.

Sixtys Guy
Approved Member

Post by Sixtys Guy » Wed May 29, 2013 7:56 am

Took the Clod for it's first run today with the Rumbles on. Heaps of traction. The gravel hill over the back fence is no match for the Clod now with the Rumbles on and twin diff locks. Also strapped the phone to the Clod with the GPS speedo app on it. 14.4km/h or close enough to 9mph. Speed Demon!

Sixtys Guy
Approved Member

Post by Sixtys Guy » Thu Jul 25, 2013 8:56 am

Been a while, but I have doen some mods to the Clod... I was just going to keep the silver cans, but after getting a couple of HPI Firebolts for my TXT-2 I decided I would put a couple in the Clod. Speed went from 14.4kmh to 22.5kmh. Same gearing and tyres and still running nimh 7.2 batteries.

I also wanted the look of dual shocks. I didn't want to go to the expense of buying new springs and oil, so I replaced the two hole disc in the Maxx shocks for the three hole discs and then used Tamiya Super Soft oil (which is apprently 400wt, which is apparently 34wt). Comparing them to the TXT-2 shocks, they were still a bit stiff. The cheap way round was to empty the oil from my spare set of Maxx shocks and not run springs on them, essentially making them 'dummies'. I made up a new set of dual shock mounts out of some 20x12x1.4mm aluminium angle. I reckon they came out alright! The shocks work nicely, I'm happy with the way they came out.

I also changed the stock wheels for chrome TXT-1 wheels and mounted the Redcat Shock Therapy Body.
Attachments
IMG_20130725_113213 (2).jpg
IMG_20130725_113213 (2).jpg (250.35 KiB) Viewed 205 times
IMG_20130725_113114 (2).jpg
IMG_20130725_113114 (2).jpg (251.52 KiB) Viewed 205 times
Last edited by Sixtys Guy on Sat Jul 08, 2017 6:59 am, edited 1 time in total.

andymac0035
Administrator

Post by andymac0035 » Thu Jul 25, 2013 3:39 pm

That looks good. :thumbsup:
I would reverse the shock pairs though. Putting the sprung ones on the inside.
It's hard to explain.... but your axle tubes will live longer if you do.

Sixtys Guy
Approved Member

Post by Sixtys Guy » Thu Jul 25, 2013 9:00 pm

The only reason I did that was that the outer shocks compress more than the inner shocks, so I get more travel. I'll see how I go.

Do you know if the Associated Monster GT shocks are any good (obviously too stiff in stock form)? They have the fake reservoir and they look pretty cool.

andymac0035
Administrator

Post by andymac0035 » Thu Jul 25, 2013 9:06 pm

SFC K would know...... but I suspect they are too long.
I know the savage shocks are really long, not sure on the MGT.

Sixtys Guy
Approved Member

Post by Sixtys Guy » Thu Jul 25, 2013 9:29 pm

I think the associated shocks are 5mm longer and 1mm larger in diameter. Not sure if this means the springs are inter changeable.

Sixtys Guy
Approved Member

Post by Sixtys Guy » Fri Apr 25, 2014 8:43 am

Holy thread revival!

I just got this one back up and running. It was semi stripped to use as parts for my other trucks. Now I got it back together, but had to rob some parts off my Jugg2 to get it 100%. I ditched the 'dummy' shocks to use on another truck, s0 I am now running one shock per corner. I replaced the stock Clod springs with some red units that I picked up a while ago. They feel to be slightly softer than Clod springs. Also fitted some TTR 32mm wideners.

I have a set of B&H tyres on the way, so the Jugg tyres will make way for those. I also removed the Firebolt motors and replaced them with silver cans. The Firebolts didn't seem to be going so well, major Clod Stall. This truck will be used more as a crawler type of rig so the kids can enjoy it as well.
Attachments
DSCF8106.JPG
DSCF8106.JPG (122.03 KiB) Viewed 204 times
Last edited by Sixtys Guy on Sat Jul 08, 2017 7:00 am, edited 1 time in total.

Sixtys Guy
Approved Member

SG's First Clod - now Clod Pounder

Post by Sixtys Guy » Sat Oct 25, 2014 8:20 am

I ended up morphing the axles off this truck with my Ground Pounder chassis. I had many frustrations with the GP (viewtopic.php?f=49&t=27960)

I am using this as a crawler type rig and also my son uses it as it is nice and slow. I have a couple of mods to make to it, but it will essentially stay like this. It has the following mods;

* 4ws switched via GP Radio
* VXL-3S esc
* B&H Tyres
* Novak 5 amp BEC
* Ground Pounder chassis with aluminium angle to brace it
* Locked Clod axles
* CPE Stock Clod links
* CPE steering rods
* Mattzilla bumpers
* Level3RC shock mounts
* Associated Monster GT shocks
* RCloverr shock springs
* NowingHobby wideners (25mm each side)
* Silver Cans

We had an excavator guy around today digging up some garden beds. I asked him to remove a large shrub that was taking up room in the front yard. It was a little more difficult that it looked and he snapped an axle, so couldn't fill in the hole where the shrub had been. Not a bad thing!
Attachments
DSCF9023.JPG
DSCF9023.JPG (135.92 KiB) Viewed 203 times
DSCF9015.JPG
DSCF9015.JPG (125.54 KiB) Viewed 203 times
DSCF9012.JPG
DSCF9012.JPG (128.74 KiB) Viewed 203 times
Last edited by Sixtys Guy on Sat Jul 08, 2017 7:01 am, edited 1 time in total.

GRAVETXT-1

Re: SG's First Clod - now Clod Pounder

Post by GRAVETXT-1 » Sat Oct 25, 2014 11:59 am

Wow he snapped an axle :shock: looks like he had a coming together with the tree as well or is that branch cuttage action?

Nice wide stance on this truck your trademark style 8)
Alex

Grim Reaper, Valhalla, Ford Of The Dead, Kings Bounty, Gauntlet, Gauntlet # 2, Clawing Dead