SG's First Clod - now Crawler

Talk about the Clod Buster, and all other motor on axle trucks here.
Want to see your truck featured on the home page? Enter our monthly contest in the general discussion section!
Forum rules
Want to see your truck featured on the home page? Enter our monthly contest in the general discussion section!
Sixtys Guy
Approved Member

SG's First Clod - now Crawler

Post by Sixtys Guy » Thu Feb 21, 2013 10:21 am

Hi all. Great site! I've been addicted for the last couple of weeks!

As a teenager in the late 80's I owned a few Tamiya models, starting out with a Wild One and then a 2nd hand Fox. My real interest though was in the Monster Trucks. The Clod Buster was the ultimate, but way above my pocket money! I ended up with a Blackfoot, which I modded with a Grave Digger body and larger tyres (although for the life of me I can't remember which ones).

Fast forward a few years and I picked up a 2nd hand Clod Buster for $20!! It was in pretty bad shape. The bottom of the chassis was broken along with the shock mounts on one ladder bar. The body mounts were also broken and the body cracked. The body had been reinforced with some ply sheet. I fixed it up - made a cradle out of 1.6mm gal sheet (bent it up on the bending machine at work), made a bracket for the shock and screwed the body to the chassis with 3/16 bolts. I didn't use it much as the 1200mah battery would last around 10 minutes and I lost interest. Around 10 years later I swapped it to a mate for him doing some mechanical work for me.

Last year I bought my 4 year old son a cheap rock crawler rc off ebay. I started using it and got hooked! I started researching and ended up buying an Axial Wraith. I love it! It suits me perfectly - I love the rock crawling ability and the 'rock racer' ability too. When I decided to buy it I decided that I wouldn't modify it as I didn't want to get hooked on spending too many $$ on a hobby. Plus, married now with two kids, there are plenty of other things to spend the $$ on.

About two weeks ago I decided that I would buy some wheel spacers for the Wraith so it wouldn't roll so easily when cornering. i googled it and then bought some form Junfac. Whilst googling I got onto youtube and found clips on the Clod Buster. I wondered how much fun the Clod Buster would be now. My mechanic mate now works at a local auto parts store. I wandered in and whilst buying some random part that I didn't need enquired about the Clod Buster that I had traded to him quite a few years ago now. When he said he still had it but doesn't use it, I asked him if he wanted to sell it back to me. Yes! So I bought it off him for $80!

The condition is no better, but thats ok. The antenna on the receiver has been cut and the push on battery cap is missing. The MSC looks as though it might be burnt out. So here I am, ready to mod!

So my plans so far.......

Stage 1 (getting it going again);
New battery cap (ordered from CPE)
New ladder bar (ordered from CPE)
New Transmitter & receiver (ordered and received - Flysky 2ch pistol)
New ESC (ordered - Tamiya 106BK)
New shocks (ordered - E Maxx shocks)

Stage 2 (making it as fun as the Wraith)
CPE-4L16 4 Link Kit
CPE-CONM3 Conical washers
CPE-SHK3 shock mounts
CPE-SER4 2 x hd servo
Servo Y Harness - reversing
CPE-SER3 Servo saver x2
CPE-SER2 2 x Servo mounts
CPE-STR3 Steering links
Diff lock in the rear
8.4 volt Nimh batteries

I have been pestering Brett now for 3 weeks (he has been very patient!) and he has been very helpful. The plan is to stretch the wheel base to aorund 13" using the stock chassis with the longer 4 link kit. Fix the steering. Add a little more mumbo, using the 8.4 volt pack and the stock Mabuchi 540 motors. I think I may have jumped the gun on the ESC that I bought though..... it looks as though it won't handle 8.4 volts.

The most frustrating thing atm is the wait on freight to get gear here to Aus from the US.

The only crappy pic that I have right now..... (sorry for the long intro!)
Attachments
DSCF6618.JPG
DSCF6618.JPG (113.24 KiB) Viewed 763 times
Last edited by Sixtys Guy on Sat Jul 08, 2017 6:40 am, edited 3 times in total.

SFC K
Administrator

Re: Another Newbie (from Aus)

Post by SFC K » Thu Feb 21, 2013 12:00 pm

Welcome to the site! It looks like you are off to a great start.

The ESC you chose is not the greatest and at 8.4 volts it will not work. I would not even go with nimh packs. You should look into going with a single 2s Lipo. That will provide plenty of power for you. You will need some type of low voltage alarm though so you do not discharge the lipo to low. They are super cheap and so are the lipos.

Check out the link below. Turnigy batt's have been pretty good for me so far.

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/index.asp
Jeff

Bracz
Approved Member

Post by Bracz » Thu Feb 21, 2013 1:19 pm

Yes, welcome to the board. Looks like you've got a pretty good list of parts for a fun truck there. If you've got any questions, don't be afraid to ask. There's a lot of helpful folks on here!

Kingclod27
Approved Member

Post by Kingclod27 » Thu Feb 21, 2013 2:38 pm

Welcome aboard...and welcome back to the addiction lol

Sounds like you have a great plan!
The Original Monster Truck

SPEED.......I..AM..SPEED

http://www.youtube.com/user/geeboo27

Sixtys Guy
Approved Member

Post by Sixtys Guy » Thu Feb 21, 2013 8:38 pm

Thanks for the welcome guys!

I have to say that I am a little wary of the whole lipo battery thing. I'm happy running the Nimh for a while as I have a couplef those packs for the wraith (albeit 7.2V). I might have to shelve the 8.4v plans for a while and just run the Tamiya ESC.

A couple of questions.......

1. Can anyone see any issues with running the CPE long links on the standard chassis? Wheel base should be about 13" or so (pretty much the same as the Wraith).

2. Has anyone tried the SCX10 body on a Clod? I know it usually happpens the other way around!
Last edited by Sixtys Guy on Sat Jul 08, 2017 6:40 am, edited 1 time in total.

andymac0035
Administrator

Post by andymac0035 » Thu Feb 21, 2013 8:49 pm

I would make a stretched chassis (and I did) before I used long links on a stock clod, but that's me.

viewtopic.php?f=46&t=23804&start=330

As for a body that drops onto a stock WB clod......look at my avatar.
That yellow and black body came of an HPI e-savage.
For a more "wraith-like" WB, pro-line makes that raptor body for the 3.3 T-maxx. I have that body and plan to use it on my E-maxx, but it lines up with the wraith's WB very well.

I have run several 8.4v nimh packs through tamiya esc's with no issue's, so I personally would not frett about that...you may want to stay with what you are comfortable with. Ultimitly though you really need to help yourself out and learn/understand about lipo's.....once you try it you will NOT ever want to go back..brushed or brushless, lipo's are THAT much more superior it's not even close.

Oh.....
And I have a wraith too.... :)

Sixtys Guy
Approved Member

Post by Sixtys Guy » Fri Feb 22, 2013 8:27 am

Hi Andy , thanks for the reply. I have read your build..... All 37 pages! I reckon you're right about educating myself about lipos..... I'll stick with what I know for the time being.

Trip..

Post by Trip.. » Mon Feb 25, 2013 10:13 pm

I run a pair (wired in parallel) 7cell 8.4 batteries with my stock esc, it runs just fine. With the stock motors I get about 25-30 min of runtime. I just bought cheap $12 Traxxas packs off Ebay. Stock E-Revo batts.

If the ESC gets too hot it will just shut down, no big deal just let it cool off and it will be fine. Same seems to happen when it gets wet too, but I can't recommend submerging it though.

TamiyaTony
Approved Member

Post by TamiyaTony » Tue Feb 26, 2013 1:24 am

Welcome to the show. It's nice to see that you are bringing that neglected beauty back to life. You're gonna have a lot of fun!

:P
My son... ask for thyself another kingdom... for that which I leave is too small for thee.

Sixtys Guy
Approved Member

Post by Sixtys Guy » Tue Feb 26, 2013 2:01 am

Thanks guys! Thanks for the tip Trip.. I only just saw a pic of your Clod. That looks awesome!

The waiting for parts is killing me! I think delivery from the US to Aus is around 3 weeks. It's been 2 weeks already........

Trip..

Post by Trip.. » Tue Feb 26, 2013 2:18 am

no problem, glad to help!

91lxcoupe
Approved Member

Post by 91lxcoupe » Tue Feb 26, 2013 2:19 am

welcome to the show! im a newb to who also owned clods enjoy the site

Sixtys Guy
Approved Member

Post by Sixtys Guy » Sun Mar 17, 2013 6:24 am

Nothing too exciting happening, just waiting for parts :? It seems postage from the US is anywhere from 2-4 weeks and around 4 weeks from Asian countries.

Seeing as though I have had a long time to think about it, I have now come up with a plan;

Full bearings
CPE 4 Link kit
CPE vertical servo mounts front and rear with high torque servos, CPE steering links, Kimborugh servo savers
CPE shock mounts (that mount to the upper gearbox brace)
Inner axle stiffeners
Locked rear diff
Extend wheelbase by around 3 inches by cutting and then bracing the stock chassis
1" wheel wideners
T Maxx shocks
Tamiya ESC
El cheapo ebay body (I think it is off a 1/8 HSP monster truck)

So if my theories work out the Clod will be 3.25" longer, 2" wider and around 1/2" taller, altough I am hoping to have the height still around stock.

In the mean time I'm mucking about with the Wraith, reading everyone elses thread and watching episodes of Monster Jam!

Sixtys Guy
Approved Member

Post by Sixtys Guy » Fri Mar 22, 2013 12:21 pm

After what felt like an eternity, prety much all of the parts the I had on order turned up on the same day! I'm just waiting on the wheel wideners now.

It looks as though I intended - longer wheelbase, but same height. I took on Andy's advice (somewhat!) and instead of going with extended links on the stock chassis, I extended the 'chassis cradle' by 80mm. It is made of 3mm aluminium which is massive overkill. I haven't run it yet as I haven't organised the electrics. Hopefully should get that done tomorrow so I can run it in the arvo.

The only problems that I had so far was trying to work out where the conical washers went on the CPE steering links (thanks Andy). Also I shaved off the steering stops only to discover that the CPE inner axle stiffeners limit the steering to where the stops were anyway. I shaved some plastic off the inner side of the hub as well.

While I was waiting for parts to turn up I put the Clod Wheels on the Wraith. The gearing was way out, but this wasn't as much fun to drive as I thought it would be.......

I'll post up some better quality pics tommorow, but for now.......
Attachments
DSCF6621.JPG
DSCF6621.JPG (250.91 KiB) Viewed 761 times
DSCF6630.JPG
DSCF6630.JPG (250.95 KiB) Viewed 761 times
DSCF6629.JPG
DSCF6629.JPG (247.96 KiB) Viewed 761 times
Last edited by Sixtys Guy on Sat Jul 08, 2017 6:45 am, edited 1 time in total.

andymac0035
Administrator

Post by andymac0035 » Fri Mar 22, 2013 3:46 pm

So did you split the chassis and use the aluminum to make up the difference?
In-other-words....we want pics! :mrgreen:

What was your wraith's gearing?...stock?
I have used stock gearing, but mine was set up using brushless from the get-go.
I recently tried a 27t brushed motor....and burnt it up, but that one was not running right before I installed it. I really think though, that a 550-sized brushed motor (and it's added torque) is needed for running clod tires. You need to notch the bottom pan to make the work though.
I also noticed no wideners on the wraith, I bet you had massive tire rub.
I bet it torque-twisted really bad on you as well......