Aluminum gear boxes and axles for racing Clod

Talk about the Clod Buster, and all other motor on axle trucks here.
Want to see your truck featured on the home page? Enter our monthly contest in the general discussion section!
Forum rules
Want to see your truck featured on the home page? Enter our monthly contest in the general discussion section!
vonclod
Approved Member

Re: Aluminum gear boxes and axles for racing Clod

Post by vonclod » Fri Jun 08, 2012 7:24 pm

i had bought a set of integy cases..and they were warped, caused binding in the tranny, in general they use poor materials and zero customer support, the clockable integy clod tubes are decent though
if freedom of speech is taken away
then dumb and silent we may be led
like sheep to the slaughter

SFC K
Administrator

Post by SFC K » Fri Jun 08, 2012 8:53 pm

For me I had shocks that leaked right out of the bag and shock the shafts were weak. I also had some skid plates that were not all that great. Holes would not exactly line up with the chassis holes on my MGT. They never include instructions with anything. The clear clod gear covers I just installed had to be filed down in order to get the axle anti rotation braket mounted which was really annoying even though they are super cheap.
Jeff

Psychophant

Post by Psychophant » Fri Jun 08, 2012 11:38 pm

Wow, a lot of QC issues with Integy, but sounds like the tubes are a good gamble and usually come out OK. Only about 30 bucks for a pair, so not a lot of risk.

vonclod
Approved Member

Post by vonclod » Sat Jun 09, 2012 1:00 am

yes the clockable ones are real nice..not all they(integy) make is crap in fact they make some cool stuff but i,m weary of them now in general
if freedom of speech is taken away
then dumb and silent we may be led
like sheep to the slaughter

Irio - esos
Approved Member

Post by Irio - esos » Sat Jun 09, 2012 3:05 am

I've actually had good luck with integy so far. I use the aluminum tubes on my crawler and have held up great. Gonna get a set when I go brushless on my racer and see how they do though. I also use the integy t-maxx shocks on my crawler. Had them just under a year now and still no leaks. Of course thats on a crawler so no rapid movements but its not a shelf queen either, they take some abuse. I know you hear lots of bad stuff about integy, but if you're poor like me the parts are 1/4 the cost of jps stuff and still hold up decently.

nosyajg
Approved Member

Post by nosyajg » Sat Jun 09, 2012 8:08 am

Psychophant wrote: Wow, thank you for that information. That was comprehensive. I'll get integy tubes/knuckles as well, and stick with the plastic like you suggested unless we run into some JPS boxes. The clod we're doing has a CPE Predator chassis with the rear steering bracket. You think the integy tubes/knuckles will need to be modified for this (drilling holes, etc)?
nosyajg wrote: in my mod-class truck, i use the firebolt motors, and with a bigger pinion, it has good speed on 2s lipo......
We haven't used anything but the stock pinion. How are your results improved with the pinion you use versus stock? Would we need something to adapt to the size you use? I know we're using dual 2s so things are different.

This is somewhat unrelated, but we've also been wondering if dual 2s is too much power for this setup because the tires spin in place quite a bit before taking off. Maybe the stock 20-year old tires have something to do with it.
the integy tubes/knuckles dont need to be modified...if you run the stock metal axle tube brace, that has to filed very slightly to fit onto the tube...i cant remember what the rear steering bracket youre talking about looks like, but it shouldnt be a problem...

my mod-class truck was my former outlaw-class truck, and i ran dual 4600kv castle motors on 3s with it...the integy stuff held up fine (for me, the hot racing stuff was weak)...

as far as pinion size, you may be able to get away with a 15t pinion by just removing the brass tubing where the motor screws go into...it worked for some, and didnt work for others...to use any pinion size bigger, you need to pick up a set of adjustable motor mounts, and depending on the size you go, you may need to grind part of the gear case- this applies if you go large on the pinion, i *think* at 17t, you still dont need to grind anything, but i could be wrong...a bigger pinion works better, as long as the battery and motors can move it...it's a cheap and easy way to gain more speed...i run 20t and 22t pinions in my race clods...

2s is fine...it's the old tires that are slipping...if you can run just one 2s, i think that'd be better, as you wont be carrying the extra weight of the 2nd battery...

i know integy comes across as crap, and i had crap integy products before as well, but their clod tubes/knuckles i really like...

Psychophant

Post by Psychophant » Mon Jul 30, 2012 9:37 pm

nosyajg wrote: 2s is fine...it's the old tires that are slipping...if you can run just one 2s, i think that'd be better, as you wont be carrying the extra weight of the 2nd battery...
Okay. I'm concerned that I might have done something to one of my gearboxes by pushing them with dual 2s. Could I have tweaked something in one of my gearboxes by pushing 4s through them? I'm thinking I need to step down to 3s anyway to make sure I don't hurt my new gearboxes. What do you think?

nosyajg
Approved Member

Post by nosyajg » Tue Jul 31, 2012 9:27 am

is something wrong with them now? i dont think it's likely you woulda damaged it, but anything is possible...

i dont really think the gearboxes could be damaged with 4s, unless you did some really crazy air and landed on it hard...what motors are you running 4s with?

todd ritchings
Approved Member

Post by todd ritchings » Tue Jul 31, 2012 10:27 am

I run a 4s in my clod and all is good with tacon moters !

Psychophant

Post by Psychophant » Tue Jul 31, 2012 3:28 pm

Well, one gearbox has noticeably more resistance turning the axle than the other one after a couple runs. I took it apart and reassembled that gearbox 3 times, still acted the same. Could not figure out where the extra resistance to turning was coming from. The other one just broke open from hitting a curb, and not that hard, but these two boxes are about 20 years old. Got it from a guy I know who had it sitting around collecting dust. That's where this whole rebuilding project started. First one I've ever done to an rc btw, I really chose a whopper to learn on come to find out.
:mrgreen:
So I'm guessing the problem was their age and not a good example of the durability and reliability of clod gearboxes.

Powerram426hemi
Approved Member

Post by Powerram426hemi » Thu Aug 23, 2012 5:52 pm

I just received my Integy alum gear boxes in the mail today... I found a set on ebay for 30 bucks each so for 60 bucks I snagged them... Im gonna also get a set of there axle tubes before i get ready to do the swap... I already have there alum knuckles and im hoping for metal gears inside....

Psychophant

Post by Psychophant » Thu Aug 23, 2012 7:40 pm

Powerram426hemi wrote:I just received my Integy alum gear boxes in the mail today... I found a set on ebay for 30 bucks each so for 60 bucks I snagged them... Im gonna also get a set of there axle tubes before i get ready to do the swap... I already have there alum knuckles and im hoping for metal gears inside....
The only thing that concerns me about getting aluminum gear boxes is denting that would occur over time. I have no idea if this causes issues for anyone. That reminds me, I should probably get a skid plate.

Powerram426hemi
Approved Member

Post by Powerram426hemi » Sun Sep 30, 2012 2:49 pm

I purchased Integy Alloy Cases and MC-01 Blue axle tubes and knuckles a few weeks ago and finally im getting around to installing them in my Rockbull crawler and Im having issues with the fit of the cases it seems the poopy chrome job or just bad fit in general is preventing me from getting all the nuts to go threw and catch the other side... Im going to attempt to "debur" them and see if that fixes the problem... Anyone had issues with this before??? check out the truck here viewtopic.php?f=46&t=26792&start=15

frogs84ss
Approved Member

Post by frogs84ss » Sun Apr 21, 2013 3:00 pm

so I'm reading this thread and thinking about my upcoming clod build I had a set integy axle tubes and wasnt impressed and thought about the hot racing ones. I found the hot racing ones on ebay and they state they are machined 6061 both knuckles and axle tubes. I might just try the axle tubes fisrt with stock knuckles I never broke one of those just mostly axle tubes but I suppose if go aluminum on the axke tubes I'll probly break knuckles. but just wanted to throw it out there that the hot racing ones say they are machined.
If it's green it's for me

frogs84ss
Approved Member

Post by frogs84ss » Sun Apr 21, 2013 3:13 pm

or do you just go with the cpe stiffeners? so many choices lol
If it's green it's for me