Aluminum gear boxes and axles for racing Clod

Talk about the Clod Buster, and all other motor on axle trucks here.
Want to see your truck featured on the home page? Enter our monthly contest in the general discussion section!
Forum rules
Want to see your truck featured on the home page? Enter our monthly contest in the general discussion section!
Psychophant

Aluminum gear boxes and axles for racing Clod

Post by Psychophant » Thu Jun 07, 2012 6:11 pm

My son and I rebuilt an old used clod we got from someone (probably about 20 years old) and redid it with a CPE Predator, with dual 2s lipos, new receiver, etc. After running it around for about 15 minutes, we broke a dogbone. I ordered some, put on new ones, and after another 15 minutes or so, my son hit the front gearbox on a curb, cracking it. We really didn't run it that hard, and my son rides it with more caution than me, so I'm thinking

a) the plastics are 20 years old and worn down, need replacement anyway, and/or
b) replace these plastics with aluminum housing, axles, etc.

I see Hot Racing and Entigy makes aluminum gearboxes and axles for the Clod, but they all seem to say they're for crawling, and my son wants to race it around. I'm okay with him not being able to win any tournaments if it means we can keep the thing from breaking so quickly and easily, but I also know these gearboxes and axles weigh in at around 1 1/3 pounds, which I believe is a lot heavier than the stock plastic. Running HPI Firebolts in it right now.

Waddayathink? Would it run too slow for a racer?

SFC K
Administrator

Re: Aluminum gear boxes and axles for racing Clod

Post by SFC K » Thu Jun 07, 2012 8:43 pm

Good day and interesting question. I know guy's here have broke axles in the past but it's not all that common as you are thinking. When you say dogbone what exactly are you talking about? The Clod does not have them. It has the straight axle that goes out to the hub which holds the drive cup and spindle. Usally the axle tubes break on these, not the case.

Also, don't get Integy parts. They are not worth it and everyone on here will say the same thing. Stay clear of them! They look nice but are not. If you can find JPS axles and cases that is the way to go but have been discontinued. You can find them on Ebay now and then but plan on paying a mint for them.

Edit: JPS complete axles can be found here...

http://www.jpspro.com/photogallery/gear ... mplete.jpg

I would get some new plastic parts that are not old and brittle like you have and replace the axle cases and axle tubes. The rest is pretty easy later on to replace if it breaks. just by $.02.

Good luck, Jeff
Jeff

Psychophant

Post by Psychophant » Thu Jun 07, 2012 8:51 pm

SFC K wrote:When you say dogbone what exactly are you talking about?
I was referring to the dogbone axle tubes; I wasn't very clear.
SFC K wrote: I would get some new plastic parts that are not old and brittle like you have and replace the axle cases and axle tubes. The rest is pretty easy later on to replace if it breaks.
Thanks for the advice Jeff. I'll avoid Integy. What about Hot Racing? I might look around for some JPS stuff out of curiosity, but since I don't know if they'd be any good for racing, I don't know if I'd get them even if I found them.

Anywhere sell new Clodbuster gearboxes and axles preassembled? We are a getting a little tired of unassembling and reassembling those over here!

SFC K
Administrator

Post by SFC K » Thu Jun 07, 2012 8:56 pm

Yeah, you can get them from a lot of different places. I use Tower hobbies a lot and if you find a code for cash off your order it helps. Just search for Towerhobbies codes. Not all work but some do. Ebay is a good place to look too. Usally a one axle set goes for around 70 bucks. If you can find two for under $100 that is a good deal.

I'm not a racer but I think the lighter the truck the faster. Aluminum looks cool and is more durable but weighs these trucks down. Not to familiar with HR clod stuff.
Jeff

vonclod
Approved Member

Post by vonclod » Thu Jun 07, 2012 9:15 pm

i think the hr stuff is decent, they are machined cases as opposed to the cast integy ones..my jps cases are actually pretty light but they are hard to find
if freedom of speech is taken away
then dumb and silent we may be led
like sheep to the slaughter

vwjuice
Approved Member

Post by vwjuice » Thu Jun 07, 2012 10:39 pm

I have Integy Wheel wideners/adapters and those are good, but seriously it's kind of hard to screw those up. :lol: I also have the Integy ball diff which looks and feels ust like a TTR unit but I have yet to run it. Generally speaking Integy parts are known to be weak, but these are the exceptions that I have found. I also have Hot Racing aluminum knuckles and those are pretty nice. I do recommend Hot Racing parts, but I agree try some new plastic cases first and see how those do.
SFC K is my hero!
All bow down before the great terminator-smilie!

vonclod
Approved Member

Post by vonclod » Fri Jun 08, 2012 12:23 am

vwjuice wrote:I have Integy Wheel wideners/adapters and those are good, but seriously it's kind of hard to screw those up. :lol: I also have the Integy ball diff which looks and feels ust like a TTR unit but I have yet to run it. Generally speaking Integy parts are known to be weak, but these are the exceptions that I have found. I also have Hot Racing aluminum knuckles and those are pretty nice. I do recommend Hot Racing parts, but I agree try some new plastic cases first and see how those do.
lol i have the balldiffs too..and yet to run them as well.. maybee soon...ish

vwjuice
Approved Member

Post by vwjuice » Fri Jun 08, 2012 12:30 am

Hahaha. I will run the ball diff in the front of the Zilla.
SFC K is my hero!

vonclod
Approved Member

Post by vonclod » Fri Jun 08, 2012 12:39 am

well i have a set of the jps dual motor cases..the chassis i had made for them was ripped off by the powdercoater :evil: so i,m just waiting for something cool to come along chassis wise..see how they handle big power..maybee balldiffs f/r or locked rear but that will probably end up in busted rear gears though

vwjuice
Approved Member

Post by vwjuice » Fri Jun 08, 2012 12:52 am

I'm going locker in the rear and the ball diff in the front. Hoping that will allow the back end to slide more in the turns.
SFC K is my hero!

nosyajg
Approved Member

Post by nosyajg » Fri Jun 08, 2012 8:15 am

i'll play devils advocate here...

the JPS stuff is light, since it's made from billet aluminum, but pricey and hard to come by now...the integy stuff is cast, but much cheaper...

that being said, i do have a clod with full aluminum gearboxes and a clod with plastic gearboxes and integy tubes/jps knuckles (front) and hot racing knuckles (rear)...and i just got a set of integy gearcases, and JPS tubes/knuckles, for a truck i plan to build this weekend...

the integy stuff works great...the integy gearboxes are heavy, much heavier than the JPS counterparts...but the tubes and knuckles are similar...i never had a problem with any of my integy tubes/knuckles...i wont buy any hot racing tubes/knuckles again...the tubes wore funny in the kingpin area, even though it had bearings, and the steering arm on the knuckles bend easily...they aren't as beefy as the integy/jps units...

here's a pic of the JPS knuckle and a hot racing knuckle on the truck...

i also got a different screw shipped with one, and i tried to email the company, but got no response after several emails...i wont be buying any hot racing clod stuff anytime soon...

in my mod-class truck, i use the firebolt motors, and with a bigger pinion, it has good speed on 2s lipo......

anyway, i'd go for the plastic gearboxes and the integy tubes/knuckles (dont get the HD version integy tubes/knuckles- stick with the regular stuff)...an argument that was brought up before was that the price of the aluminum would buy 3x as much plastic units...while true, i'd rather so it once and forget about it...also, my time to disassemble the chassis and gearboxes is worth the extra durability of the aluminum units...

Psychophant

Post by Psychophant » Fri Jun 08, 2012 2:48 pm

nosyajg wrote: anyway, i'd go for the plastic gearboxes and the integy tubes/knuckles (dont get the HD version integy tubes/knuckles- stick with the regular stuff)...an argument that was brought up before was that the price of the aluminum would buy 3x as much plastic units...while true, i'd rather so it once and forget about it...also, my time to disassemble the chassis and gearboxes is worth the extra durability of the aluminum units...
Wow, thank you for that information. That was comprehensive. I'll get integy tubes/knuckles as well, and stick with the plastic like you suggested unless we run into some JPS boxes. The clod we're doing has a CPE Predator chassis with the rear steering bracket. You think the integy tubes/knuckles will need to be modified for this (drilling holes, etc)?
nosyajg wrote: in my mod-class truck, i use the firebolt motors, and with a bigger pinion, it has good speed on 2s lipo......
We haven't used anything but the stock pinion. How are your results improved with the pinion you use versus stock? Would we need something to adapt to the size you use? I know we're using dual 2s so things are different.

This is somewhat unrelated, but we've also been wondering if dual 2s is too much power for this setup because the tires spin in place quite a bit before taking off. Maybe the stock 20-year old tires have something to do with it.
Last edited by Psychophant on Fri Jun 08, 2012 3:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

vwjuice
Approved Member

Post by vwjuice » Fri Jun 08, 2012 3:38 pm

That is an awesome write up. I have been thinking of getting the hot racing tubes and knuckles. That's good to hear about the integy stuff and the difference between integy and jps.

After looking t the pic of the knuckles I'm thinking I might have jps units. Mine are bigger like that and bolt on.
SFC K is my hero!

TamiyaTony
Approved Member

Post by TamiyaTony » Fri Jun 08, 2012 5:04 pm

I've always been a fan of Integy stuff because of low cost and great looks. I would suggest trying their parts out for yourself before believing any here say about longevity. Those who have had bad experiences probably beat their trucks to death on a daily basis, so breaking parts is part of the game for them regardless of what brand. As stated before, Integy parts are heavier but spot-on replacements to the stock parts so there are no compatibility issues. I really don't see any weak link in their stuff, but would be interested to read up on anyone's experiences. I guess I have no worries because I run with brushed motors and less power than the brushless LiPo guys. Like anything in life, more power means increased stresses and weak points become exploited that much faster.
My son... ask for thyself another kingdom... for that which I leave is too small for thee.

vwjuice
Approved Member

Post by vwjuice » Fri Jun 08, 2012 5:37 pm

My experiences with integy stuff has been very mixed. The A-arms I had on my stampede wore out extremely quick. The hinge pins holes were egg shaped after maybe 15 packs. And that's with nothing greater than a 17t brushed motor and nimh packs. The front spindles however have never shown any signs of wear. On my mini-t I've had different issues. Everything fits great and no signs of water on everything and it has ridiculously stupid amounts of 3S brushless power in it. The body mount screws always break off in the shock tower and same with ball studs. That's the issues I've had with integy stuff. Fellow racers have had issues with parts not fitting quite right.
SFC K is my hero!